Archived Why are we having so much trouble with online returns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm seeing more and more returns that we either have to process as no receipt return or we have to get the guest to pull up their account on their phone for the return barcode. Scanning their packing slip or their debit or credit card does not work.
It takes too long, it's inconvenient and I can't offer an explanation because I don't know what's going on.

Different subject:

What do you guys tell guests when our web site says we have items in stock but we really don't. That happens more and more every day. When we look the item up in My Work it usually says something like, 0 on the floor, 0 in the back and total of 3. What are you telling guests about that?

That inventory counts are updated regularly but sometimes items are sold or "Lost" aka in reshop or a guests cart so they are not always accurate.

And when I see that example you describe - I do NOT let the guest see that.

And this is what happens when you stop researching on a regular basis or letting people who have no idea WTF they are doing loose in the research mode. <looking at you - one Market TM who zero's out everything to purge the backroom!>

1) I've hated Target.com for years because their packaging slips don't work, the DPCIs on them don't work, and when you contact them they're rarely any help. I don't know what's the problem but it's been a problem for a long time. It's extremely time consuming having to contacting especially when you're a high traffic store. You can't afford to be tied up dealing with one guest for an hour over something that should be 1-2-3.

Target.com's answer to their guest concerns is always "go to the store".

2) I always explain to the guest that online isn't really accurate and takes time to update. Also it may say we have some in stock online if we have as little as 5 but that could be in a guest cart or some can be stolen. Therefore, going strictly by online isn't sufficient.

Calling the store is the best way to get a more accurate number of our inventory.

(In my store if it says we have 5 or less in the system we usually tell the guest we don't have it.)

What do you guys tell guests when our web site says we have items in stock but we really don't

I explain that the web site even tells them to call the store to confirm availability.

Changing the price on a more expensive item to satisfy the guest is not the way to go. Guest should be calling to confirm we have an item before they come to the store.

We tell them the online count is as of store opening so stuff may have been bought since then.

When a guest comes in telling us target.com said we could do xyz that we can't do, we call Target.com and say "hey you said we can do this but we actually can't" then put them on the phone with the guest to find another solution.

Some items guests have to return by mail otherwise it wont scan in the register. Check the packing slip to make sure it says return in store or by mail.
Yes. Also if it has the 9 digit DPCI because target.com is weird sometimes I think it wants a 0 in front of the last 3 digits.

As in if it has XXX-XX-XXX as the DPCI it wants XXX-XX-0XXX

Some items guests have to return by mail otherwise it wont scan in the register. Check the packing slip to make sure it says return in store or by mail.
I've had guests who have packing slips that say return by mail and they don't see it. Personally, they should be able to return items to the store. I once had a lady trying to return a pair of Merona shorts and was instructed to return by mail.

I always hated online returns because of how difficult they were, and when people got stuff for gifts such as from a baby shower or wedding, it was just more complicated than it had to be!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back