Archived What to do if a guest is interested in a RED card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fellow target employees, I started working for target as a Cashier about a month ago and I am still confused as to what I would do if a guest wanted to register for a RED card. If someone could please explain to me the process opening a new RED card for a guest that would be great, thanks!

It's really easy, you get one of the terms booklets in the draw under the register and scan the top barcode before you hit total, it's going to go through stuff for the guest to enter in on the card reader, the first question is are they signing up for a debit or credit REDcard, if debit they need a voided check with them, credit they only need their license and social. You hit total and ask for their ID, you fill in their name and address while they fill in phone numbers, social security and PIN number, after you are both done ask the guest to verify the information you entered and once that is done it should say are they ready to submit their application. Once that's clicked it should print the receipt card with a barcode for before they get sent the card. or if they were not instantly accepted, it should print a small receipt saying they will be mailed for additional information. Then bam done signed up. Then you put that receipt into the booklet and give it to the guest and finish the transaction.

If they don't get accepted instantly, mostly happens with credit, they will need to use an alternative card to finish the transaction

If you need anymore clarification please ask because I don't know how good that comment was with the amount of sleep I have.

Last edited:
I say it's pretty good, Hazz.
As mentioned, scan the terms of agreement brochure before totaling & it automatically puts your register in application mode.
First screen will ask which card to apply for: credit or debit - a check is required for debit & is inserted like you would for a check payment.
The card reader will ask questions for the guest to fill out & you fill out only what your register screen prompts you for.
Afterwards they get a temporary scan barcode if they're approved or a slip if 'requires further processing'.
'Requires further processing' might mean they have a security freeze on their file (which can be lifted only for this application), the guest might have moved (current address needs verifying) or there might have been a change in status (death of a spouse or divorce). They will receive a letter of explanation which could include needed steps to finish processing the application or why it was denied.

Also, let them know that the barcode from the printout can be used until they receive their physical card in the mail. Tell them not to loose it!

Jesus, why does the redcard need to look so tacky compared to that card? Fuck sake. That card looks so clean, with a simple "Amazon Prime" and a neat, minimalistic design.
I actually really like the design of our card. I like it more than the fake metal on the Amazon prime card. The old rc with the multiple logos in glossy was horrible but the chip cards are nice.

Also I've had some more success with selling them by checking what the guest is buying and see what features they might like more besides the all-known 5%. So besides the 5%, I might mention the extended returns, etc. It's helped me a bit!

Also I've had some more success with selling them by checking what the guest is buying and see what features they might like more besides the all-known 5%. So besides the 5%, I might mention the extended returns, etc. It's helped me a bit!
yes the free shipping has gotten me a few as well as 5% works with cartwheel and price match

I'm just wondering how you've been there a month without one redcard sign up. Totally would not fly in my store.

I'm more concerned that your GSTLs have not partnered you with anyone or worked with you themselves about red cards.

Have you signed up for a card yourself?

I'm just wondering how you've been there a month without one redcard sign up. Totally would not fly in my store.

I'm more concerned that your GSTLs have not partnered you with anyone or worked with you themselves about red cards.

To be fair to the OP they never said they are a cashier.

To be fair to the OP they never said they are a cashier.

Hello fellow target employees, I started working for target as a Cashier about a month ago and I am still confused as to what I would do if a guest wanted to register for a RED card. If someone could please explain to me the process opening a new RED card for a guest that would be great, thanks!

OP is a cashier from what I'm reading.

Well if your store is desperate for cashiers, then maybe they arent gonna be such sticklers on red cards. Sure, you need to work at getting them but we have regular, longtime cashiers who are lucky to get one a month even with "partnering" and all that jazz.

If they're asking every guest they can't term you

Well if your store is desperate for cashiers, then maybe they arent gonna be such sticklers on red cards. Sure, you need to work at getting them but we have regular, longtime cashiers who are lucky to get one a month even with "partnering" and all that jazz.

Would never happen in my store. I've said many times in this forum, I envy you guys at stores that can relax like that. Our goal is 40 a day.

If someone isn't getting RCs we'll have to talk to them.

If they're asking every guest they can't term you

This is true. I would also say though that if you're asking each guest you won't go a month without getting one. Trust me I'm anti-RC because my store has ridiculous goals and I'm responsible for hitting them as a GSTL, but I have never seen someone who ask each guest go a month without getting at least one.

If I seen someone go that long without getting one I'll definitely be interested in what's going on. That's a red flag for me.

That is true. It's also important that new TMs know what they're asking. A few TMs at my store weren't getting them because they didn't understand the benefits-- so it's important to let them read through the little pamphlet.

That is true. It's also important that new TMs know what they're asking. A few TMs at my store weren't getting them because they didn't understand the benefits-- so it's important to let them read through the little pamphlet.

Yep.

What we do in our store is we pull team members aside and explain to them a few things:

- Why we drive RCs
- Benefits for the guest
- Our current goal and where we're at
- Their specific performance thusfar with RCs
- How to maximize their chances to get RCs (engagement, asking before, and one last time before payment)

Whenever I do that I immediately see the TMs' performance improve. It's like RedCard school. It only takes about 2 mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back