what was it like at Walmart? Story from a REAL employee

Guest Attendant

Former Target Team Member
Well we did not have any pepper spray or shootings thankfully, but we were busy.

I started at 6pm Thursday. I was in charge of Cue line 5 witch was this $248 laptop.(each of the sale items were scattered thoughout the store) we had 29 of them and I gave out 29 tickets. We had a blue bucket with a bloon showing what item we were having and a spot in the store for it to be sold. We had people lined up for them, since before 6pm for the midnight sale. So most of those six hours were just standing, answering the same damn question over and over about the bed sheets that were on ad and handeling out tickets. Giving out 15 minute passes to those in line who need to use the restroom, have a smoke break or get a drink. I didnt get to my lunch till 11 and i missed my first break.

anyway. After midnight and all 29 were given out. I went around picking up stuff that is on the floor and fixing the bike rack in sporting goods before they quicky moved me over to the check out line making sure people don't cut. Went to my last break and then I helped out zoneing in housewares and fixing one of the signs that fell down above the towels. Got off at 3:00. got home by 3:30 and went to bed. Woke up around noon.

It was interesting as by 2:30am the store calmed down to a typical weekend afternoon.Not sure about later on though.

go back to my normal time at 10pm tonight. Gonna be intresting to see what we are gonna do inregards to stocking.

My store had people fighting over merchandise and people blocking the aisles and refusing to move. Customers were arguing with managers and cursing in front of their own kids. At least one of the employees got squished up against a shipper when the video games went on sale at 10 p.m. We had cops there and they were busy. One of my coworkers, who is a cashier, said she had a line at her register from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. with no break. Our door greeters were checking each customer's receipt but only a very few got nasty with the greeters. There were customers ripping into the pallets and cleaning them out early, especially over in electronics, which is where most of the chaos happened.
At least the customer traffic died after about 1 a.m. I worked the overnight shift last night and I saw what a mess the store was. Zoning took forever because no one was able to zone yesterday.
My BF shift was over at 2 a.m. and by about 2:45 a.m., I was shopping at Target. I didn't have enough $ to get what I wanted but there will be other opportunities for great deals after I get paid again. I was able to buy something else that I wanted though.

OP
OP
Guest Attendant

Guest Attendant

It was crazy even last night for stocking. Over 150 pallets from all departments that needed to be worked and I worked housewares. Didn't help much that we had a half hour meeting plus a 45 min zone in grocery so by 11:15 i was over in housewares. I was asked by management to redo some end caps, witch pissed off my co worker in housewares and we got in a small argument. Gonna try to talk with him about it tonight but he always shows up right at 10:00. i'm just gonna be the bigger man and apologize.

When did you start working at Walmart GA?

At my store we did about 750k that day. I work in toys so you know where i was from 11-6:30. It was busy and zone was a mess. It died down a lot and barley anyone was in the store after 1. We had a great recovery in toys, but friday fright was so horrible. It took me 8 hours to do toys. I was about 10 min over my task. It was good.

buliSBI

Former Team Member
My sister in law is a Assistant Manager at a Walmart. She ended up doing a 22hr straight shift. She went home and crashed for about 12hrs. She ended up not making it to her family for Thanksgiving weekend (my in-laws Thanksgiving meal).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Guest Attendant

Guest Attendant

My sister in law is a Assistant Manager at a Walmart. She ended up doing a 22hr straight shift. She went home and crashed for about 12hrs. She ended up not making it to her family for Thanksgiving weekend (my in-laws Thanksgiving meal).
Surly she still got to see them? Unless its one of those crazy families that comes right at dinner and leaves after the last bite.

buliSBI

Former Team Member
Surly she still got to see them? Unless its one of those crazy families that comes right at dinner and leaves after the last bite.
Nope. She got off Saturday morning. She only had Saturday afternoon and night to get any rest, drive 2 hours to visit her family and me, and then drive another 2 hours back.

But she ended up sleeping till about 8pm. Called to say she wasn't coming. She said she was going back to bed for a Sunday morning shift.