Archived Well, today was the day I had to say goodbye to half my long term friends at work

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you'll find that like the instocks team going away and other programs that this is a test for certain stores and in certain districts where they think they can get away with it.
Maybe for this one it's informal and they will back off when the job market changes or make it permanent so they can do internal hires whichever works out for the best but right now we're only going to see the pain in some places which is why you are getting the mixed posts.
It also seems like a great way to clear the decks in certain areas of long term employees that cost the Spot more in terms of high end benefits.

Just like tellmeaboutatime said.. when they rolled out the new core roles for TLs it still says high school diploma. I'd like the OP to show me a copy of their core roles where it says differently. If it doesn't... well then I smell a lawsuit?

If the company decides to "kill it off," do all the former team leads get their jobs back? Don't answer that...I know better.

If this happened at my store virtually all our team leads would be out of a job. I think that only three of our team leads have degrees.

I feel sorry for the two TL's that stayed on at your store. What are they going to do when they have to train their replacements? It is not easy when you step down, believe me. I was able to do it, but some days were harder than others. I am through that now after being a TM for 10 months and it helps that I probably make as much or more than most TL's at my store.

I have a feeling your store and others like it are going to go through a rough transition for a few months.

I'll go ahead and say it, everyone else is thinking it. I don't buy this for a second. Seriously. It's either totally fictional or truth that has been very stretched. Prove me wrong and I'll apologize, eat crow, whatever. Until then, I'm not buying it.

I'll go ahead and say it, everyone else is thinking it. I don't buy this for a second. Seriously. It's either totally fictional or truth that has been very stretched. Prove me wrong and I'll apologize, eat crow, whatever. Until then, I'm not buying it.

Yeah.. I have to say I'm calling B.S.

Just like tellmeaboutatime said.. when they rolled out the new core roles for TLs it still says high school diploma. I'd like the OP to show me a copy of their core roles where it says differently. If it doesn't... well then I smell a lawsuit?

Same here. In fact both the TL, sTL and ETL core roles have degrees only as desired not required. They would not have different core roles for a few stores without inviting legal action.

Experience over anything. I'd rather have Tl's who have been with target for years and actually know how to lead, rather than some idiot new hires who aren't knowledgeable about anything.

My store has about 2 tls who have college under their belt, but do have lots of experience, and the rest have 5-6 years of experience under their belt and lead tremendously. I sure hope this does not happen at my store, everyone will be dissapointed.

If a TM has a bachelor's degree, I would question whether they wanted to move up with Target (most I have met do not want to...)
If a TL has a bachelor's degree, then they need to be put onto a development plan to make them into an ETL! The whole point I am trying to make is (by Target's standards) an ETL job requires a degree while a TL job does not, so therefore a TL with a degree is a waste of talent and resources! The company isn't managing talent well if there are TLs sitting with 4 year degrees! I think TLs should be attending school in some form however, making them a strong talent pool for ETL staffing choices....

So, even if the TL already has a degree you think they should continue to take classes so they have the opportunity to become an ETL. Well, I guess I'm going to disagree there. No ETL that I have met really requires a master's degree or higher to do what they are doing. In fact, I'd go so far to say that I don't think that a college degree is necessary at all to do what they do. This is retail. Unless one plans to move on to Minneapolis and work at the corporate level or become an STL, I truly believe that a degree is not necessary for anything more than personal development.

So, even if the TL already has a degree you think they should continue to take classes so they have the opportunity to become an ETL. Well, I guess I'm going to disagree there. No ETL that I have met really requires a master's degree or higher to do what they are doing. In fact, I'd go so far to say that I don't think that a college degree is necessary at all to do what they do. This is retail. Unless one plans to move on to Minneapolis and work at the corporate level or become an STL, I truly believe that a degree is not necessary for anything more than personal development.

That isn't what I was saying... Ultimately my point was that you will have TLs without degrees and without going to school (PG11), then you will have two groups of TLs without degrees but who are currently attending classes (PG13 is regular, PG15 is HIPO), then in ULV stores you will also have Senior TLs who will receive their spots based on the same qualifications that the PG13 and PG15 positions did...

The point you bring up (TLs who already have degrees), don't fall into any of these categories because I don't think they should exist! The STL and ETL staff are wasting talent if you have TLs who already have degrees and these TLs should just skip all the paygrades and be put onto a development plan that will get them straight to ETL in the next 6 months to a year unless they absolutely do not want to keep moving up with the company! I don't think a retail job requires a degree either, but corporate does and I am offering a system that encourages the TLs to go to school and get their degrees!

Im a team member about 2 terms from my associates. I asked my TL to work with me on a development path. I was surprised to find out she had a h.s. diploma only. Then I was surprised that any bachelors degree can qualify a person for etl. But I suppose it is an indicator of the willingness to learn.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back