Archived What to expect from having a mentor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweatyShirts

Backroom, Cashier, Hardlines, Instocks, TL Wannabe
My STL has been working closely with me to develop me into a TL and help me grow into that before it becomes official so the transition from TM to TL is seamless.

Well during a conversation today, she recommended I seek out a mentor to assist with that process but launched right into asking who I would pick before I could ask what I should expect from a mentor.

So that's really what this post is for, just getting a little better of an idea of what having a mentor would look like as well as the kinds of things I'd be learning from a mentor.

Take the best ETL there is in your store that drives and gets results. Learn from them, see how they achieve such goals, that I feel should be your mentor. You want to make sure you take away something good, not just from someone that does enough to get by.

The STL should be your "mentor."

She already is in a way and heaven knows having an STL interested in developing a TM is invalueable but the simple truth of things is there will be times she's just too busy. And because of that, my learning and growth shouldn't be halted during those times. Hence finding someone else to help out.

Not to mention I'm sure every single TL and STL has something to offer, it would be a waste to not try to seek that out at least a little bit.

Take the best ETL there is in your store that drives and gets results. Learn from them, see how they achieve such goals, that I feel should be your mentor. You want to make sure you take away something good, not just from someone that does enough to get by.

That would probably be either my direct SrTL and ETL in Logistics. They run a pretty good department and I've learned a good deal already just from that fact. Unfortunately though I'm backroom evenings and they tend to only cover mornings so exposure is limited in that regard.

But that is still valuable advice, I'll keep that in mind!

My mentor was my direct TL but it has transitioned into multiple people showing me the ropes. Theyve strung me along for quite some time now idk what to think but im still here.

You should expect months of shadowing and absorbing as much information about processes as possible. It is a lot. If theyve chosen you as a leader than you've got the personal leadership aspect already, they're looking more for you to develop the rest.

My mentor was my direct TL but it has transitioned into multiple people showing me the ropes. Theyve strung me along for quite some time now idk what to think but im still here.

You should expect months of shadowing and absorbing as much information about processes as possible. It is a lot. If theyve chosen you as a leader than you've got the personal leadership aspect already, they're looking more for you to develop the rest.

I think she's seen something for awhile now because she's always pushed me to take charge of the backroom and hold people accountable. But it wasn't until my SrTL told my STL and the rest of management that I'm looking to promote that she started pushing me even harder to start leading backroom processes and making sure we're keeping the backroom brand as well as making sure we're maximizing the amount of product going out.

Last edited:
My STL has been working closely with me to develop me into a TL and help me grow into that before it becomes official so the transition from TM to TL is seamless.

Well during a conversation today, she recommended I seek out a mentor to assist with that process but launched right into asking who I would pick before I could ask what I should expect from a mentor.

So that's really what this post is for, just getting a little better of an idea of what having a mentor would look like as well as the kinds of things I'd be learning from a mentor.
i've mentored people to tl. basically its give someone something that a tl should handle and walk them through owning it. guide them how they should handle it, and now they have the tools how to be a tl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back