Which TL or ETL position has the least interaction with "guests"

I am interested in ETL HR because I feel like my job options post target would be amazing, I could do HR anywhere else in this country. However, I don't know if I want to completely give up my life for a 50/60 hr workweek and end up making less per hr than a TL.
I also am open to a TL position in something like logistics or fulfillment so I don't have to interact with "guests" quite as much.

Ultimately, in 5-10 years, I'd love to be a starbucks manager or have a quiet office job far away from the general public. But hey, we take what we can get.

Is TL better than ETL in terms of work/life balance? I really don't think I can mentally handle working 50-60 hrs a week. I just can't mentally.

Is fulfillment really early AM- noon? Cause that would be a dream for me.
I'd love to work early and get home early and not be closing.

Any insight you can give me would help.

thanks

There is no leadership position at Target that doesn't have to interact with guests. Even if you are up in your HR office, if you're in the building, you'll be called down to help with guests who ask to speak to a manager. You know, the worst guests. Fulfillment is all about guests. Not in store guests, but still guests. As a TL of fulfillment you'll be expected to anticipate online guest issues and partner with SETLs to deal with them when they come into the store. There isn't a TL of logisitics. There are TLs of GM, one of which covers inbounds, receiving (logisitics), and parts of the salesfloor. Expect to spend most of the day on the floor.

Target is retail. Guests are the sole reason we make money. We bitch about them, but we don't have jobs without them. If you want to minimize your contact with them, Target's probably not the right fit for you, especially in a leadership position where you would be expected to lead your team and other TMs in handling our guests.

I am a fulfillment operations lead. I stay in the back and pack pretty much all day, load the trailer, get supplies down from the steel. I don’t really interact with guests unless I am walking to or from the backroom from TSC. My shift is 8-4:30.

Totally up to your store though

There isn't a TL of logisitics. There are TLs of GM, one of which covers inbounds, receiving (logisitics), and parts of the salesfloor. Expect to spend most of the day on the floor.
Actually it depends on the size of the store . I’m inbound- logistics( I own Plano and inbound and anything logistics in the back) . And there’s 3 gm Tl for p1, and 5 gmtl p2 , 3 offsite Tl, 2 market Tl and 4 style . And of course the setl 3 and 2 closing leads.

ASANTS obviously but likely most tl will have multiple roles ie. I was the lead of presentation and essentials so i was split between on the salesfloor and planning and executing the stores set workload. Rn im just in charge of presentation overnight but we are taking care of all tech beauty hl and market workload. I dont think you should worry about guest interaction though i was a little nervous to deal with unrulely guests but after your first one or two you get over it and will make you a bwtter leader in the long run.

If your plan is to move on, ETL HR is the best option. You may have 60 hour weeks, but no ETL at my store does. They do 9 hour days typically. If you are at a store where you work longer, just suck it up and do it. After 2 years you can move on. Consider it an investment. You will not be as marketable with 2 years TL experience.

Sbux mgr would be a pay cut from ETL.

ASANTS but at my store, all the TLs and ETLs are out on the floor plenty often, interacting with guests all the time. If they're on as LOD, then there's a ton of guest interaction, probably more negative than not because it's their turn to deal with the problem guests.

Target's main purpose & mission is to help families (GUESTS) discover the joy of everyday life. No matter what aspect of the store you come across it all focuses on one thing (the guests). You might need to reconsider Target or any management position as your career. Retail isn't for everybody....

Target's main purpose & mission is to help families (GUESTS) discover the joy of everyday life. No matter what aspect of the store you come across it all focuses on one thing (the guests). You might need to reconsider Target or any management position as your career. Retail isn't for everybody....
I remember the vibe walks and obsessed with the gues lol

I am interested in ETL HR because I feel like my job options post target would be amazing, I could do HR anywhere else in this country. However, I don't know if I want to completely give up my life for a 50/60 hr workweek and end up making less per hr than a TL.
I also am open to a TL position in something like logistics or fulfillment so I don't have to interact with "guests" quite as much.

Ultimately, in 5-10 years, I'd love to be a starbucks manager or have a quiet office job far away from the general public. But hey, we take what we can get.

Is TL better than ETL in terms of work/life balance? I really don't think I can mentally handle working 50-60 hrs a week. I just can't mentally.

Is fulfillment really early AM- noon? Cause that would be a dream for me.
I'd love to work early and get home early and not be closing.

Any insight you can give me would help.

thanks
You don’t get to pick your job.

You can put in your preference but being an ETL is like being a parish priest; you go where the Vatican (corp) sends you, in the role they assign you.
The only considerations I've ever heard being given is if you have a family & moving out of the area would cause upheaval with kids, etc but that was years ago.
Nowadays the recruiting leans towards young & single.

My SD NEVER interacts with guests and I have never seen my ETL interacting with guest. If they are on the floor and are asked a question both will call a TM to step in and help. I don’t have a TL now but when I did he would do most of the interacting because of being on the floor more. He has many negative reviews posted about those interactions online so maybe that’s why SD and ETL try not to interact. I would say that HR has the best situation with not interacting with guest or anyone really.

Be an APTL/ETL-AP and just say you don't work here. Works every time.
(Doesn't work during virus season as most are currently wearing red and name badges.)

If you want little to no guest interaction than Target is not for you!!! Etl’s at my store all have guest interaction. If a guest wants to speak to a leader usually whoever is closest does it.

I just don't want to be on the cash register. I don't mind if people ask me questions or walk up to me since I'll clearly be an employee.

I just don't want to be on the cash register. I don't mind if people ask me questions or walk up to me since I'll clearly be an employee.
TLs don’t typically cashier you would send your team up to cashier before backing up yourself

Is there a "good" department to be TL in terms of less interaction with the public? If I can't get into HR, I'd rather be in the back unloading a truck you know what I mean.

Is there a "good" department to be TL in terms of less interaction with the public? If I can't get into HR, I'd rather be in the back unloading a truck you know what I mean.
You wouldn’t be allowed to be on the truck unless you would be short staffed and would have to support your team . Why would you clean receiving when you have a receiver ? Why be truck unload when you have a line and unloader?You still have to be on the floor . Find a place like winco or grocery store that has overnight , because clearly you are not ready for target let alone made for it.

You wouldn’t be allowed to be on the truck unless you would be short staffed and would have to support your team . Why would you clean receiving when you have a receiver ? Why be truck unload when you have a line and unloader?You still have to be on the floor . Find a place like winco or grocery store that has overnight , because clearly you are not ready for target let alone made for it.

I don’t mind being in pubic I just dont want to be on a cash register.

I don’t mind being in pubic I just dont want to be on a cash register.

TBH I don’t think Target is for you. ASANT but most of our ETLs will jump on a lane if needed, as well as our SD. As a TL, I have more respect for a leader who will do whatever job is required. I would never ask a TM to do something that I am not willing to do myself.

Back