Why Target refusing to raise a single cent above $15/hr ?

I was wondering why Target refusing to raise a single cent above $15/hr ? The minimum wage of the state I live at is $14.25/hr effective as of December 31, 2022, and the ETL and hiring manager tell us they are still not going to raise a single amount in 2023 if my state raise wages to $15/hr. Even if they are to raise wages they are likely gonna raise wages by 25 cents which is $15.25/hr, if majority of the team member threatens to quit. The Target department in my area has implemented a policy where they won't raise a cent above $15/hr, unless the minimum wage of the state is above 15. Like if the minimum wage of the state is 14.75/hr, Target will still only pay 15/hr. Another scenario TL explained me that if minimum wage is like $16.5/hr then Target have no choice but to pay $16.5 (still above Target's minimum wage) to comply with states federal law.

The stores like Walmart does not even pay that low even for janitorial positions let alone for entry-level sales associates. I spoke to Walmart departments store associates during pre-interview, and in fact they are willing to raise minimum wages to at least $16.5/hr given that our state minimum wages will be $14.25/hr, and also willing to pay tuition if I am enrolled in college, as well as would provide other benefits Target failed to provide. Even Wegmans is currently paying $17/hr and is willing to raise wages to $18/hr due to minimum wage increase.

I already spoke ETL, and gave him 2 weeks notice to before Christmas that I am quitting due to lack of pay, benefits, and accomodation, and planning to transfer to much nearest stores like Wegmans if getting hired. The ETL was understandable about it, and gave me until January 15 to make my decision whether to stay on Target or to quit Target for other companies that applied like Wegmans, and/or Kohl's.

There not refusing. Plenty of stores have raised there minimum. It is on your store to prove that they need to raise there minimum by showing that they are not getting enough applications, that places around you are paying more, and some other criteria. Either your store has been able to hire enough tms or your store is lazy. They do not give out individual pay bumps to tms though.

The way I look at it Target is paying you 75 cents more than your states minimum. Yes you could go elsewhere and make more but, what are the other stores benefits? How is there health insurance, 401k, vacation etc… what about hours how many is the new store going to give you. You have to factor in everything not just the wages.

Target still thinks $15 is a lot more than anyone else pays anymore regardless of the state you live in.

I think the whole health insurance, 401K, doesn't mean much to many TMs since they are part-time.
Only if you live in states like Oklahoma, and Texas which have minimum wage as low as below federal wage of $7.25/hr, then $15/hr be lot. $15/hr is not enough for living in state I live which has $14.25/hr. Most of the stores unlike Target willing to pay more, as well provide more hours. Also note those employer in Target can cut TL's hours significantly for financial security, especially if they cannot afford enough money to pay everyone.

Last edited:
Target still thinks $15 is a lot more than anyone else pays anymore regardless of the state you live in.

I think the whole health insurance, 401K, doesn't mean much to many TMs since they are part-time.
Health insurance should be important unless your under 25 and on your parents plan. You only need 29.5 hours to qualify for insurance.

Health insurance should be important unless your under 25 and on your parents plan. You only need 29.5 hours to qualify for insurance.
I do have my parents insurance so I am not too worried. I am worried about not getting any benefits like tuition reimbursement which is very important since I am pursuing masters.

Last edited:
One year I ended the year with 29.74 average hours. Didn't get health insurance offered to me. Told it was 30 hours.

This is the same person who complained about transferring to another store saying it was far from your location?

I was wondering why Target refusing to raise a single cent above $15/hr ? The minimum wage of the state I live at is $14.25/hr effective as of December 31, 2022, and the ETL and hiring manager tell us they are still not going to raise a single amount in 2023 if my state raise wages to $15/hr. Even if they are to raise wages they are likely gonna raise wages by 25 cents which is $15.25/hr, if majority of the team member threatens to quit. The Target department in my area has implemented a policy where they won't raise a cent above $15/hr, unless the minimum wage of the state is above 15. Like if the minimum wage of the state is 14.75/hr, Target will still only pay 15/hr. Another scenario TL explained me that if minimum wage is like $16.5/hr then Target have no choice but to pay $16.5 (still above Target's minimum wage) to comply with states federal law.

The stores like Walmart does not even pay that low even for janitorial positions let alone for entry-level sales associates. I spoke to Walmart departments store associates during pre-interview, and in fact they are willing to raise minimum wages to at least $16.5/hr given that our state minimum wages will be $14.25/hr, and also willing to pay tuition if I am enrolled in college, as well as would provide other benefits Target failed to provide. Even Wegmans is currently paying $17/hr and is willing to raise wages to $18/hr due to minimum wage increase.

