We should stop accepting personal checks UNLESS to get Target Debit Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
I covered for a cashier last night and THREE people paid by personal check and ALL sneered at suggestion for Target Debit Card. Apparently none wrote checks at Target before as DL had to be scanned, one was rejected. It slowed the front down significantly as these persons asked for pens, pulled out checkbooks, double checked the screen, struggled to cleanly pull the check out after entering it into their little balance book and then finally giving it to me as I felt death stares from the Guests behind in line.

I'll spare you but a brief iteration* on the rejected party. I offered to try for a RedCard credit card (as they often get approved for piddly amounts IF things have already been rung up).

I feel for full time cashiers. I think I spent a good 4 minutes on two and *9 on the rejected person and she had perishables that she had to leave.

I know Target is moving to stop being required to accept some credit cards (mileage cards) so why not just require those that want privilege of check writing in our store to get debit cards?

I hate how mad people get when they write a $500 check and they haven’t written one at target almost ever and it gets denied. They act like I denied it personally. I always ask if they write checks frequently at the store before they write it and warn them, but they don’t listen to me and insist because they have money in that account it WILL go through.

@no nix nein ...I agree.

I now can remember the ones with the Target Debit Card, too, that get all worked up because Target limits them on how much they can "write" for a brief period. While the DC isn't a CC, we're still extending them credit in the sense of trusting those funds are in their checking account.

Guests :rolleyes:

Yeah no elderly person past 80 is going to give up their checks, for example. Just take the damn check.
I did, of course, but the one was rejected so not only took a lot of time but we can't restock perishables, had to toss.

That's about $80 of food (meat & dairy) on that bill. Whole bill I think just over $120.

Last edited:
I did, of course, but the one was rejected so not only took a lot of time but we can't restock perishables, had to toss.

That's about $80 of food (meat & dairy) on that bill. Whole bill I think just over $120.

$80 worth of food vs. over $100,000 daily profit. FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO CARE ABOUT

Premium Cards - If there was a way to stop it they would have already, processing of regular cards is usually 1% of the purchase. Premium cards are like 2%-3% per swipe.

Checks - As long as banks issue checks, Target will accept them. Technology for checks has advanced for same day drafting of funds and better fraud detection. If you drop checks in lieu of the Target Debit Card, Target will lose the entire check writer market or older shopper market.

If a check is rejected, just return it to the guest and ask if they would like to make payment by other means.

It will be interesting if Target stores will ever start accepting PayPal accounts or BitCoin.

Last edited:
$80 worth of food vs. over $100,000 daily profit. FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO CARE ABOUT
None of our individual stores have a $100,000 profit in a day. That would require about $4,000,000 in sales for that day (grocery wise). I just was surprised that people are so snotty. With that one I guess they were hoping to pass a bad check as no optional form of payment.

None of our individual stores have a $100,000 profit in a day. That would require about $4,000,000 in sales for that day (grocery wise). I just was surprised that people are so snotty. With that one I guess they were hoping to pass a bad check as no optional form of payment.

You must have a melt down when someone pays in WIC?

Uhhhhhhh......

Anyway, do your job.

Not
You must have a melt down when someone pays in WIC?
Not at all. IMO it's simple to process. Nothing to it. I've noticed a lot of cashiers seem intimidated by WIC but I find it simple. No card read error, no scanning of bills. Just write in the amount on WIC voucher, verify ID and done. I suspect those that get confused with WIC haven't been trained.

ONLY time I can remember any bugaboos is if we're out of "cheapest" eggs or milk or don't have a particular baby food. If we process with disallowed brands Target won't be paid. Those are oddities though.

Lol are you volunteering to be the ones guests bitch at when they're told they can no longer use checks??
Fine with me! I can't even THINK of a high volume chain store where staples such as groceries are routinely purchased that DIDN'T require some sort of application for a check card and most recently, debit cards.

It's a no brainier. Simplest thing on planet, IMO.

I pondered and cannot come up with so much as one SINGLE reason why anyone would refuse a debit card EXCEPT if they might write checks on insufficient funds.

Fine with me! I can't even THINK of a high volume chain store where staples such as groceries are routinely purchased that DIDN'T require some sort of application for a check card and most recently, debit cards.

I pondered and cannot come up with so much as one SINGLE reason why anyone would refuse a debit card EXCEPT if they might write checks on insufficient funds.

Or....that they're old as fuck and aren't looking to adopt new payment methods into their life. Who gives a shit about this? You have the easiest job in the whole store.

Uh, the risk of identity theft?

You need to get out more because alot of people write checks more than you think. I'd say between CVS and Our Store we have at least 10 checks a day. No they aren't from lowlifes who are trying to pass bad checks. Some people like to balance their bank account the old way. You are complaining about the weirdest things on this site. What next that we offer cart wipes????

You need to get out more because alot of people write checks more than you think. I'd say between CVS and Our Store we have at least 10 checks a day. No they aren't from lowlifes who are trying to pass bad checks. Some people like to balance their bank account the old way. You are complaining about the weirdest things on this site. What next that we offer cart wipes????
Yes, please! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back