What to do?

Ok, so I've been with spot for close to 2 and a half years. I love it, stressful at times but I've never had any real problems with anyone or anything. Here's my issue. I knew hours were going to be cut around this time of year, but I didn't realize my hours would be this bad. Averaging about 20 per week, when I was 35+ for most of last year. Now if I didn't have to pay the bills and take care of my car I wouldn't care, but since I do I'm now in this predicament.

I've tried picking up hours, looking for a 2nd job, etc but nothings working out, until something intrigued me..to apply at our biggest competitor, just for the hell of it.

And I got a call, just a few days ago asking if i could come in for an interview. I haven't called back yet, but if I do I'm going to tell them that I demand certain hours/certain pay, especially If I'm leaving spot because I wasn't getting enough hours/good enough pay.

Now the real question, what would you do? trade 2 years with spot and no hours or start fresh at some place new, with possibly better hours/pay?

nib

So sorry to hear about how drastically your hours have been cut, then again, it doesn't surprise me. The shame of it, of course, is as a TM you won't get full time benefits unless your 12 month average hours are above 32 hours a week. However if you are going to be put forced to going through periods where you get less than 20 hours a week, there is probably no way you are going to achieve 32 avg hrs and therefore you won't be able to get holiday pay, personal hours, or the better medical/dental benefits, etc. You have few choices. You either have to try to acquire hours from friends and workers, or hope that you are "in good" with one of the supervisors, managers, or HR, or you have to cross train, or even possibly work some shifts at another store in your area, your probably going to have to think outside the box. While I can't tell you what to do, I will warn you that sometimes admitting you work for the competitor could cause issues. Usually it's in a managerial position that would matter most, but I would be wary of admitting your retail experience. If you get a guarantee of more hours and better pay, you'd almost have to go for it I would think. But think through this carefully. We're here to help in any way we can.
Ok, so I've been with spot for close to 2 and a half years. I love it, stressful at times but I've never had any real problems with anyone or anything. Here's my issue. I knew hours were going to be cut around this time of year, but I didn't realize my hours would be this bad. Averaging about 20 per week, when I was 35+ for most of last year. Now if I didn't have to pay the bills and take care of my car I wouldn't care, but since I do I'm now in this predicament.

I've tried picking up hours, looking for a 2nd job, etc but nothings working out, until something intrigued me..to apply at our biggest competitor, just for the hell of it.

And I got a call, just a few days ago asking if i could come in for an interview. I haven't called back yet, but if I do I'm going to tell them that I demand certain hours/certain pay, especially If I'm leaving spot because I wasn't getting enough hours/good enough pay.

Now the real question, what would you do? trade 2 years with spot and no hours or start fresh at some place new, with possibly better hours/pay?

redeye58

Hasta Ba Rista, Baby!
"Possibly" being the key word here.
The only problem with that is that a) they may say "Sorry, no guarantees" or b) they'll promise the moon & you could find out you've been had.

pzychopopgroove

cyberpunk//my little pony
I already did that. I get no less then 30 hours at my current job, and i am far closer to my house. I wasn't at spot for 2 years (a little under a year and a half) but still.

Use swap shifts & learn other workcenters for hours. Still go to the interview, to stay in practice & see what they offer. Like benefits, pay, promotion, etc. say nothing to anyone at spot about job or interview.

Let me warn you....I work for the other company and it's just like Target with hours cuts at this time of the year. Sure, it would be nice to start over somewhere fresh, but if you're looking for more hours, that's not the place to look. It could be just my store, though. The store where I work hires everyone as part-time. I've been there almost two years and I'm still part-time. Full time status involves paperwork, it's not just based on the number of hours you work.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Use swap shifts & learn other workcenters for hours. Still go to the interview, to stay in practice & see what they offer. Like benefits, pay, promotion, etc. say nothing to anyone at spot about job or interview.
That's the thing my friend, I'm trained in most work centers except for guest service, receiving and pricing. I've asked to be scheduled wherever yet they won't do it. I'm just sick of fighting for my hours :/

I am a team lead who fired a team member for a bunch of different stuff(not related to issue), anyways, he went to the other company and actually came back to the Red and Khaki appologizing and asking for his job back because of how bad things were there. Just saying.