Archived Why do Logistic ETL's ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do logistic etl's seem to spend 99% or more of their time dealing with flow and the backroom?

I see my etl backstocking, pulling cafs, pushing the truck, etc. But never once ticketing clearance or setting pogs. We had 115 revisions last week. He could have helped us.

I've been through at least 20 logistic etls in my employment. All the same in this regard.

I have been through many etl/log and very very seldom will they bs, pull or push the truck. Our current etl/log is all the time helping the pog team and or salesfloor .

Our ETL spends most of his time making sure flow is going smoothly, looking at stuff on the computer, and rearranging pallets at receiving.

If he ever interacts with backroom/instocks/POG/SFS, it's to pull them to help flow team (he ignores pricing completely).

Price Change is the lowest priority out of the 4. My current ETL will help POG with pushing and building gondolas when needed. He will also get us some help if needed. Price Change he has helped me 1 day out of the year that he has been there but he does check in with them when I am not there. All his other time is with Flow and BR. We were told by our DTL that the truck is the first priority in the store. If the truck isn't done then nobody should be doing their workload. Being that is our direction I don't care that my ETL spends the majority of his time with the truck so I don't have to.

Technically based on labor laws, ETLs shouldn't really be doing "hourly" tasks. To be considered salaried level of employment over 50% of a there job duties needs to be doing manager level work (planning/supervising/coaching). So if an ETL is spending most of there day physically working the product/truck/building gondolas then they are not in compliance with labor laws. This is why some companies have had salaried level managers sue there employers for overtime because they were doing hourly work and never being able to be a manager.

Honestly I seen my ETL Log help out in all of her workcenters.. She spends the majority of the time with the flow team pushing and unloading. Then she helps the backroom back stock especially with hba. She even helped us in ESFS when we were really behind. She even helped the pog team set up Christmas in rear seasonal and even cooked for them because they did that overnight. I think it just depends on your ETL and probably your TLs. My ETL log isnt one of the straight out of college ETLs either... she started out as a salesfloor team member and been with target for a long time... Also your TLs are the ones who talk to the ETL about how there workcenters are doing. If they don't ask for help then the ETL isn't going to help or find help.

Last edited:
Honestly I seen my ETL Log help out in all of her workcenters.. She spends the majority of the time with the flow team pushing and unloading. Then she helps the backroom back stock especially with hba. She even helped us in ESFS when we were really behind. She even helped the pog team set up Christmas in rear seasonal and even cooked for them because they did that overnight. I think it just depends on your ETL and probably your TLs. My ETL log isnt one of the straight out of college ETLs either... she started out as a salesfloor team member and been with target for a long time... Also your TLs are the ones who talk to the ETL about how there workcenters are doing. If they don't ask for help then the ETL isn't going to help or find help.
To me, that is a good leader.

Are you suggesting that the flow tl asks for help each truck? I find it hard to believe they literally ask for help. It's more than likely just a given.

But I agree about the tl communicating with the etl. Since I've been at this store, the communication between leaders is the worst I've seen.

Are you suggesting that the flow tl asks for help each truck? I find it hard to believe they literally ask for help. It's more than likely just a given.

But I agree about the tl communicating with the etl. Since I've been at this store, the communication between leaders is the worst I've seen.
My ETL log only helps the flow team when the flow TL has the day off. But I meant like the backroom tl, flexible fulliment tl, and pptl.

My current etl is not someone I can find any compliments about. He breathes oxygen? Too biological. He can see? Too physiological. He can drive? He's in the bottom two of all the log etls I've had.

Flow and Backroom can mess up a store quicker than Price Change, Instock or Plano, although delaying Plano's work for too long can easily wreck a store.

Well our PPTL usually has things under control, and we didn't have a BRTL for the longest time. Even when there were piles of backstock down every aisle and when nobody picked items up off the floor because it would just fall down again, he was still pulling the backroom to help flow or giving them bs tasks like pulling random EXFs or sweeping receiving.

Our new BRTL is busting ass trying to get the backroom clean, but he is newly promoted from a perfect store and doesn't want the ETL to think he can't handle it by asking for help immediately.

Your ETL-LOG sounds awesome!

