Archived Why do we still carry CDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
books have a decent margin on them for profit. Also, I'm fairly sure a lot of the paperbacks are non-returnable, especially 'romance'.

Nonsense, current optical drives will be replaced with Blu-ray drives, they are already optional so its just a matter of time before they come standard.
Kind of pointless in anything mobile though, as you're not going to have big enough of a screen to notice hi-def anyways. Just my opinion though.

Regardless, I build and upgrade my own PC and floppy disk drives are still being manufactured, so I'm fairly certain my CDs/DVDs won't be reduced to beverage coasters for a long while.
Well that's not to say that CDs and DVDs won't still be around. But for them to be sold in mainstream retail is a different story. You don't see floppy drives being sold at Target, do you? What about cassette tapes? =P They've almost rid of most of the DVDs at our store, cut it down to one section.

Nonsense, current optical drives will be replaced with Blu-ray drives, they are already optional so its just a matter of time before they come standard.

Regardless, I build and upgrade my own PC and floppy disk drives are still being manufactured, so I'm fairly certain my CDs/DVDs won't be reduced to beverage coasters for a long while.

Blue ray drives ARE optical drives :fool:

I was cashiering on Sunday, and actually sold an 8 pack of VHS tapes......$21.99 for them.....amazing.....

I sell them every once in a while too.

The elephant in the room however, is the younger generation who will torrent everything without even giving it a second thought. This gives an excuse for big industry producers to push terrible things like the "SOPA" (aka commercial regulation of the internet) bill to congress. <cringes>

This!

I always bought cd's for bands I wanted to support but then I read an interview with Dave King and he said that the band gets more money from the downloads than the cd's.
Also it is easier for bands who are just getting started to have downloads and not do cd's at all.
That said cd's from the new, top sellers and winners of the latest TV talent show will sell (at least for a week or two) so Target will carry them.

Also SOPA sucks and must die.

We still sell CDs and Books because of our older guests like myself. (born in the 60s)

CDs and books will go the way of the VHS tape and 8 track, but it is a slow transition. Not everyone is into buying the latest greatest electronic item.

I still buy cds and books because I don't switch to new technology easily. I own an iPod, but nothing is on it. I just haven't bothered to learn to transfer my 100s of cds over. Not that I'm stupid, but I don't bother to learn. I will eventually, but probably not until I'm forced to.

Hey, I still miss record albums. We bought the album for the artwork on the sleeve as much as the music itself..

Ah, the good ole days LOL!!!!!

We still sell CDs and Books because of our older guests like myself. (born in the 60s)

CDs and books will go the way of the VHS tape and 8 track, but it is a slow transition. Not everyone is into buying the latest greatest electronic item.

I still buy cds and books because I don't switch to new technology easily. I own an iPod, but nothing is on it. I just haven't bothered to learn to transfer my 100s of cds over. Not that I'm stupid, but I don't bother to learn. I will eventually, but probably not until I'm forced to.

Hey, I still miss record albums. We bought the album for the artwork on the sleeve as much as the music itself..

Ah, the good ole days LOL!!!!!

Born in the same era and I waited for a long time to switch to cd's out of protest for the loss of the art and having to buy all my music all over again.
When Napster came out I had no issues with downloading anything I already owned (this was before you could get the record to mp3/cd recorders for a reasonable price).
My wife owns a Kindle but with my book habit I still get most of mine at the library.
Still love the paper (bookcover art is going to be the next thing to go) and hanging out in libraries is a joy.

Born in the same era and I waited for a long time to switch to cd's out of protest for the loss of the art and having to buy all my music all over again.
When Napster came out I had no issues with downloading anything I already owned (this was before you could get the record to mp3/cd recorders for a reasonable price).
My wife owns a Kindle but with my book habit I still get most of mine at the library.
Still love the paper (bookcover art is going to be the next thing to go) and hanging out in libraries is a joy.

Something about being able to share a book or cd with someone else that can't be beat. I'm bringing in The Help to someone at work today and I loaned a Toys in the Attic cd to a young friend recently, who is now a Aerosmith fan.....

Kind of pointless in anything mobile though, as you're not going to have big enough of a screen to notice hi-def anyways. Just my opinion though.

Depends. My phone (HTC Rezound) has a 720p screen and I do notice it. mostly due to its high 342 DPI. (iPhone 4 has 326). I've watched a few high def videos on it and they look amazing. It just depends on how good of a screen it really is. For laptops its the same thing. People assume you must have a large 65" TV to view blu ray just like they assume you HAVE to eat a burrito at Chipotle. that is simply not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back