COVID-19 What should i do? (Covid)

Good Morning team,

I would like to start this off by saying that I've enjoyed 5 years here at Target, and have been a team leader for 4. Like all of you Im sure, Covid 19 has turned everything upside down in my store.

I am in Pa, and our store is located in a red county with continued rise in cases. Our state requires everyone to wear masks outside of their homes and at work. We quickly implemented this policy at our store along with plexiglass shielding for our cashiers, and extra payroll for cleaning shifts.

This bring me to my issue. Our store does not wear masks outside of the salesfloor. We do not wear masks in the backroom (packing station, truck line, or in valleys). We do not wear masks in TSC, breakroom, or the teamlead office. Social distancing is only followed the same way.

I've brought this up with other leaders, our HR ETL. and our store director. They all agree that there is an issue, but without any attempt in change. Ive had coaching conversations myself with teammembers, but this loses its effectiveness when you are the only leader doing it.

I along with much of us have high risk parents at home who I risk their lives everyday coming to work. I cant help but feel that that the risk is not worth the paycheck. The packing station, and flow team feel more dangerous than the salesfloor at this point.

This winter will be a nightmare, and I dont think my store will be covid free for long. I will attempt for the first time to call the hot line, but I doubt that will solve the issue. What would you reccomend?

Best wishes, and stay safe.

Appreciate your input. As a leader I know that hotline calls dont really go far. Maybe the severity of the situation might carry more weight.

I was told Corporate is watching (how? I'm not sure) to see that masks are being worn at all times. Hotline might work in this case.

At my store, you wear it ALWAYS or you go home.
They are having a lot of Virtual Visits.

This bring me to my issue. Our store does not wear masks outside of the salesfloor. We do not wear masks in the backroom (packing station, truck line, or in valleys). We do not wear masks in TSC, breakroom, or the teamlead office. Social distancing is only followed the same way.

I so get this! It’s happening in my store too. Nobody seems to want to enforce the mask rule. Even on the salesfloor some TMs either aren’t wearing them or aren’t wearing them correctly (many don’t have them covering their nose). People put their masks on the tables in the break room during their meal.Guests don’t have to wear one to enter the store and I’d say it’s about 59/50 so I feel like this is such a losing battle all around. My store is also not cleaning as much as they did at the start of this. They are still doing shopping carts and door handles but I haven’t seen anyone touch the WAV or any of the back room ladders ever.

When I mention these things to leaders, they just kind of brush it off. It is very frustrating. Good luck with your store.

I AM “one of those” that WILL not wear a mask in the backroom, TSC or when I’m alone. Breathing in my own carbon dioxide (oops corrected) gives me headaches and the mask makes me work slower cause I can’t breathe and it gets too hot if I’m working fast.
CHILL. I don’t have it. If YOU stay away from me I won’t get it.
If I am ALONE backstocking I am NOT going to cover my face ! What’s the point?
DO NOT get a false sense of security that ALL will be FINE ifeveryone has a mask on - I think those masks are all for show - they are NOT going to SAVE you OR me if either of us are infected.

Last edited:
In the breakroom we have tables 6 ft apart and only 1 chair per table. The rules suggest you wear the mask around your chin/neck while eating or drinking. We have two computers in TSC and they are about 3 ft apart. I keep my mask on (as do most team members) when using those.

Back