Archived What is the current policy regarding electronics TMs being assigned to other areas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I've been working as an electronics TM at Target since September 2014 and this is my first post.

When I started working, electronics was assigned to primarily oversee that department, and that department alone. The priority was to make sales, add attachments, and get Redcards. As the years passed and payroll got tighter, the expectation changed so that electronics TMs (especially the closers) are expected to zone and do reshop and guest assistance for toys, sporting goods, and stationary in addition to their normal electronics duties.

As a former Best Buy employee I found this change frustrating because I believe I am a good salesperson with a lot to offer Target in terms of sales, attachments, and Redcards, but my time is being wasted on busywork and doing tasks that are supposed to belong to someone else (yeah yeah, welcome to Target).

However, earlier this year I was told that Target would be rolling out a new, company-wide realignment of the electronics department that would require electronics TMs to stay in electronics alone and solely do zone, reshop, and guest assistance for that area. I was thrilled to hear this, but almost immediately started getting conflicting information from ETLs as to whether our store had the payroll to support this process. As of today, this process has not rolled out and electronics TMs are still expected to zone, reshop, and assist in toys, sporting goods, and stationary.

My department's attachment and Redcard numbers are terrible in large part because nobody is ever actually staffing the electronics desk. I would like to go to my STL and ETL-HR and make my case for why this process needs to happen at our store, but I was hoping for more information before I do. Some people have told me that this process is mandatory and that my store is in violation for not doing it, while others have said that ASANTS and that the process is optional. So I was hoping you all could enlighten me so I know what I'm talking about when I make my argument. Thanks.

If you go on workbench the new electronics experience guide says that the electronics tm should stay at the boat.

However the hardlines hours particularly at lower volume stores don't make that realistic. My store doesn't have a hardlines person some days until 3 o clock. Should the electronics tm let the call box in toys expire because he's stuck at the boat? He could but we would definitely be red for salesfloor speed.

So it's not so much that your leaders are trying to violate any rules. Target has given each store hours for electronics and mandates you should have an electronics tm from open to close (we used to have flow in electronics until 8 or 9) but if your hardlines is bare bones (no one has been given the middle finger more with end to end) your hands are tied.

If you are being asked to leave the boat to backup cashier or something then that's something to take up the ladder

Last edited:
I too have come across this conflicting information. Right now I cover Electronics, MMB, Toys, and Seasonal. I am told to focus on zoning toys during the evening shift. Typically, I am the only Electronics TM working. In my view, it’s insanity to route seasonal calls to Electronics. 9/10 times I’m with a guest when calls for toys and seasonal come in. My hands are tied though. I have no help to speak of. Management has never complained though, so I guess they are happy with the way things are. Just means more hours for me.

I too have come across this conflicting information. Right now I cover Electronics, MMB, Toys, and Seasonal. I am told to focus on zoning toys during the evening shift. Typically, I am the only Electronics TM working. In my view, it’s insanity to route seasonal calls to Electronics. 9/10 times I’m with a guest when calls for toys and seasonal come in. My hands are tied though. I have no help to speak of. Management has never complained though, so I guess they are happy with the way things are. Just means more hours for me.

Try talking to the various operators. We also have the frustrating experience of a guest in front of us in the middle of saying what they want help with and the phone rings. Don't talk to one and expect word to get around, talk to all that you can, and see if they will screen the calls as much as possible by either you telling them the stocking status of the SNES and the popular toy at the beginning of your shift, or if they will check inventory on the zebra. If there's several listed as being in stock, no real need to call you, if there's none listed in stock, no real need to call you. Also, tell them immediately if you are with a guest, so they can tell the guest on the phone there will be an extended wait and can suggest calling back in 10 minutes.

It's probably ASANTS, some stores adopt new processes, some just ignore it. At my store, Electronics is to only do reshop, zone, and freight for electronics only, but when there is a call button in Toys or Seasonal they are the ones to cover it. So, I guess my store is a mix of the old and mostly new lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back