Archived What to do when you don't have anyone in your lane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breakeven

Work Bitch
I usually empty out my reshop and hangers. If not, I'll zone the front ends or hard wall. Yesterday, there was a cashier huddle. Basically, they want us to stand by the front ends and greet every guest and bring guests to our lane if we don't have anyone in our lane. I don't mind doing that but not every guest wants to be bothered with a hello... My GSA yesterday also told me that if we see her standing by our lane its because she's checking if we're asking guests for Redcards... Sigh... :rolleyes: The interest rate for Redcards are ridiculous. Yes, you're probably thinking why don't I just offer the debit version... Hardly anyone shops with checks at my Target. My GSA doesn't expect me to ask every guest if they want to apply for a Redcard but now I feel the pressure. What do you guys think? I'm thinking of going back to hardlines if I continue to get annoyed with the front lanes.

Give it a couple of years.

You'll learn to love it.

If the candy and stuff is already zoned and I didn't feel like just standing and saying hi to people at the end of my lane I would just crouch and pretend to zone the candy some more. Organize the magazines. Dumb things just so I'm not standing there and looking lazy lol there's only so much organization you can do in a tiny lane

When I was a cashier I would offer to help with checklane go backs or zone see spot. If it was kinda dead I got to spend hours off the register.

I get the occasional cashier shifts. When I get them and it's not busy or just a normal down time, I won't lie and say I wait in the front of my lane and sit there like a good ol' boy and wave people into my lane. I shoot the shit with the GSA's, other cashiers, and food ave/sbucks if all of us are equally dead.

If and I mean if I have to actually cashier due to call outs; I gather baskets and abandon on all the lanes. Zone the end caps and stock candy. I will help out other cashiers if we are extremely slow and no need for me to just stand there to take 1 guest. If I get really bored I straight up each lane or help the GSA with their random tasks.

I'm just going to try to keep myself occupied. Perhaps by gathering crates, zoning one spot (even though its pointless), or helping out on the floor. I usually cover breaks/lunches for GS. I talked to my GSTL about wanting to get fully trained at GS. Its a breath of fresh air being at guest service. I almost have GS down.

Yeah, I feel it's the mayor aka GSAs job to go out and greet guest. You just need to keep busy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back