Votes: 20 80.0%
  • Target

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Start a new life at Costco
OR continue with Target.

Might of answered my question but what's your opinion? I am currently in college going into my second year in about two weeks. Will be working towards a business degree and i will either become a Firefighter, Real Estate Agent, Target ETL, Costco Salaried management. Not sure yet - but i need to know what to continue with!

Target Pros:
  • Already know everything- backroom (Except power equipment), Sales Floor, Cashier, Bike Builder, Guest Service, etc
  • Good relationship with STL and ETL-HR who know i want to move up. ETL-HR said she would help me with internship position when i am eligible (done with junior year of college) & STL would put in a good word for internship when eligible
  • Good relationship with all leaders except for three, including GSAs
  • Good pay for a TM, make over $1.03 base
  • Currently enrolled in Target 401k, health/dental insurance
  • 10 minute drive
  • Convenient with school and workout schedule
  • Can move between part and full time easily
  • Front end leader's/ETL-GE aren't up peoples ass about Red-cards
Target Cons:
  • ETL Sales Floor is leaving who i was close with who knew i wanted to move up
  • 2 TL's i strongly dislike working with
  • Stressful job (But what job isn't stressful?)
  • x2 new ETL's coming in
  • Mid-shift electronics TM sucks, but i usually finish closing shifts on time.
Costco Pros:
  • 10 minute drive
  • Easily eligible for insurance (600 hrs worked/180 days worked)
  • All leadership is hired internally
  • Costco is known for treating there employees "very well"
Costco Cons:
  • Would be front end-position, told i would be pushing carts/cashier assistant.
  • Unsure of starting pay

Last edited:
LOL yup. Help me. As you can tell i'm unsure wtf to do with my life

You really never want to use your relationship with leaders at Target as a reason to stay. They move around way too much.
But, IF your STL/ETL are still there, and IF they are able to get you into the internship program, you would be virtually guaranteed an ETL position

Very true. VMTL,ETL-AP, ETL-SF, ETL-HR have all left. The ETL-AP and ETL-HR replacements have both been amazing though.

I was talking to my ETL-HR (who was the ETL-GE!) and she said she'd help me out with a position when i was eligible. STL said they could put in a good word for me, when i was eligible. I'm just not hoping I'm being played

Costco. IMO, the management is better (obviously the business is doing things right). The hours are better. I'm willing to bet the pay is better and the benefits are better. Sounds like you are a hard worker and leadership notices...which will only benefit you.

I'd say take the leap. Even if you hate it, it's only a couple years til you graduate...then you can reassess and find what you truly want to do. I'm in my 30s and still don't know what I want to do with my life (obviously, since I work at Spot as a peon).

I dunno. Sounds like there are more pros to working at Target over Costco. being a cart-boy/cashier assistant looks like a demotion to me.

So i got offered the job, with me passing the background check of course. I plan on calling them and withdrawing or whatever it's called though, because honestly looking at Target and Costco target just works out better for my schedule. Costco would be demotion, $1.03 less - would have to work towards getting health insurance and dental insurance again so if anything happens I'm screwed, and much much more physical & tiring work before or after the daily gym session, and hard on school schedule. So i plan on stopping with these threads. Sorry guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back