I already spoke ETL, and gave him 2 weeks notice to before Christmas that I am quitting due to lack of pay, benefits, and accomodation, and planning to transfer to much nearest stores like Wegmans if getting hired. The ETL was understandable about it, and gave me until January 15 to make my decision whether to stay on Target or to quit Target for other companies that applied like Wegmans, and/or Kohl's.
They need to do a wage survey for your store.

They do not give out individual pay bumps to tms though.
It was pretty common for that to happen just a few years back (before Modernization).

It used to be that you only needed SD approval for off-cycle increases. I believe it goes to the DSD now. Can anyone confirm that?

They did a wage survey for our area & several of us got pay bumps.
A store 10 miles from us starts their TMs at $15.50/hr but it's in a more affluent area & mostly teenagers.

Talk about deja vu. Next they raise is to $20 and then eggs cost $15/dozen and you start pretending you didnt just claim $20 was a living wage and start asking for $25/hr 🤣
$15 is double national minimum wage. Target pays great.

Exactly. There are so many shills on this website. Just take a pay raise from an outside company. If enough people do that, Target may be forced to raise there pay.

Talk about deja vu. Next they raise is to $20 and then eggs cost $15/dozen and you start pretending you didnt just claim $20 was a living wage and start asking for $25/hr 🤣
$15 is double national minimum wage. Target pays great.

Prices have been going up just fine while wages have been stagnant for years.
Keeping wages at poverty levels isn't the solution.
Dollars spent in the community keep the community healthy, it's the money that goes into the pockets of the rich that does us no good at all.
Increasing wages has very little effect on inflation.
In fact inflation is more the cause of rising wages.

Prices have been going up just fine while wages have been stagnant for years.
Keeping wages at poverty levels isn't the solution.
Dollars spent in the community keep the community healthy, it's the money that goes into the pockets of the rich that does us no good at all.
Increasing wages has very little effect on inflation.
In fact inflation is more the cause of rising wages.

I dont disagree prices have gone up. But as a former store worker myself, its a part time job low skill entry level job.

Target pays double minimum, offers free college degrees in nearly any field imaginable, entirely flexible schedule up to only being required to work a single 4 hour shift once every 6 months (or something close to that), and so forth.

Anyone who wants to make working at Target a career (as I have have) needs to be taking advantage of the opportunities Target provides to advance their career.

Its just frustrating that a company that goes above and beyond to provide benefits (I as a man will have more paid paternity leave working at Target than my wife will have maternity at her company, for example) still has people complain, not understanding how good they have it.

If so many places pay more, and Target is falling behind, go work at those places. My 2 cents.

I think Target‘s plan is for TM’s to move up in position and to keep doing so to get pay raises. Before this $15 stuff we would have TM’s making like $22 or more and new TL‘s making $15 or $16.

I remember 4 or 5 years ago my TL was giving my co-worker her review and saw she was making almost $23 an hour. This TL was making $16. The TL from that time on wanted nothing more than to get the lady fired.

I think Target‘s plan is for TM’s to move up in position and to keep doing so to get pay raises. Before this $15 stuff we would have TM’s making like $22 or more and new TL‘s making $15 or $16.

I remember 4 or 5 years ago my TL was giving my co-worker her review and saw she was making almost $23 an hour. This TL was making $16. The TL from that time on wanted nothing more than to get the lady fired.
In a related matter my TL (who is great) is probably by far the highest paid in the store if not the district.

He doesn't want to be an ETL however he needs to realize with his seniority and pay HE IS AN EXPENSIVE TL FOR TARGET TO HAVE.

Target would drop him in a second and if they can pay someone to do his job for $5 less an hour.

I am in my late 50's and always tell younger workers that any sort of company loyalty that you have disappears the first time you are fired or laid off.

Turnover will be bad no matter what the starting wage is. It's $17.25 here and turnover so very bad. There's a couple issues, we're understaffed and not enough people want to apply for open positions. Maybe raising the pay would help fill positions, but I don't think it would help with turnover much unless they hired more people.

Turnover will be bad no matter what the starting wage is. It's $17.25 here and turnover so very bad. There's a couple issues, we're understaffed and not enough people want to apply for open positions. Maybe raising the pay would help fill positions, but I don't think it would help with turnover much unless they hired more people.
True.

At my store TMs get annoyed when they schedule them out of their availability.

Target also just rewarded everyone's hard work by cutting their hours instead of cutting some of TMs that are worthless.

It recently dawned on me that Target has a MINIMUM staffing level in certain departments so rather keep a bad worker then give more hours to the good ones.

Back