When TMs Do Not Introduce Themselves

Havok

Finally A Guest Again
You guys ever just have random team members start chatting with you out if the blue without ever introducing themselves? I have had TMs in multiple jobs do that. I'll be minding my own business when, some stranger comes up to me, says my name and asks how I'm doing, then proceeds to chat with me every day with me always referring to them as, "dude, man, you, or, buddy" lol.

There have been times where I would wait so long to find our their names that it becomes too late for me to just ask who they are and how they know me. I just go on for a couple of months until I ask one of their friends who they are, and then I can finally address them by name.

What do you do when you face these random but funny scenarios? Do you do what I do? Do you forever refer to them as a nickname you gave them? Are you married to a person you have never figured their name was??? Are are you just super blunt and ask them who they are upfront? Let me know, haha.

I usually ask, “who are you?” This sometimes triggers a deep self existential realization/reckoning.

Pet peeve, when a TM tries to call out, gives a long winded explanation as to why they can’t come in. I just say, stop, lets go ahead and introduce ourselves first.

The original store from Neptune was close knit and most of us knew others last names. I never bothered to find out some after the shit hit the wall with modernization, it became very hostile. Nobody really gave a flying fuck about the new morons on board. We stuck together.

If they're still here in January, I'll learn their names. Until then, I don't really care unless they've been impressive enough to make an impact.
Same if they’re there past a certain point I learn their names of not I’ll be like whose ever on register 3 can go to break lol both my SETL’s are new as well and are like you need to learn their names and then they are doing the same thing cause we have so many seasonals

Part of being a good salesperson is the ability to approach strangers and make a connection and have interesting small talk. And anyone on the sales floor is a salesperson who should be doing exactly that. That certainly would bleed over into showing that "on" work personality to coworkers as well.

I think it's odd that the paper schedule cuts off the last names. I still don't know the full last names of most of the people in my department, lol.
Leadership at my Target acted like using another TM's last name was the same thing as say, swiping classified documents out of a safe at the Pentagon (which, funny enough, is actually how I found out that corporate was infiltrated and taken over by alien reptilians who came here in flying saucers). Using a last name over the walkie was a guaranteed bitching and possible write-up. It made them almost as mad as when the night ringer went off at 9:30 AM 💯

Part of being a good salesperson is the ability to approach strangers and make a connection and have interesting small talk. And anyone on the sales floor is a salesperson who should be doing exactly that. That certainly would bleed over into showing that "on" work personality to coworkers as well.
In my 30+ years of working in retail I have very, very rarely approached a customer and asked them if they needed help. And as a customer I hate it when salespeople approach me. If I need help I will find you. Certainly during this pandemic, please leave me alone and I will gladly leave you alone in return!

CIHYFS is irritating and invasive. If Karen needs something and I am putting my mustard and salad dressing on the shelves, she'll see my red shirt, name tag and khakis and come over and ask. At that point I will give her my attention and assist her properly. Not a chance in hell I will ask her first. Ain't gonna happen.

Leadership at my Target acted like using another TM's last name was the same thing as say, swiping classified documents out of a safe at the Pentagon (which, funny enough, is actually how I found out that corporate was infiltrated and taken over by alien reptilians who came here in flying saucers). Using a last name over the walkie was a guaranteed bitching and possible write-up. It made them almost as mad as when the night ringer went off at 9:30 AM 💯
When the night bell went off during the day it always threw us for a loop. We'd look around confused for a second, then say "oh shit" while lunging for the phone as leadership barked orders on the radio. That's why it boggles my mind that @Tessa120 's store kept it on all day. That would've driven me bonkers with how often our phone rings.

If they're still here in January, I'll learn their names. Until then, I don't really care unless they've been impressive enough to make an impact.
I will learn about 5 names outside my section. You either have to stick out or be memorable.
3or 4 will be flex. The other will be random.
Those 3 or 4?
I will help succeed. Why? Who knows.
The ones I don't learn the names?
Blue haired flex tm.
Blond tall flex tm.

I call people by last name on the walkie if they don’t respond the first time lol

Everyone just avoids me , they hear about me and go the other way lol
GOD I WISH THT WERE ME

people kno i hate interacting, im known for being mean as hell and my coworkers have to tell others "its not you, its them. they just take a long time to warm up to people if ever haha"

and people jus ??? take it as a challenge ????? pls go away i jus wanna work 😔

When the night bell went off during the day it always threw us for a loop. We'd look around confused for a second, then say "oh shit" while lunging for the phone as leadership barked orders on the radio. That's why it boggles my mind that @Tessa120 's store kept it on all day. That would've driven me bonkers with how often our phone rings.
We had a somewhat complicated problem though. The fitting room cordless phone quit working, not the hardware, the connection to the phone system. The extension didn't work anymore.

At that point the only option people really had was put it on the night bell and use someone else's cordless phone to pick it up. We got majorly fussed at because some of the closing people didn't bother to put HR's phone back on the charger, which also meant that phone was not available in the mornings due to dead battery.

By the time that someone remembered FA still had a working phone collecting dust behind a register it had been over a year since we had exclusive access to a working phone and many people there weren't there before the fitting room cordless worked. So it was what they were used it.

Another TM and I tried some codes that were in the instruction book and figured out how to forward the system to the cordless, but leadership didn't push everyone to learn the codes and use them to forward the system, and so no one did so. Because of my hearing loss I would put the system to ring straight to cordless; if I was just babysitting the phone it would drive people nuts and (to show they didn't know how to forward) they had to ask me to put it back to night bell because they didn't know how.

I work in a small format store as a leader so I have to know everyone's name. I also always introduce myself during the first shift I work with them so they put a face to a name (well, half a face now). At my old store we had such turnover I was lucky to learn anyone's name that didn't work directly with me.

With the masks now I still don't know what half our team actually looks like!

I would always introduce myself to each new girl/finding out their names on their first days.
With MALE tms however, usually weeks (sometimes multiple months) would go by before I'd start trying to remember their names :)

Back