Archived Who creates the VMGs/POGs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious to know who writes the VMGs and POGs. Definitely seems like something I would be interested in doing. I asked my ETLs and they don’t really know anything about it.

There are multiple teams at corporate. One of my former STLs was the head of the Sporting Goods at corporate and I want to say auto/luggage also but I could be mistaken on the second part.

Anyhow... there is a mock store that is built specifically for them to design POGs with. Not sure if that is still the case, but it was years ago. During my time at target the POGs got progressively worse to the point there it would not surprise me if they just take product dimensions, put them into a computer and see what pops out in terms of shelf space, hah. It's either that or they've cut the staffing at corporate to the point that they no longer function effectively.

A lot of the time, that is exactly what happens. Spot doesn't even design all of the pogs, many of them are outsourced to third party vendor businesses who take captainship over a department. My husband works for one of those companies.

I don't for the life of me understand who thinks that it's a good idea to essentially put your product design in the hands of an outside company. I'm not talking about the products on the shelves themselves. I'm talking about the product that is Target itself. What a joke.

It's not a knock on your husband. It's just an extremely odd, weird and backwards thinking approach to business.

This would be liken to Apple allowing an outside company to design aspects of iOS in the next iPhone... who could possibly think that was a good idea?

I'm sure it's a cost saving measure, the cheap fuckers.

I don't for the life of me understand who thinks that it's a good idea to essentially put your product design in the hands of an outside company. I'm not talking about the products on the shelves themselves. I'm talking about the product that is Target itself. What a joke.

It's not a knock on your husband. It's just an extremely odd, weird and backwards thinking approach to business.

This would be liken to Apple allowing an outside company to design aspects of iOS in the next iPhone... who could possibly think that was a good idea?

I'm sure it's a cost saving measure, the cheap fuckers.

I don't think it's a cost saving measure so much as something designed to increase sales that product manufacturers/distributors require. Where everything goes on the shelves is of extreme importance to the manufacturers/distributors. I've already had a couple of chats with company representatives about it in my short time in Target's toy department. It's all designed to give maximum visibility to the products that sell. They monitor this down to the individual store level. It's why so many endcaps are constantly being reset: get the toys that are selling at that store and similar stores more visibility so more of them can be sold.

They take it seriously. They do have people who go to individual stores to take pictures of the shelves so they can make sure everything is in the right place and that it looks neat. They were out in force in the days before Thanksgiving at my store.

I don't think it's a cost saving measure so much as something designed to increase sales that product manufacturers/distributors require. Where everything goes on the shelves is of extreme importance to the manufacturers/distributors. I've already had a couple of chats with company representatives about it in my short time in Target's toy department. It's all designed to give maximum visibility to the products that sell. They monitor this down to the individual store level. It's why so many endcaps are constantly being reset: get the toys that are selling at that store and similar stores more visibility so more of them can be sold.

They take it seriously. They do have people who go to individual stores to take pictures of the shelves so they can make sure everything is in the right place and that it looks neat. They were out in force in the days before Thanksgiving at my store.

Exactly this! A lot of market research goes into product choice & placement and Spot's buyers are involved in the process.

Two different departments that do NOT talk to one another. -_- That's why VMG and POGs rarely if ever match. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back