Archived Was getting rid of the cashier score a mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HRZone

Former ETL HR
Let me preface this by saying I get that it was a flawed metric. The suspend key made it easy to beat but I have noticed our cashiers working so much slower than before.

Now in theory the change made sense, better guest experience and no rush would lead to more Red Cards but I will speak for my store our RCS are flat.

I think when people backup they work quickly so they can get off the lanes. However a cashier doesnt have that luxury whether they go fast or slow they remain on a lane. And I see some of our old ladies just taking their sweet time then they point guest to lines that are short of people backing up so those folks never get off a lane.

Honestly from a cashier standpoint i preferred the speed scores, even with the people taking forever to pay I rarely was ever not green by the end of my shift and it helped my metrics, now all I'm graded on is redcards which suck. I do make more of an effort to promote the cartwheel app and red card now that is it gone by I know I'm going slower than I would if we still had speed scores.

From my personal standpoint, electronics tm and ASANTS standpoint - cashier scores never really meaned anything. Why make cashiers rush in promoting red cards, cartwheel, etc when you give them no time. Also, hardline TMs who back up and other cashiers as well, not everyone can bag super quickly.

I feel like it should be there just to encourage cashiers to not take their dear sweet time (aka Walmart cashiers) scanning and bagging things but the only time it should matter/ be brought up is if you have consistent Rs and Ys. It's really not hard to get Gs

I think average wait time for a guest should be a score for GSA/GSTL. Are you calling for back ups? Scheduling breaks correctly? Basically doing your job and not hanging out at Starbucks. Unless your getting them change no need to hang out over there.

I think average wait time for a guest should be a score for GSA/GSTL. Are you calling for back ups? Scheduling breaks correctly? Basically doing your job and not hanging out at Starbucks. Unless your getting them change no need to hang out over there.

Our GSTL would be like, "But the Starbucks girls are cute!"

Rant: every GSA/GSTL if you want people to back up for you, get them off the lane when you get new cashiers. Backups are usually put on the front lanes (we have stacked lanes) so if no one takes you off your line never ends.

Did it actually go away though? I was on a lane today and the speed metric was back.

I only ever really noticed it when I would get guests who "accidentally" came to the Express lane with 50 items and didn't give a rat's behind that they were making other guests miserable. Otherwise, it's never been a big deal for me

what are the secrets to bagging quickly? do you look at the items on the belt and try to bag similar items or just scan and put similar items in the 3 bags??

what are the secrets to bagging quickly? do you look at the items on the belt and try to bag similar items or just scan and put similar items in the 3 bags??
I scan several similar items, then bag all at once. When you get to the last item, hit total, then bag the items.

From my personal standpoint, electronics tm and ASANTS standpoint - cashier scores never really meaned anything. Why make cashiers rush in promoting red cards, cartwheel, etc when you give them no time. Also, hardline TMs who back up and other cashiers as well, not everyone can bag super quickly.
Speed is one if the most important factors in the checkout experience. That last 5 minutes is the most important and if its spent in line, waiting to be rung up, they're not going to react well. Idk if TMs can look at it, but speed is the most mentioned thing in myguest.

I was just thinking about that today. I miss the speed scores. Yes it was flawed, but those flaws could have been fixed by having the clock stop when you hit total, or have it not be a metric, but more of a reference point for yourself and for the GSTL to see who perhaps needs additional guidance. I can definitely tell the difference between cashiers who were around when speed scores were there and those hired after they were gone. We are much faster and more efficient. We might be slower now, but when things get busy, those of us who know how to go fast start flying. The others just keep going slow and look stressed out.

Also With hours as short as they are and the floor on a skeleton crew, if we can quickly get guests out the door, we can reduce how much we have to call for backup.

As someone who is "The Express Cashier" of my store; it would *really* help if guests weren't so lazy and actually went to regular lanes when they had more than 10-15 items. I've had guests come to my lane with 40+ items, only to of course look at the 10 item sign after they've clogged the belt (Which has typically happened while I'm helping other guests and before I can say anything)

As someone who is "The Express Cashier" of my store; it would *really* help if guests weren't so lazy and actually went to regular lanes when they had more than 10-15 items. I've had guests come to my lane with 40+ items, only to of course look at the 10 item sign after they've clogged the belt (Which has typically happened while I'm helping other guests and before I can say anything)
oh that guest with 40 items KNEW it was express put did not care, "oops I never saw the sign, sorry, might as well continue here".

I havr beeen saying it was a mistake from yhe start. What is the metric that grades the performance? In the new AE we can't even expect cashiers to get red cards anymore. Is everything based on a survey now? Nobody takes surveys.
What's the difference between a good cashier and a shitty one?

Our checkout process is incredibly slow. It feels slow when I'm on a lane, (and I'm very very fast) so it's even slower with just the average person. I don't blame the lack of scoring though. I blame the selling of redcards, issues with cartwheel, issues with price discrepancies, and for my state, getting used to the charging for bags. It's like a third of transactions can't be a simple process, because there's always something "wrong."

Our checkout process is incredibly slow. It feels slow when I'm on a lane, (and I'm very very fast) so it's even slower with just the average person. I don't blame the lack of scoring though. I blame the selling of redcards, issues with cartwheel, issues with price discrepancies, and for my state, getting used to the charging for bags. It's like a third of transactions can't be a simple process, because there's always something "wrong."
I feel the same way. It would be so much faster if our spiel could be done in like 2 minutes and guests could be in and out. I'll also add the occasional guest who just takes their sweet damn time fiddling with change, different cards or just not paying attention at all.

Oh no I don't want that score.

I'm not even getting enough cashiers scheduled to cover straight through the day. I have gaps in coverage. And when your sales floor team is scheduled the same way, it's dang hard to give a fast guest experience.

Near the line where people stand for exchanges/returns we have a movie theater like divider....on the first "pole" it says only ten items....and when people come up with too many items, generally speaking, we send them over to the lanes. so people learn pretty quickly that they aren't going to get very far with lots of items.

Of course, we have a pretty steady guest base, so many of the people have learned how we tend to do things.

I havr beeen saying it was a mistake from yhe start. What is the metric that grades the performance? In the new AE we can't even expect cashiers to get red cards anymore. Is everything based on a survey now? Nobody takes surveys.
What's the difference between a good cashier and a shitty one?
Wait, where does it say we can't expect them to get Red Cards? I don't remember seeing that.

Wait, where does it say we can't expect them to get Red Cards? I don't remember seeing that.

Yeah, same because just the other day we got a big new poster hung on the Vibe wall...all about RCs and why every single guest *needs* one.

I'll find the "reading material" I had a few weeks ago. It was all along the lines of Red Cards are not what we should be focusing on because the guest experience is what really creates loyalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back