I'm Lost! What do I do as a checkout advocate?

So I have two more days of training. My first real shift is coming up on December 1st as a checkout advocate. I applied for a guest advocate, but I'm so scared to be put on schedule because I still feel lost.

Does this mean I have to stay on register all day?
Does checkout advocate mean I can work at self-checkout and the service desk too?

I also noticed that some of the cashiers during my training would walk around and empty out everyone's hanger/unwanted stuff bins. Like, do they tell me if I have to do that or do I just chose to when I want to???
And do they set me up at a certain register every shift or do I chose my own register? I don't get anything, I'm confused. They didn't really tell me much, but my cashier training is over already oefisdgajgbfg

I really hope they put me on self-checkout or the service desk more often more than the cash register lol. '

You’ll be told where to go at each shift. And after breaks/meals.. Depending on your store you could play musical chairs each shift and move to cover breaks/meals for SCO/service desk. Focus on the fundamentals first and get great at those, that will lead to more maneuverability! As far as emptying hanger bins and collecting reshop and baskets just take advantage of a slow minute to show initiative to keeping your own lane clean 😁

Checkout Advocate means cashier, Service Advocate means service desk. Guest Advocate covers all of the front end positions.

You'll likely be on a register all day, save breaks and lunch. The people working service desk (or the team lead that day) will tell you which register to go on. Make sure you talk to them. At my store, we write out our break schedules and sometimes a cashier is coming in when another needs to go on break so we swap them around.

The cashiers you saw emptying hanger bins were likely looking for something to do, but you should try to empty your hangers and your reshop whenever your shift is over.

As Anelmi said, it's not likely you'll be at the service desk until you've proven yourself as a cashier and I expect self-checkout to be similar.

Hey!! Ok so the number 1 thing to do is not stress out about it!! Just keep yourself at a calm state! So pretty much you can choose which register you want to go to and you can place your break schedule which they will give you everyday there! If you see that there is no line or it is empty, you can definitely just go and collect people's hangers or reshop, Make the checkout aisles look, or bring the left baskets to the front of the store!! Normally if you are on checkout, you will not be going to the service desk and self checkout is only for if they tell you to!! Hopefully this helped!! Good luck:)

You will not be at service desk until you prove yourself as a cashier. ASANTs but that's how it is at my store.
yeah not at my store...we almost always put newbies up there and almost every cashier knows everything about SD and could step in to be the GSA at any time but of course asants so yeah

Back