Technically based on labor laws, ETLs shouldn't really be doing "hourly" tasks. To be considered salaried level of employment over 50% of a there job duties needs to be doing manager level work (planning/supervising/coaching). So if an ETL is spending most of there day physically working the product/truck/building gondolas then they are not in compliance with labor laws. This is why some companies have had salaried level managers sue there employers for overtime because they were doing hourly work and never being able to be a manager.
If ETLs aren't supposed to be doing hourly work and spend time being "managers", then why is a TL hourly, expected to do "hourly" work and be a manager as well. It doesn't make sense to me. TLs can basically do everything an ETL can so I wouldn't see how it would be an issue for an ETL to help with the "hourly" workload.

The only thing I've seen my etl do for Plano or pricing since he took the role is say, "Are you guys going to finish?"

Pretty sure that is all too since my pptl said he never talks to him.

If ETLs aren't supposed to be doing hourly work and spend time being "managers", then why is a TL hourly, expected to do "hourly" work and be a manager as well. It doesn't make sense to me. TLs can basically do everything an ETL can so I wouldn't see how it would be an issue for an ETL to help with the "hourly" workload.

Because TL are hourly leaders and they get paid for OT. I understand that you don't see an issue, but plenty of labor laws do. If salaried managers spend to much time doing hourly work, then thry have to work even longer hours to complete there manager duties, but don't get extra compensation for these extra hours they are putting in.

Why do logistic etl's seem to spend 99% or more of their time dealing with flow and the backroom?

I see my etl backstocking, pulling cafs, pushing the truck, etc. But never once ticketing clearance or setting pogs. We had 115 revisions last week. He could have helped us.

I've been through at least 20 logistic etls in my employment. All the same in this regard.

QFT

they are in charge of the backroom. if they are spending so much time doing that that means they at least care about getting workload done, and the flow/backroom aren't getting it done.

You can not compare 115 revisions to 5 - 7 trucks in a week and all that those entail. Especially in 4th quarter.

You start getting behind on trucks and backstock - and that equals a HUGE mess - and can affect sales in all areas of the store. Not to mention Instocks....

At some point, POG workload slows down, and your team will catch up.

Trucks won't slow down for another 6 - 8 weeks.

ETA: Not to mention all the new hires = less productivity.

You can not compare 115 revisions to 5 - 7 trucks in a week and all that those entail. Especially in 4th quarter.

You start getting behind on trucks and backstock - and that equals a HUGE mess - and can affect sales in all areas of the store. Not to mention Instocks....

At some point, POG workload slows down, and your team will catch up.

Trucks won't slow down for another 6 - 8 weeks.

ETA: Not to mention all the new hires = less productivity.

I can compare the two. I already did. It's not a question if I can make the comparison, but the question becomes do you agree with the comparison? Which you don't.

I see your point. We struggled all week to get mini and all those revisions done. We even were required to push the mini seasonal products that came off the truck on Tuesday - Friday even though mini was already set.

He's very quick to back up flow and the backroom, but very rarely, never yet, his other teams.

My store has an overnight process, so those are the only teams in the building when my ETL-Log works. Because of our org chart, we have an ETL-Ops who oversees the dayside logistics workcenters.

In my small sample size of overnight shifts, my ETL-Log mostly supervised the team, but I did witness him throwing the truck on a couple occasions. My ETL-Ops doesn't actually set aisles, ticket items, or shoot RIGs, but he communicates and coordinates with the TLs of his workcenters to make sure the workload is completed and the scores are green. Periodically, he takes a group of TMs and TLs overnight to expedite the completion of larger projects like the Christmas set in seasonal.

My main concern with logistics ETLs is if they have a normal sleep pattern or a life. Several times now I've come in early (4am) and I leave at 12 and he's still there!!! I mean what kind of sleep schedule is on?

My main concern with logistics ETLs is if they have a normal sleep pattern or a life. Several times now I've come in early (4am) and I leave at 12 and he's still there!!! I mean what kind of sleep schedule is on?
As an Etl Log I think it depends on your store and what the STL expects. My workcenters, all of them, were red when I started. We are a 6am store. So I would get there at 5:00am and would not leave until 7-8 for the first 3 months. I was fortunate that it slowed down eventually to a normal work week and 9.5 hour shift once we were green.

our etl log mostly handles flow and backroom because our pricing/plano/instocks tl's are competent and have worked there for years (they know what they're doing). also, why wouldn't he handle the truck? like who else would run it? our log tl and etl don't work the truck on the same days unless it's a double or we're slammed with a 2700 piece truck (on a pfresh truck).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back