commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
It was Black Friday Record Store Day today.
You get to support your LRS and buy some special releases all at the same time.
I picked up a live concert of the Ramones in Glasgow, the soundtrack to Joan Jett's documentary Bad Reputation, and Rocka Rolla Judas Priest's first album.
Rocka Rolla sounds frelling amazing, cut from the analog and without the hiss the original has, it is such a great listen.
I wish all of the re-releases of Priest were this good.

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
Watched the documentary Rumble - The Indian Who Rocked The World about Native American influence on music in the US.
It is amazing and I highly recommend folks see it.
The title is based on Link Wrays song Rumble.
It was the only instrumental to be banned.

smashandthrash

Former store LOG and Inbound/Receiving DC TM
Keep going back to the new Failure album.

I think this is one of the strongest tracks they have ever made.

And given the fact that Cleveland lost their mind. Apparently the song was pulled of the radio for implying the song is about DATE RAPE and sexual herrasment . Can people be any more stupid? I mean date rape? Did they really have that 1940?? Stupid people.

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
And given the fact that Cleveland lost their mind. Apparently the song was pulled of the radio for implying the song is about DATE RAPE and sexual herrasment . Can people be any more stupid? I mean date rape? Did they really have that 1940?? Stupid people.

"Baby, It's Cold Outside" was written by Frank Loesser in 1944.

It is a call and response duet in which a host, usually performed by a male voice, tries to convince a guest, usually performed by a female voice, that she should stay the evening because the weather is cold and the trip home would be difficult.
Loesser wrote the song for his wife and himself to perform at parties.

He sold the song to MGM, which used it for the 1949 film Neptune's Daughter. It was sung by Esther Williams and Ricardo Montalbán and won the Academy Award. Since 1949 it has been covered by many singers, including Ray Charles, Michael Bublé, Sir Tom Jones, and Dolly Parton.

Many of the terms and concepts from that time period don't have the same meaning that they do now.
The whole point of the song is that she isn't supposed to be spending the night at his house because it would ruin her reputation.
The song can be sung innocently or come across really creepy depending on who is singing it.
When I was working at Borders one Christmas it was on four different CDs that were required rotation.
I hated the song by the end of the season.

As a side note, they sure as hell did have date rape in the 1940's.

"Baby, It's Cold Outside" was written by Frank Loesser in 1944.

It is a call and response duet in which a host, usually performed by a male voice, tries to convince a guest, usually performed by a female voice, that she should stay the evening because the weather is cold and the trip home would be difficult.
Loesser wrote the song for his wife and himself to perform at parties.

He sold the song to MGM, which used it for the 1949 film Neptune's Daughter. It was sung by Esther Williams and Ricardo Montalbán and won the Academy Award. Since 1949 it has been covered by many singers, including Ray Charles, Michael Bublé, Sir Tom Jones, and Dolly Parton.

Many of the terms and concepts from that time period don't have the same meaning that they do now.
The whole point of the song is that she isn't supposed to be spending the night at his house because it would ruin her reputation.
The song can be sung innocently or come across really creepy depending on who is singing it.
When I was working at Borders one Christmas it was on four different CDs that were required rotation.
I hated the song by the end of the season.

As a side note, they sure as hell did have date rape in the 1940's.
It was more flirtatious than anything . Really date rape in 1944 ? Okay . I think you refer to an actual date that lead to a rape. And not the actual drug GHB or Rohypnol which are also called date rape drugs.Because apparently the song now implies in this day in age that he dropped something in her drink too.