Archived What is a cart attendant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I worked my first shift about two weeks ago and was not scheduled until tommorow and now have a full schedule. I noticed one day next week is a cart attendant. What do they do. Just get carts from outside?

Yes, also help with guest carry out. Take trash, pick up large items like tvs and furniture from the fire hall. Clean toilets.

Typically a big hallway near the backroom.... a emergency exit

Here’s your job in no semi priority order....

1) collect carts from the outside and make sure the cartwell is full. Clean carts as needed.

2) check, clean, restock restrooms every hour.

3) assist carry outs as requested.

4) take out interior and exterior trash as necessary

5) clean and stock checklanes when possible

Depending on your store they might also ask you to bail bulk cardboard and toss trash but that’s an ASANTS deal.

Our CA does carts but also picks online orders and takes out drive up orders. Assists with backup guest service at times.

Depends on the store too. All of the cart shifts I've worked have been carts + collecting hand baskets from the front + working pulls.

Depending on your volume and district, some stores actually have day porters that tend to cleaning the store throughout the day as well (floors, trash, bathrooms, etc). Most inner-metro stores in Minnesota have had these for nearly 2 years now. The only core responsibilities the cart attendants have to tend to are collecting carts and carry-outs and then any tasks their GE Lead/ers have for them.

So I worked my first shift about two weeks ago and was not scheduled until tommorow and now have a full schedule. I noticed one day next week is a cart attendant. What do they do. Just get carts from outside?
  • Carts yes
  • Carryouts yes
  • Restroom checks yes
  • Stocking lanes more than likely
  • Backup cashier yes
  • Trash yes
  • Gather and take back Hangers more than likely
  • Make sure motorized carts are charged yes
  • Maintain cart pusher if your store uses one
  • Distribute baskets yes
  • Take back Defectives back to Chargeback and Compactor maybe
  • Empty carts of trash yes
  • Dry off carts yes
Depending on your store's operations, you could also be...
  • Stocking Spill stations
  • Pushing tubs (SB/FA, FrontLanes, Market)
  • Covering breaks for cashiers
  • Recyclables
Specifically for carts, you will have to have a training session on proper cart limits (and cart pusher use).
How to fill carts inside
Proper use of bringing carts inside
Locations of extra carts
Opening duties
Closing duties
Safety vest
Between Memorial Day and Labor Day, scheduled CAs can wear shorts. Hot Climate stores may extend dates.

Some days its relaxing and other days you are struggling to keep carts inside.

Dry off carts???

gMscglN.gif

School me on that, bro.

Dry off carts???

gMscglN.gif

School me on that, bro.
Not a cart attendant, but many a times after a rainy day, Karen or Susan will come up to the service desk and demand someone dry off a cart (especially the ones for two kids... Idk what they're called) because "they're all wet."
No shit, Susan Sherlock.

Not a cart attendant, but many a times after a rainy day, Karen or Susan will come up to the service desk and demand someone dry off a cart

Yes, this! Susan went ballistic on our GSTL when there weren't any dry carts. Never mind that it had been raining off and on for days and not a single retailer in our area dries carts to begin with. Susan, if you don't want your little snowflake to get wet, either wrap them in Saran wrap or stay home! Preferably the later.

Not a cart attendant, but many a times after a rainy day, Karen or Susan will come up to the service desk and demand someone dry off a cart (especially the ones for two kids... Idk what they're called) because "they're all wet."
No shit, Susan Sherlock.
Tell them to pay you $3/cart just to dry it off. It's a service out of your 'core roles'.

LOL @ "wet carts."

Fuck em!

ourHaOw.gif

STAY HOME WHEN IT RAINS!!!
Like, who the fuck goes out in the rain to venture out to Target when there is 99 other better things to do even if 99 other things consist of doin absolutely nothin!

It's ok to shop in bad weather, just realize the goddamned carts may be wet. Bring a towel!

The best and worst things about Carts...

The worst thing is having to watch out for diaper bombs. Just turn the cart over and dump it out.

The best thing about carts occasionally guests forget items in their cart. Wallets, purses, purchases....

The biggest pet peeve I had was neighboring store carts in the corrals way after they closed. If I ever found a neighboring store's carts in the cart corrals, I just stack them upside down in front of their store. Or leave all the days diaper bombs in them.

Last edited:
Just turn the cart over and dump it out.

What? Throw that shit on the lot? NO. Pick it up and dispose of it. If soiled diapers scare you, you'd better move on. As a CA you may pick up a dozen diapers per shift. Suck it up, Skippy.

I just stack them upside down in front of their store. Or leave all the days diaper bombs in them.

Now I KNOW your mind ain't right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back