Why are we hiring..

Different positions or availability, presumably.

Hiring is expensive. Stores wouldn't do it if it were easier to just give existing TMs more hours.
Not at my store. Hired a new person in my area and gave this person some of my hours as well as hours from my fellow co-workers. We would have been happy to get those hours, plus we are trained.

Our store did it to increase the size of the TM pool, particularly cashiers.
People complain about newbies stealing hours but these are the same people that call out nearly every weekend so we have to hire people who can/will work weekends.

I could also see this, particularly if the store got approval for more head count. Gotta add it while you can or you lose it.

I wish they would ask existing TMs about working in other areas before hiring. Why are we hiring a part-time SFS TM when I would love to get an extra 20 hours and have already helped out there a bunch?
Most of our front-end people aren’t getting even half the the hours they’d like. Many would be willing to switch to another area. Also, most will be leaving soon if they don’t get more hours. Retain those TMs by scheduling the flexible/good ones in another dept that’s short.

(Or just hire a new TM for one dept and lose an amazing TM you already had because you couldn’t figure out a way to match up staffing across depts...)

Reminds me of what happened with us in q4. We hired a bunch seasonals for sfs 2 weeks before Christmas, and then sfs got shut down the week before xmas, then they had all of them to push toys, and none of them were around after Christmas. Yikes

Reminds me of what happened with us in q4. We hired a bunch seasonals for sfs 2 weeks before Christmas, and then sfs got shut down the week before xmas, then they had all of them to push toys, and none of them were around after Christmas. Yikes

And now stores (like mine) are interviewing for SFS positions...
It’s possible all of your seasonal sfs people sucked I guess, but sounds like it’s just unfortunate planning...

And now stores (like mine) are interviewing for SFS positions...
It’s possible all of your seasonal sfs people sucked I guess, but sounds like it’s just unfortunate planning...
Well all the seasonals that got hired around Xmas are gone, they were only here for 2-3 weeks. All the seasonals that got hired in October are still here but are in other sections

People complain about newbies stealing hours but these are the same people that call out nearly every weekend so we have to hire people who can/will work weekends.

Preach -- if everyone got exactly 40 hours you would have no one to call when there is a callout.

I love the balance my store has right now... Most people with open availability are getting around 30 hours but we have a bunch of seasonals we kept who are getting 16 hours but extending when we need to, jumping on open shifts, coming in when I call them. Taking the place of complacent TMs who think they are entitled to 40 hours -- it's great.

Now if you have open availability and your store is giving you 12 hours they can go to hell but you should ALWAYS be hiring good talent when it's out there, we hired some really good people this month so I have no regrets about not standing pat after December.
No we're not giving you 40 hours when your availability is Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm.

This isn't a flaw. Ship got crazy the week before Christmas. We hired people for one week because the volume went up then we let them go. All our other TMs were at 40 hours, because SFS had people working overnight and/or at 4AM we couldn't just take a softlines TM who generally works 230 to 11, then throw in a random 4am-1230 on the following day. We needed new bodies.

We let go some great seasonal TMs 3 weeks ago and we are all barely getting 20-30 hours but now we’re hiring? WTH? Why? Why not give the hours to us instead of new TMs people need these hours..

Eh, maybe they weren't all that great. You don't know their attendance issues or attitude issues behind the scenes. I'm glad we're hiring new team members rather than keeping the seasonal who unperformed.

We need more cashiers because some ETL in their infinite wisdom has been approving Every. Single. Availability request. Which means we've been scheduling salesfloor people for cashier shifts

Then those changed availability cashiers complain they are down to 8 hours a week. Well, loudest complaining moron, you're only available in the mornings now and nothing on Saturday. You're not getting hours. DUH.

Just overheard ETL-HR discussing this the other day. She said she always
Got 14.5 hours for the next week with open availability....

I had 5 hrs, but came in for a 5.5 when hr called and reminded her that she is welcome to call again this week!

Different positions or availability, presumably.

Hiring is expensive. Stores wouldn't do it if it were easier to just give existing TMs more hours.

Asants. But this is true at my store, fortunately. We’re attempting to FIND TMs who want to cross train to fill our gaps instead of hiring. It’s the easier thing to do, too, since we already know about their performance/personality/attendance.

We're hiring, but they are looking for less than 5 people. Maybe a couple of people quit or ended up on a leave of absence. Maybe Target counted on a certain number of seasonals staying but a couple of people said no thanks, since they just wanted extra money for the holidays.

We are always 'hiring' but it doesn't mean we hire people. You never know when a good TM will apply, so might as well do interviews to try to find them. It's better to have job openings all the time, than to be forced to hire when you're desparate.

If people are looking for hours, go sell yourself to the TLs in the store; take the initiative. If someone who is productive is looking for hours, I'll find a spot for them. The problem is, there are a lot of TMs who think they are productive when they really aren't.

Last edited:
We are always 'hiring' but it doesn't mean we hire people. You never know when a good TM will apply, so might as well do interviews to try to find them. It's better to have job openings all the time, than to be forced to hire when you're desparate.

If people are looking for hours, go sell yourself to the TLs in the store; take the initiative. If someone who is productive is looking for hours, I'll find a spot for them. The problem is, there are a lot of TMs who think they are productive when they really aren't.

Sorry but you are the problem with target right now. Why don't you do your job and take care of team members than come to work and work hard. There are more important things in the world than kissing up to low lives in power.

I'm averaging 30 a week with open availability, and I'm getting called at least once a week to come in and cover a shift. They're all cashier shifts. Long term TMs calling out because they don't feel like coming in, usually. So I get why they're hiring right now.

That is exactly what I said. Reading comprehension has it's rewards in the real world. An angry little troll like you wouldn't be able to comprehend that though.

Calling me names and attacking me does nothing but make you look bad. Thats not what you said at all, maybe you should learn to communicate better.

Back