Why would anyone work at this place?

A couple of years back, I was between jobs and took a job at my local Target just to bring in some income while I was looking for a real job. I've never seen such a mess of an organization or a more abusive work environment. This place treats their employees like garbage. It's as though they think that anyone who would stoop to working at Target must be a loser who can't find a real job, so they constantly put unrealistic expectations with no guidance upon their employees and set them up to fail. They then verbally abuse their employees when they predictably don't meet those unrealistic expectations. I've since moved on to a sales position making 3 times what I made at Target. It was never intended to be a long time solution for me, but I would never, ever work there again and can't understand why anyone would subject themselves to working there.

Solution
You say you make way more than Target elsewhere, do they offer health insurance, dental, paid vacation 401 k? Do you get time and a half for holidays? Is your pay more than $15 hour and does it include benefits I mentioned if so you got a better gig.
My current job has a base pay of $20 per hour, 401K with a dollar for dollar match up to 5% of my pay, and paid vacation accrued at 2 hours per month. Full medical and dental is given after 90 days. Where you really make your money is commissions though.

It's not just about the money, however. Its about how management treats you and whether or not they make the office a comfortable place to come to work. I feel valued and treated like an adult at my company. Target treats their...
ASANTS - Stores, leadership, peers, culture vary by store. For about 4-5 years I absolutely loved my store and we had leadership that treated us like family. When people come across stores that still have a great culture and community feel, they stay and it's like a second home for many. In less cheesy reasoning, people are awesome at their jobs at Spot and take a lot of pride in their work and continue to be dedicated to it. It also works best for some as far as scheduling or convenience, familiarity, whatever their case may be. But yes, unfortunately there are also very toxic buildings and leadership and that's when most people leave (myself included).

Last edited:
A couple of years back, I was between jobs and took a job at my local Target just to bring in some income while I was looking for a real job. I've never seen such a mess of an organization or a more abusive work environment. This place treats their employees like garbage. It's as though they think that anyone who would stoop to working at Target must be a loser who can't find a real job, so they constantly put unrealistic expectations with no guidance upon their employees and set them up to fail. They then verbally abuse their employees when they predictably don't meet those unrealistic expectations. I've since moved on to a sales position making 3 times what I made at Target. It was never intended to be a long time solution for me, but I would never, ever work there again and can't understand why anyone would subject themselves to working there.
You say you make way more than Target elsewhere, do they offer health insurance, dental, paid vacation 401 k? Do you get time and a half for holidays? Is your pay more than $15 hour and does it include benefits I mentioned if so you got a better gig.

By the way I hate when people say Target is not a real job!! I get 35-40 hours a week, health insurance, 401k, paid vacation etc.. what’s not real about that!!

I've never seen such a mess of an organization or a more abusive work environment. This place treats their employees like garbage.
Unfortunately this describes my store to a T, which is why I left. It wasn’t always like that, in fact it was a great place to work under our first STL (SD), which makes it such a shame what the store deteriorated into, basically the workplace from Hell. And the ETLs sitting in their offices drinking Starbucks probably wonder why they can’t keep staff…

@Tarshitsucks. Hey look bro, it's your soulmate.

My current job has a base pay of $20 per hour, 401K with a dollar for dollar match up to 5% of my pay, and paid vacation accrued at 2 hours per month. Full medical and dental is given after 90 days. Where you really make your money is commissions though.

It's not just about the money, however. Its about how management treats you and whether or not they make the office a comfortable place to come to work. I feel valued and treated like an adult at my company. Target treats their employees like trash and makes them work way harder thsn they should for the meager pay they give them. It's just not worth it. The managers there are a bunch of immature children.

Solution

It's not just about the money, however. Its about how management treats you and whether or not they make the office a comfortable place to come to work. I feel valued and treated like an adult at my company. Target treats their employees like trash and makes them work way harder thsn they should for the meager pay they give them. It's just not worth it. The managers there are a bunch of immature children.
Sorry that was your experience. It definitely has not been mine in any way.

Different strokes for different folks. Office work is not for me, neither is any type of commission job, even with a solid base pay. Generally the idea is to sell sell sell to get those commissions. No thank you.

Sorry that was your experience. It definitely has not been mine in any way.

Different strokes for different folks. Office work is not for me, neither is any type of commission job, even with a solid base pay. Generally the idea is to sell sell sell to get those commissions. No thank you.

True, sales is not for everyone. And yes, there is a gun to your head constantly. You either produce numbers or you're gone. That being said, if you work for a good company, getting sales should not be difficult. A good sales company provides its employees with solid leads and a quality product. If you have a friendly attitude and enjoy talking to people, your products should practically sell themselves if you are with a good company.

True, sales is not for everyone. And yes, there is a gun to your head constantly. You either produce numbers or you're gone. That being said, if you work for a good company, getting sales should not be difficult. A good sales company provides its employees with solid leads and a quality product. If you have a friendly attitude and enjoy talking to people, your products should practically sell themselves if you are with a good company.
It also helps to sell an actual product, and one you believe in.

Selling Windows? Maybe Roofs? Selling cars? Yes - I can touch them. It has a lot of value. Some people genuinely need new windows or a new car. You can actually help someone by selling them the right thing and using your skill as a salesperson to get them a good deal.

Selling Life-Insurance? Maybe not so much. Yes it's valuable but in my opinion many of these companies extort and burn employees. Drain their personal network then just bump them because "they aren't selling enough" and move on to the next batch. You can't throw your resume 6 feet without getting 50 emails from some asshat trying to recruit you to sell insurance or some other intangible. Do you need life insurance? Yes, but not from some of these skeezy places.

Wtf does sales have to do with Target? That’s the last fucking metric we get asked about, matter of fact, its been the only green metric. I don’t sell things at target, I fucking stock them.

Wtf does sales have to do with Target? That’s the last fucking metric we get asked about, matter of fact, its been the only green metric. I don’t sell things at target, I fucking stock them.
We have to know our comp # for MTD at any given moment. And you're right. I used to feel like I sold things, but have been a stocker since modernization.

Back