Archived What's your opinion? Work or not work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Under the operation Target is testing at the New Jersey facility, called a “flow center,” the company sends shipments to stores more frequently and in smaller lots tailored more precisely to demand rather than shipping big cases of products, Preston Mosier, Target’s senior vice president of global supply chain and logistics field operations, said Thursday at an industry conference in New York.

That could mean shipping “five bottles of shampoo, a case of ketchup, two polo shirts on hangers and a pallet of water, all prepared to move out directly to the sales floor,” Mr. Mosier said. “Or it could mean sending similar items prepared to move directly to a pack station to later go out to a guest in the neighborhood.”

So... All those SFS orders coming out of my store are going to stop since we won't have the inventory to handle selling the 3+ pallets of UPS orders a day when we go to eaches? I only see this as a bad thing. More than half our business is SFS and pickup, without an inventory we'll be missing tons of sales. Might as well go back to having the DC so the orders at that point.

Theoretically, it will work. Practically, no.

In addition to the problems mentioned above, this would require Target's replenishment process to be spot on (no pun intended). From the quantities the buyers order, through arrival, storage, picking, packing, loading, and departure at the DC, to the unload at the store and placement on the shelf, I have absolutely no confidence Target can make it work anywhere near flawlessly. And, if you are not near flawless with this process, you will have a sales floor that is going to look more empty than it should.

I love how they obviously shot this while the store was closed and deep zoned lol

0:20 - aisle is completely empty with no guests in the way
0:49 - ditto
0:57 - ditto
1:18 - <5 "guests" at the checkout (on point with the 2 cashiers though)
1:43 - two TMs zoom down a guest-free aisle with a purpose

video unintentionally makes the case for going back to an overnight flow process, nice job HQ

I love how they obviously shot this while the store was closed and deep zoned lol

0:20 - aisle is completely empty with no guests in the way
0:49 - ditto
0:57 - ditto
1:18 - <5 "guests" at the checkout (on point with the 2 cashiers though)
1:43 - two TMs zoom down a guest-free aisle with a purpose

video unintentionally makes the case for going back to an overnight flow process, nice job HQ
Not sure why you said the last part since the whole idea is to be more guest facing and further eliminates the flow/overnight team. Flow/overnight would all come day side and be placed into a department along with pricing/Plano and theoretically you’ll have experts in every aspect of every department. It’s a cool plan but will be interesting to see it play out and how many people quit (pretty sure that’s the plan) and how many people stay

Not sure why you said the last part since the whole idea is to be more guest facing and further eliminates the flow/overnight team.

I am aware, my point was that this process will actually be taking place in a crowded, busy store during the day when it will be a million times less streamlined than the video makes it appear

I am aware, my point was that this process will actually be taking place in a crowded, busy store during the day when it will be a million times less streamlined than the video makes it appear
I think it’ll be great and sure it’ll suck at first but it’s a pretty damn cool idea.

It
Theoretically, it will work. Practically, no.

In addition to the problems mentioned above, this would require Target's replenishment process to be spot on (no pun intended). From the quantities the buyers order, through arrival, storage, picking, packing, loading, and departure at the DC, to the unload at the store and placement on the shelf, I have absolutely no confidence Target can make it work anywhere near flawlessly. And, if you are not near flawless with this process, you will have a sales floor that is going to look more empty than it should.
It aint gonna work. We can't sell air nor predict the demand of certain items by our guests. And the trucks not arriving as scheduled because shit happens, means the store will look like it is closing for good.

"If we only believe." Lololol

What is this, Santa Claus Land?

Canada believed. That was a huge success. Right??

And I'm supposed to believe these corporate idiots can predict what will sell? We don't sell yachts.

So... All those SFS orders coming out of my store are going to stop since we won't have the inventory to handle selling the 3+ pallets of UPS orders a day when we go to eaches? I only see this as a bad thing. More than half our business is SFS and pickup, without an inventory we'll be missing tons of sales. Might as well go back to having the DC so the orders at that point.

