Logistics What are your leadership tips for success?

I'm starting back at Target soon as a GM1 TL after being gone for a long time and the store I'm going to has a very, very broken GM Process. It's a brand new store to me, and from what I gather the team just got off of overnights and are still very stubborn about their 4 hour shifts. During my interview walk the softlines sort looked horrendous and I have no idea how to go about that. It's also a very high volume store so I'll be just one of 6 leaders overseeing GM.

Those in high volume stores, or even lower volume stores that have found success, what are your proven methods to making sure you're not getting behind every day? What are your tips to making sure your team can hammer out their price change or sales planners for the week with such limited hours?

Obv. not looking for sarcastic "oh it's impossible" responses.

You're gonna have to fire majority of them or show them the purpose of what youre trying to accomplish. I was in a similar position a year ago, and it took ALOT of hard work and tranining and getting the right people in place.

You might want to walk the store at night. Spot's goal is no hours & increase workload. The old ways are gone. Make sure everyone is trained for all tasks & communicates to you on what is tasks are completed.
Note: if the profile picture is you, you might want to change it.

So what do you own as gm1?
This will make a large difference on how you plan your day.
As each GMTL owns a different process, the focus is a bit different even though your team includes DBO’s.
The knowledge and experience of your peers also plays a major role. We have 3 GMTL and my two peers are still learning PC and SPL so THEY and ALL their
DBO’s and every vendor come to ME with every, fixture, fixture room, signing, pog, pc question. Even our SETL don’t teach the cashiers much so I answer a lot of their questions. Answering and helping, even for a few minutes, eats up HALF my day. The burden of being one of the last standing originals.
Tell us your GM process (inbound/transition/flex) and we can tailor a useful answer.

I found when I was helping cover a dept in another store where the TL quit is to essentially run the dept like a mini-store with the old way of doing things.
None of the DBOs knew POG, or PC, or really anything apart from pushing truck and 1 for 1s.

So what I had them do was TM X was responsible for POGs and therefore was the old "POG team" of the team of sorts. Team member Y would do PC. Team member Z would really dig into instocks and so on and so on, so that on top of making sure the floor was filled in their respective areas, they all got to help out throughout the department and have something that they A. specialize in and B. can be singularly held accountable for. They could lean on each other of course when say POG was light but PC was huge or whatever, but I found that giving them each a baby to take care of really helped them focus instead of shrugging and saying "maybe the next guy will get that POG" or "maybe tomorrow we'll do our PC."

I only had a few days a week there, but it really seemed to help, and more and more was getting done on the days I'd be at my own store.

This will make a large difference on how you plan your day.
As each GMTL owns a different process, the focus is a bit different even though your team includes DBO’s.
The knowledge and experience of your peers also plays a major role. We have 3 GMTL and my two peers are still learning PC and SPL so THEY and ALL their
DBO’s and every vendor come to ME with every, fixture, fixture room, signing, pog, pc question. Even our SETL don’t teach the cashiers much so I answer a lot of their questions. Answering and helping, even for a few minutes, eats up HALF my day. The burden of being one of the last standing originals.
Tell us your GM process (inbound/transition/flex) and we can tailor a useful answer.
That’s why I was wondering what the op owns .

First off, expect that you need to personally jump in. They don't want us to but there's absolutely no way TMs can get all their workload done in the hours they are giving them.

However only jump in a reasonable amount. Expect them to finish truck and one for ones but chances are price change and SPLs more often than not will be on you.

Also make sure whoever is scheduled to close your area helps out a bit. The Closing TL often has their own process but if shit needs to get done ask for help, most team leads are reasonable.

As stated above be willing to jump in and support your team .You said you own inbound. How long does the unload take? You should utilize the inbound team to push whoever gets the most workload so you can give time for dbos to get tor their price change and sales planners. My pp1 tls have check list for their dbos

Back