Archived Why does Electronics make more than regular sales floor TMs but Service Desk makes the same as cashi

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I know is in my store electronics is hardest part of working salesfloor, especially closing. And at my store I set all the end caps in toys, infants and electronics usually. And guest service in electronics is a sometimes constant thing. Not all day like the service desk but I'll be stuck at the electronics desk for 30 minutes to an hour when I should be working the floor and pushing reshop and pulls.

Because GSAs make the same as electronics and if GSTMs were also at that level, nobody in their right mind would want to go for GSA over a GSTM position.

Electronics folks have to sell & be a cashier at the same time. Plus, they have to keep items stock for all areas of electronics, too.
Get red cards too..

SFTMs don't do label maintenance, put ipads out/away every day, turn on tvs, dust/clean displays, answer phones to the degree that electronics does, have keys, set sales planners, constantly watch/fill end caps and pull your own stuff if necessary, and super zone sections when you're not pushing CAFs doing go backs, whatever else

At least, in my store

Tbh with the shit GS has to put up w/ they should be making the same as electronics, and the GSA should def be making more

At my store, the electronics TM runs 1/3 of the store solo. Toys, Sporting Goods, Electronics, Entertainment, help in Infants, and sometimes Seasonal and Mini Seasonal as well. All this while driving sales and being their own cashier. Also at the end of the night that TM is also responsible for zoning all those areas.

It's a travesty guest service doesn't pay even 25 cents more than cashier but that doesn't mean electronics should be paid less.

A good electronics tm can make 1% of your daily forecast in a single sale, more at LV stores.

Service desk value is in not having to push red cards.

I get that some think the electronics TM is hard working. But I think the hardlines TM are also very busy especially if you are in a high volume store. We should most definitely be paid more than cashiers. We do a lot of running around the store for phones, guest help then picking up guest pulls from backroom all while we have to reshop and push at the same time.

I think the fact that most of our cashiers would be terrible in Guest Service, and thus only some people are chosen to be trained there, shows that it's a specialized area that deserves SOME kind of paying increase. It's a step up...for no additional pay. The front end is garbage.

I think the fact that most of our cashiers would be terrible in Guest Service, and thus only some people are chosen to be trained there, shows that it's a specialized area that deserves SOME kind of paying increase. It's a step up...for no additional pay. The front end is garbage.

Well both GSA and guest service desk are really underpaid. The problem with underpaying these folks is they are the face of your store.

Your backroom team can be disgruntled, it hurts no one and venting about how they hate guest is how many cope with their job .

But a disgruntled front end team is going to have a negative effect on your guest because they can't really hide or vent their disdain

Last edited:
I get that some think the electronics TM is hard working. But I think the hardlines TM are also very busy especially if you are in a high volume store. We should most definitely be paid more than cashiers. We do a lot of running around the store for phones, guest help then picking up guest pulls from backroom all while we have to reshop and push at the same time.

Hardlines is simply not valued. We were struggling to write our schedule last week and my ETL HR told me just to cut their hours

While in stocks, plano and even market are protected to some extent. Hardlines doesn't really get that luxury at all outside the TLs.

I have seen our store operate often with instocks, electronics and consumables as the only hardlines tms until noon or later everyday since quarter of 4 and we are an A+ volume

Well both GSA and guest service desk are really underpaid. The problem with underpaying these folks is they are the face of your store.

Your backroom team can be disgruntled, it hurts no one. But a disgruntled front end team is going to have a negative effect on your guest.

Agreed. Guest Service should get GSA pay. The GSA position should be eliminated and just dissolved into GSTL only. It makes way more sense.

That's how it used to be. My first store had like 4 GSTLs. The GSA position was created to cut cost. That's it.

Unfortunately it will not change because corp knows they can continue to get away with paying slave wages. There is no reason a GSA does 99% of the job a GSTL does but makes $3-5 less per hour. Whenever I tell people what I made at Target to be a *supervisor*, they look at me like I'm nuts. That's because it is nuts. There are few companies on Earth that think it's acceptable to pay a supervisor 50 cents above minimum wage. Even Walmart pays a little better than that.

That's how it used to be. My first store had like 4 GSTLs. The GSA position was created to cut cost. That's it.
Before there were 4 GSTLs, there was one GSTL and 4 CTLs. The CTLs were not, in fact, TLs, but essentially GSAs. I don't remember what CTL stood for. Target decided that the front end was too important to staff with without TL coverage at all times, so 4 GSTLs became the norm. Then, Target went back to 1 GSTL and 4 GSAs to save money.

Unfortunately it will not change because corp knows they can continue to get away with paying slave wages. There is no reason a GSA does 99% of the job a GSTL does but makes $3-5 less per hour. Whenever I tell people what I made at Target to be a *supervisor*, they look at me like I'm nuts. That's because it is nuts. There are few companies on Earth that think it's acceptable to pay a supervisor 50 cents above minimum wage. Even Walmart pays a little better than that.

One of our GSAs said if I'm not going to be paid like a supervisor I'm going to take advantage by dating this smoking hot cashier. They are still together LOL

Guest Service Team Members should get more pay because when I used to get scheduled over there they are expected to read a situation and look for any indicators that a Guest may be trying to scam the company. There is a lot of things that go into being a Guest Service Team Member too that most people don't think about...they are the keeper of every key to the store for example. As stated before, Electronics Team Members hold the keys to the most expensive stuff in the store but guess who keeps those keys locked up...? Guess who's keys you need to get those keys out of there?? Besides, Guest Service trained TMs get new numbers...it unlocks more features like pay outs and looking up receipts from cards. GSA's should get bumped up a pay grade and GSTMs should get the same pay as electronics. But neither are likely to happen.

Guess who's keys you need to get those keys out of there?? Besides, Guest Service trained TMs get new numbers...it unlocks more features like pay outs and looking up receipts from cards.

We keep all our keys in the fitting room

Our keys are kept in Guest Services. Im a Cashier and trained over in GS and being scheduled for it and it's much more work compared to a cashier... I keep saying cashiers can run their lane by using 9 hot keys saying small simple phrases while guest services constantly keeps you thinking.
Sadly my TM number isn't keyed as a Guest service TM but life goes on

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back