This all day long.. It's a good chunk of change we make in SFS and all that would be pissed away since we wouldn't have stock. And we all know the DC can't ship freight right to save their ass, stores can't control inventory to save their ass. Counts are a guess at best. You can research items for a month straight with zero and tomorrow it will still say 23 on hand, or when you get it to zero you will get a pallet with that DCPI but its fucking mis-pick!

I think it’ll be great and sure it’ll suck at first but it’s a pretty damn cool idea.

It is a cool Idea, but in reality, with the guy in the video not mentioning once, the day to day problems stores have with Actual Guests in them, that will still be around even if they pull this off 100% perfectly. (Which they won't).

A lot of what Tasks Teams did, helped the guests when they weren't even clocked in and at home. And for some of the Task positions (Mine, I'll use as an example, The Lone Signing TM). Helped Guests 100% of the time we were open, even if I wasn't here. From Navigation, to Information about new product, or info they didn't know; or even info that they didn't know that they wanted to know.

I can honestly say, that me doing my job correctly, is the same as probably 3-4 TM's asking CIHUFS, 100% of the day.

All given to them while I sat on my couch with a beer, after an exhausting day putting up 70 shelves in the fixture room, and building 50 Back to school shippers.

Last edited:
Not gonna work without task teams. Salesfloor has massive zones to do, half the salesfloor TMs (at least at my location) have no idea how to do research or audits because nobody has time to train on that with the way hours are, and without accurate numbers how is anything gonna get ordered right? This is gonna crash and burn, you can’t just run something on belief it will work. Might look good on paper but it’s gonna look like shit hit the fan in stores in reality.

The only way I see this working is if Presentation, and (maybe Pricing) are kept, And at least a skeleton crew, of your most diligent TM's in a Backroom roll.

This won't work at all. Ya good luck sending us the stuff we need if counts are off and we don't get everything we need already on eighteen wheelers.

So going to send what, UPS size trucks to the stores daily to drop stuff off? Or send us an 18 wheeler for 2 pallets? Then have flow team work 2 hours everyday?

It's an idea that sounds good in theory but it won't work in real world. They need to focus on fixing the flow unload process and be more efficient in that area. Don't send us 4 pallets of water when we already have 2. Yea send 5 bottles of shampoo, a case of ketchup, and a stapler lmao..ok

This won't work at all. Ya good luck sending us the stuff we need if counts are off and we don't get everything we need already on eighteen wheelers.

So going to send what, UPS size trucks to the stores daily to drop stuff off? Or send us an 18 wheeler for 2 pallets? Then have flow team work 2 hours everyday?

It's an idea that sounds good in theory but it won't work in real world. They need to focus on fixing the flow unload process and be more efficient in that area. Don't send us 4 pallets of water when we already have 2. Yea send 5 bottles of shampoo, a case of ketchup, and a stapler lmao..ok
The idea I think they are going with is getting rid of flow and having the "experts" aka sales floor people push the items. They send only what needs to go out each day and that means less pushing, backstocking etc so more time to focus on the guest. It kind of seems they are going the way walmart does their inventory. Walmart doesn't really keep a backroom as far as I've heard. Isn't our CEO previously involved with something to do with Walmart? Hmmm

Your last sentence is hilarious. Hardest I've laughed all day. A stapler. Lol

Instocks is definitely gone for good. Each team member is in charge of their own instocks. Hopefully they have a strong enough leader to make sure they are trained correctly.

In the future nothing in grocery will be more than half capacity apparently. Everyone practice saying "sorry, that's not in stock right now, let me see when that will arrive.... "

Instocks is definitely gone for good. Each team member is in charge of their own instocks. Hopefully they have a strong enough leader to make sure they are trained correctly.
I heard something about RFID being tracked through the light bulbs throughout the store in the future. Ask your PMT about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back