Archived What happens if you walk out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time a Target team member quits without notice or abandons their job, God kills a kitten. Think of it as a little corrective action lol, but please don't consider this a victimless crime!

Recently, I am starting to see why Target requires a degree for ETLs..... I learned all of this in business classes at community college. STLinMaking, if you were actually an "STL" you would have just opened up Target to a mega lawsuit....

No big deal, if they did infact become open to litigation, it will probably be settled out of court. Both sides will start throwing $400 dollar gift cards at each other until the matter is settled. I learned a lot about the legal practice watching Saul Goodman's character on breaking bad. Better call Saul!

Yeah, I've had employers threaten to withhold the last paycheck until uniforms were returned. It wasn't legal, but they still did it banking that most people either didn't know it was illegal or wouldn't want to fight them on it.

If you worked the hours, they have to pay you.

It's not that they are saying they won't pay you, just that you have to return everything first. In actuality, if they paid you outright and you didn't give the uniforms back, a case could be made for theft of their property. This will vary greatly from state to state, and like I said, a good company will be clear on this matter up front before you even start with them.

It's not that they are saying they won't pay you, just that you have to return everything first. In actuality, if they paid you outright and you didn't give the uniforms back, a case could be made for theft of their property. This will vary greatly from state to state, and like I said, a good company will be clear on this matter up front before you even start with them.

That's true, they could get you for theft of property, but they still cannot delay your (final) paycheck for any reason in most states. It doesn't matter if they tell you up front about it or not....come pay day, they have to give you your check, because you worked those hours. If they want to pursue damages against you for loss of property, they are well within their right, but cannot do so by delaying or taking it out of a paycheck.

In other words, if Joe comes in for his last paycheck, and doesn't have his shirts with him, they still have to give him the check. Now, they can either sue Joe or file a police report for theft, but they absolutely must give him his paycheck if it is payday and Joe has followed all other standard procedures. I'd be interested in what state you are thinking of where this is not the case....there may be such a state, but it would be the exception and not the rule.

Last edited:
http://resources.lawinfo.com/en/leg...-what-circumstances-can-a-final-paycheck.html

This is for California, purposely chosen because I don't live there. There is no circumstance where an employer can hold a final paycheck or take an unauthorized deduction from it. Interestingly enough, CA appears to require that you pay the employee when you fire them. So they wouldn't even have all the property with them, in that case. Again, I would bet that most employers don't follow that and would just pay them on the regular payday and try to withhold stuff, again hoping people are unaware of the laws which govern their state.

In some states.....where I live.....jobs that are of a seasonal nature have their own quirky rules. If you are a seasonal employee and you are issued items by the company then that company has the right to withhold your check until all items are returned. This actually allows the employee to be the one making the decision.......Keep the company issued items and the company keeps the check....OR return the company issued items and then your paycheck is released. So, withholding is possible.....and this information is covered in orientations and in the handbook that you must sign for to say you've read it.

While Target hires seasonal employees, Target is not a seasonal company.....so seasonal rules don't apply here. However, company issued items (Target or other stores) may have to be returned in order to be able to receive your final paycheck.

But remember rules and laws vary quite a bit....so it helps to know your rights on these things before you do something stupid like walk out of a job.

In some states.....where I live.....jobs that are of a seasonal nature have their own quirky rules. If you are a seasonal employee and you are issued items by the company then that company has the right to withhold your check until all items are returned. This actually allows the employee to be the one making the decision.......Keep the company issued items and the company keeps the check....OR return the company issued items and then your paycheck is released. So, withholding is possible.....and this information is covered in orientations and in the handbook that you must sign for to say you've read it.

While Target hires seasonal employees, Target is not a seasonal company.....so seasonal rules don't apply here. However, company issued items (Target or other stores) may have to be returned in order to be able to receive your final paycheck.

But remember rules and laws vary quite a bit....so it helps to know your rights on these things before you do something stupid like walk out of a job.

What "company issued items" would a TM have to return? TMs should not be taking home *any* Target property. If you are taking PDAs, walkies, etc home.... you are in for a surprise when AP finds out.....

What "company issued items" would a TM have to return? TMs should not be taking home *any* Target property. If you are taking PDAs, walkies, etc home.... you are in for a surprise when AP finds out.....

Uniforms for a TPS or SFT, keys for SrTLs and other key carriers. They may not be seasonal positions, but they're all still non-exempt.

Early AM Team Leaders. In my store, the Flow TL and Backroom TL carry keys (we're low-volume, so no overnight and LOD doesn't come in until 7 AM). They're both keyed in the system as "Logistics TL - Key Carrier" and get an extra $1/hr for it.

Early AM Team Leaders. In my store, the Flow TL and Backroom TL carry keys (we;'re low-volume, so no overnight and LOD doesn't come in until 7 AM). They're both keyed in the system as "Logistics TL - Key Carrier" and get an extra $1/hr for it.

Now that I think about it I Think my Flow TL has keys.

SFTs are issued uniforms that run about $300 a year if you get new ones all the time, as well as being issued keys that we sign off on(no security or perimeter, but we have keys to access and run pretty much everything else). Many of us will also have a small 2 AA flashlight and a multi-tool that we take home for the shear convenience of putting them on when we get ready for work. All in all, I'd say we could have $700(ballparking the key cost) in company property at given time outside of the building.

At my store every tm/tl/etl/lod/etc has key cards but we are all keyed to different doors. If we are termed we have to give the card back. We can't let any other tm/tl/etl/etc borrow our cards for any reason.

While Target doesn't have many "company issued items" there are some businesses who do. Some of the issued items could be shirts, name tags, windbreaker coats (if you're in a job that requires you to be outside), special work aprons, gloves, company IDs......just a few examples.

If you did this at my store it wouldn't make a difference. The GSTLs PDA will start sounding off or vibrating if a TM doesn't clock out on time. So at that point I guess they would just clock out for you. Rest assured, you'd still be fired. :p

If you did this at my store it wouldn't make a difference. The GSTLs PDA will start sounding off or vibrating if a TM doesn't clock out on time. So at that point I guess they would just clock out for you. Rest assured, you'd still be fired. :p

no one can clock out for you unless you mean the ETLhr when they fix your missed punch when they key your term

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back