Archived Why don't we keep certain products behind glass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlowChick

Expect The Unexpected
I heard one time we had over $2000 dollars worth of infant formula missing. Why is it w'ere one if not the only place that doesn't require a guest to ask for the item? As in unlock the case to get the item, or go to Guest Services for it. Seems more logical to have Formula locked up.....but I guess not.

Last edited:
I heard one time we had over $2000 dollars worn of infant formula missing. Why is it were one if not the only place that doesn't require a guest to ask for the item? As in unlock the case to get the item, or go to Guest Services for it. Seems more logical to have Formula locked up.....but I guess not.
$2000??? Holy cow thats over 50 pieces right? Sheesh. We had $900 of electronics get stolen yesterday. 2 bose speakers, and a camera. All spider wraps were removed and items taken.

How do they remove the wraps without setting alarms off? Weird....yea similac cans are like 23.99 and up a can.

Last edited:
I would love to tell more stories but I get nervous I'll be outed. Like people will know what store I work at when they look at all my posts. Lol.

How do they remove the wraps without setting alarms off? Weird....yea similac cans are like 23 a piece.
Some items are just the rightsize they cant be wrapped securely. And these were those on that case. They can pull the wrap enough to force it over the edges of the boxes. Then its theres

I wonder that myself being TPS. Baby formula is expensive, but corporate tells us what we can and can't lock up. We can't really merch protect something that is in a certain price range or whatever. It's kind of messed up. I don't think we get hit for formula very often, but the Walmart across the street locks their up. I know because I spent quite a fair amount of time whining about it when I had to wait for long periods of time.

There are some things, that as I do my floor walk, I am like: "Okay, so we protect this, but not that. Okay.... weird."

If your AP/TPS are documenting things properly, I don't see why corporate (or whoever dictates merch protect) can't figure out a way to protect a certain product in your store. That's a big loss.

I'm one of very few who takes are of our infant hardlines. With it being directly across from electronics, I find stolen items everyday. Some baby, some toys, some electronics. People just love to steal in softlines!!!

Anyway I've heard from several people that no really cares about the baby section. Which I can understand. Makes me want to take care of it even more tho. They're supposed to be counting formula everyday but I know they don't.

I always hear Target is copying Wal-Mart. Well perhaps they should copy keeping baby formula locked up too! it is a high theft item. Easily concealed, easily sold on the streets.

They reason they don't lock it up is a convenience thing and one of the many reasons you have a tps job. Ever see HOW MANY cans of formula are sold a day? It's a ridiculous amount of cans! Especially since it's on the government monthly food stamp program. The sales outpace the loss so at this time it makes sense to NOT lock it up and lose the potential sales because the person cant find a TM or doesn't want to wait for the ONE TM that is probably tied up with another person.

My picture to the left is the expression I made when I was boosted.

We used the the stick on magnetic anti-theft markers.
The APTL would have a contest to see how many items people could sticker in so many minutes during a huddle.
Sure people would get waved through when the door alarms went off but it did a lot to help reduce the problem.

They reason they don't lock it up is a convenience thing and one of the many reasons you have a tps job. Ever see HOW MANY cans of formula are sold a day? It's a ridiculous amount of cans! Especially since it's on the government monthly food stamp program. The sales outpace the loss so at this time it makes sense to NOT lock it up and lose the potential sales because the person cant find a TM or doesn't want to wait for the ONE TM that is probably tied up with another person.

My picture to the left is the expression I made when I was boosted.

Yeah, I can understand that it might be frustrating for both the TM and the guest to have formula locked up. In Walmart, I waited for twenty minutes once to buy a can of formula. We aren't very fast paced when it comes to my store, so I don't really see a whole lot of formula leaving the store. I was just wondering if it was possible for stores that see a drastic dollar amount of stolen merchandise to get some additional help. Especially if it is in a specific area. Sometimes TPS/AP and all teh cameras in the world aren't enough to watch one section when there are other places to keep an eye out. I didn't realize it before, but people are pretty freakin' creative when it comes to shoplifting.

But tgtguy is right. If someone wants to steal, they're going to do it.

Cutting wraps is easy also, and many times the wrap won't make a sound.

That, and a lot of people don't properly spiderwrap, making them loose and relatively easy to pull away. I'm always having to go behind people and tighten them up.

Man if you gotta steal to feed your baby you shouldn't have had a kid. Common sense. And for the boosters who steal...just another reason us law abiders gotta pay more for our crap....

The big items for thieves at stores near me are diabetic test strips and razor blade multi-packs. A couple of guys hit a bunch of stores in our area for about $3000/trip. One TM was at a monthly flea market and saw "bullseye" stickers on some test strips, which what one of the stores did to try and prevent them from showing up at other "mom and pop shops." What's even ballsier is that they cleared the razors right in front of the pharmacy at one of the stores. I guess one of the techs yelled at them and called for AP, but they were long gone before AP could get over there!

What always kills me is the people who steal testers in cosmetics.

That's fucking gross.
we put EAS stickers on all our testers regardless of if the product itself gets one. Eventually people realized not to steal them, and now tester theft is pretty rare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back