Archived What is your favorite thing about your job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadie

lydianmodeee
I figured there's enough room to rant here about how we all hate tarje... But here's a thread for anyone that actually enjoys their job, or atleast enjoys a part of it.

My store has had its fair share of issues, and trust me I could rant for hours, but I gotta say, at the end of the day I'm really thankful for my job. A lot of toxic people have recently left and have been replaced by really good management that actually cares about the team. People make the job, no matter what you're doing.

But personally, my favorite thing about my job is simply interacting with people, specifically the guests. I work in electronics, so that means pretty much constant interaction (especially this time of year) with pretty much anyone of any walk of life. Young, old, rich, poor, homeless, pretentious, and from all over the world due to my store's location. When I first started I was pretty reserved, but it's really helped me step out of my comfort zone and learn to talk to people. I've been told to go die in a hole, cussed out, accused of being racist, physically threatened, hit on, and screamed at, but I've met some amazing people, and it completely makes my day when I do. I see my job as a platform to be able to talk to all kinds of people who I normally couldn't. Like I'm not gonna go to the grocery store and just start chattin it up with every random person I see, but at Target, I'm SUPPOSED to do that, and it's caused me to meet some really interesting, awesome peeps!
So what's your favorite part of your job?

tl;dr: I like meeting cool people who don't yell at me

Like OYP said, my coworkers. I love going out after a closing shift with me and a few SFTM's and having IHOP at 2 AM.

If I wasn't allowed to pick my coworkers as my answer, then I'd have to say the reactions I get from Leadership when they see/hear that I'm closing with them. Almost all of them will be very pleased and say something like "YAY! I get to close with Firefox tonight!" which tells me I'm doing a good job. I even heard from my ETL-GE that our ETL-AP was raving about how good of a job I did whenever I close with him, and he's hard to please. It's rewarding to hear these kinds of things, and it makes the job worth it to me.

I've never worked a retail job like this, always have had industry type jobs but decided to take a seasonal job after 3 yrs of being a stay at home dad. I got to say I love targets employees vibe every one is so friendly happy (not at all what I'm use too) even on this site every one is nice there's no rude people. When I was doing my checking I loved the interaction with the customers. Also love getting deals and figuring out how to stack coupons, cartwheel, red card employee discounts, to get the best deals I can. I love it all. I guess I really needed to get out of the house and away from the little ones lol

I also have to agree that my co-workers were the most favorite thing about my job. I was lucky in that the two Target stores I worked at I always had awesome co-workers. It made the days and nights a lot more bearable and fly by faster. We would also hang out after work and go to a restaurant or do something fun like Bowling and just kick it. A lot of my good friends I met was when I was working for Spot.

I've never worked a retail job like this, always have had industry type jobs but decided to take a seasonal job after 3 yrs of being a stay at home dad. I got to say I love targets employees vibe every one is so friendly happy (not at all what I'm use too) even on this site every one is nice there's no rude people. When I was doing my checking I loved the interaction with the customers. Also love getting deals and figuring out how to stack coupons, cartwheel, red card employee discounts, to get the best deals I can. I love it all. I guess I really needed to get out of the house and away from the little ones lol

I'm glad spot is treating ya well! the only problem with all the discounts is that I feel like half my paycheck is spent at target :( lol

Spot like any job has its faults...I am thankful for it though. I enjoy my co workers ( most days lol) and I love when I left alone and allowed to get done what I need to get done.

Definitely some of my coworkers. The big problem is that my absolute favorite is a GSA and now that I'm in the same spot as them, fat chance that we ever work together ever again. (I think we're a super small store -- 2 GSTLs, no GSA overlap most of the time) The feeling of leadership being excited when I'm there because things will get done. Cool guests, nice guests, guests that I accidentally terrify but then we can laugh it off because it's awkward for everyone (almost gave a non-English speaker chills the other day when I reached for a counterfeit pen while on a register, and then had to be like "OH NO NO NO, IT'S OKAY, IT'S JUST PROCEDURE, CHRISTMAS, WE'RE OKAY"). Definitely guests more than anything. If they weren't cool 90% of the time, I'd have a much harder time wanting to go to work.

Completely being honest here. At first there were only two people in my entire store that ruined my days. One of those people I now really respect and get along with very well (the other still hates my guts and lies about me for no good reason to other TMs, thankfully no one really listens to that bull crap). Other than that there aren't many things to hate about my job. Sure I'm a CA and have to deal with some stuff that is less than desirable, but I'd rather have myself do it than anyone else. I like being the guy in the store that can "get anything done no matter what". Originally working in general boosted my happiness up to about 40% (I've been living at a constant 5% for all my life), then I met a really awesome person there. That person and me are friends now and my life is like at 90% happiness. So for me, everything at work is great (except for that TM who hates me).

Clocking out and getting paychecks.

Serious answer? The fact that I'm getting paid to work out a little. And when I get the time on instocks to actually focus on an area and make it look slightly less terrible. Don't care that it'll fall apart within the week, for the next couple hours I know everything should be where its supposed to, in the right amounts.

I feel the same way when I pick up a used diaper.

coworkers is definitely number one for me as well. I adore the people I work with, especially now that our Starbucks just opened and I'm a part of that team. the people we hired in are absolutely the best, and I love my new little Sbux family lol. I also actually enjoy Sbux way more than even I thought I would. it's simple enough that I don't stress out about it, but it's still fun enough (and busy enough) that the day goes super fast.

I also love that they closed our Food Ave to put in the Sbux. I miss my pretzel habit, but I'm SO GLAD we dodged the IGS bullet and honestly, I really prefer that the store smells like coffee now instead of popcorn because that smell just made me sick. whiny guests be damned. it's prettier now too.

I also love that they closed our Food Ave to put in the Sbux. I miss my pretzel habit, but I'm SO GLAD we dodged the IGS bullet

IGS really isn't bad IMO. Only annoying part is no one specifically being scheduled for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back