Why I Didn't Enjoy Target

There are some cool, fun people who work there. But you don't really get to enjoy them. The minute you start conversing with a co-worker, the Gestapo steps in. They would watch over the monitors, and if someone started joking around, or seemed to be having fun, a team leader would step in and put a stop to it.

I understand we're being paid to work, but that is not a good way to treat people. Human beings need to make connections. Target should be a fun place, not a miserable place.

Alls I know is, I'm glad I got out of there. Awful place to work.

I know it. One Sunday night when it was S L O W, and everything was done that needed to be done, me and the self check out person (I was on the reg right next to self check out) were talking. A team leader came out and said "They're watching you on the monitors back there. You know I never hassle you guys, but please, for me, don't stand around talking." I realize that TL had no choice, she was being pressured. But, I dunno, for me that creates Nazi-like environs.

So I can’t even chat with coworkers? Cause I have severe social anxiety disorder and wanted to use this job as a way to help with that. Don’t get me wrong, I work really, really hard, but I can’t comfortably try and make small talk now if we’re being watched all day.

So I can’t even chat with coworkers? Cause I have severe social anxiety disorder and wanted to use this job as a way to help with that. Don’t get me wrong, I work really, really hard, but I can’t comfortably try and make small talk now if we’re being watched all day.
That is just great.

I'm former retail management and it's tough to shake that mentality. I also much prefer to work alone and keep talking to a minimum when there is plenty of work to do. So it does irk me when I see other TMs standing around talking for more than a few minutes, or worse, laughing and whooping it up on the salesfloor when their areas are trashed and there's tons of reshop and push.

I'm not saying you can't share a quick laugh with a coworker or chat for a minute or two, but if managment notices, especially if they are watching someone or feel that TMs are taking advantage, they aren't going to be happy.

I jumped ship for a plethora of reasons one of which was an obnoxious overbearing and just plain stupid team leader. A blithering idiot. 75% of the original team did the same thing. We're all much better off. He/she got shit canned eventually. Our original team was great, we got it done with some fun. No gender identification for security's sake.

I just think on a slow Sunday night, when everyone's been there for several hours, they should allow employees and joke around, or chat about their lives for a bit.

I just think on a slow Sunday night, when everyone's been there for several hours, they should allow employees and joke around, or chat about their lives for a bit.

This. Target claims to be a "team-oriented" culture. But it is just a truly fake facade. Their "huddles" include only company-oriented content. If they were really interested in building "teams" then they would allow your reasonable suggestion above.

The truth is that Target has become too big for its own good and operates with such a disconnect between corporate overlords and the stores. Corporate wants everything to operate like a machine. So "team members" are just cogs in Big Corporate's machine. Regardless of its claims, Target does not value its people and this is clear through its actions.

I don't mind chatting here and there but some take it too far whilst on the clock. We have several TMs that just stand around talking to each other all day long without doing much else At least make an effort to do something if you're gonna talk to each other your entire shift. At my store it's definitely our younger TMs that struggle with this

Back