I'm Lost! WIC Checks

I'm Hardlines, but since I'll have to do backups...I had a question.

What's the procedure for handling wic checks? I had a few my first cashier training day, but my trainer was right there with me the whole time, so I've yet to do a transaction when a guest has a wic check by myself yet.

I know first is to check that the id and the check numbers match, right? Then after that, is there a check list/steps to do? Just wondering if somebody can post a primer on how to handle them. I know the register asks for the start and end dates....etc...(I suppose if today's date is not within the dates on the check, it can't be used, correct?) I also know at some point you have to write some amount (what to write in the amount box I'm not always certain etc., and something about inserting the check in (upside down I think) into the lil machine at the register, and then put the printed on check in the cash drawer.

8.25 shift tomorrow, a Sat., so I imagine I may need to do backup at least once tomorrow.

So you seem to know that you input all WIC info BEFORE you scan a single item.

I forget which K button it is, but whichever one is Extras, go there and select WIC Food/Formula (or Produce, if applicable.)

Type in all that fun check info.

Then treat the WIC check like a shopping list! Scan items from the belt in the order they appear on the check, and you'll be sure not to miss anything.

You write the total amount, the guest can then sign, then you stick it in the check processor, and you give them the receipt. Bam!

So you seem to know that you input all WIC info BEFORE you scan a single item.

I forget which K button it is, but whichever one is Extras, go there and select WIC Food/Formula (or Produce, if applicable.)

Type in all that fun check info.

Then treat the WIC check like a shopping list! Scan items from the belt in the order they appear on the check, and you'll be sure not to miss anything.

You write the total amount, the guest can then sign, then you stick it in the check processor, and you give them the receipt. Bam!
We've been told repeatedly to not give the receipt to the guest but ASANTS

WIC processes vary by state, but it's highly unlikely you'll ever have to do one if you only backup. I'd say it's not even worth learning because there is so much info and steps to remember.

WIC guests should tell you they will be paying with WIC ahead of time, or at least put the check on the counter where you can see it. If that happens, just call over the GSTL and let them show you.

I guess one of the main things that I wasn't sure of was the total box on the check itself. What do you put in there? Is it always whatever items they buy (which you scan), and then hit total on the register...whatever that amount is...is what you write on the check? They don't have to buy all the items on the check, yes or no? Is there ever a situation in which you would give the check back to the guest? (Besides suspecting fraud/numbers don't match up etc.) Like, say it lists 3 items, milk, bread, eggs....but all they buy is the milk and the bread....hit total, write that amount on the check and process as normal?

You ALWAYS keep the check. The check lists what the recipient is allowed to get, however, the recipient decides which of those items they actually want. I've found that the registers are pretty good at weeding out a non-WIC item. After you scan all of the items and total, whatever the amount the register shows is the amount you write on the voucher. Be sure to have the recipient sign the voucher and that you match the signature to the one on the WIC pamphlet that the recipient will have with them ( they're required to have that when using a voucher)

And if it says 16 oz of cheese, that's all they get. Not 20 oz. And if it says 1 dozen eggs, they can't substitute 18 because there were no more dozen cartons in the cooler.

Also...check that the signature on the check matches the signature on the WIC paperwork.

It's like K8 for other options then if it's for Grocery/Baby Formula you press K6 or if it's for Produce press K7. It's gonna ask you to ask to see the guest's WIC ID, then it's gonna prompt you to enter Check #, Start Date, End Date, and amount of money on the check(if it it's Produce).

If it's just baby formula or or food, you won't have to enter the amount on the check and it'll ask for the ID when you hit total after scanning all their items for the WIC check. It doesn't take too long after you've done a few WIC checks. I like to have the guests sign each check after the first.

You always put the check in the register, at least at my store the Register opens and I place it where the 50's and 100's or other dollar amounts that aren't $1, $5, $10, or $20 bills. WIC is actually really simple once you get it down, but if you're backing up you probably won't have to do WIC checks... However one time I was Stray Captain for our store that night and they needed backup and I ended up doing a lady with 6 WIC checks. Took about 5 minutes.

If the POS says the item isn't WICable, it's because it isn't and they picked out the wrong item. If they give you shit just call the GSTL over, they'll say the same thing... you have to get the items that it lists on the check. No exceptions. My GSTL one time gave a lady her cheese because we were out of stock of the 1lb bags and the TL back in dairy said it'd be fine. If they claim a team member told them it's okay, ask for the name. Ask them to repeat it if they give a name to make sure. All of my WIC customers have been completely honest with it, with all of them giving me the first and last name of our TL back there.. haha.

The GSTL or ETL or LOD etc are the only ones who can override this. I think that's the gist of WIC checks. At least that's how I'd summarize it. I've yet to have an angry WIC user, and if they get angry it's stupid because it's their job to read the check and MAKE SURE it's the right item. It's their job to also make sure it's labelled on the label strip that it's WICable. It's their duty to understand WIC checks are hard to cashiers with less experience on the lanes and they should respect their learning process. They should go into the store with an open schedule if they're gonna use WIC checks to get groceries. WIC check users are moms with a newborn kid, so usually their schedule is just take care of the baby lol.

Okay.. I might of had one passive-aggressive lady once, just because she was running out of time and it was only my second set of WIC checks ever. But it happens.

Last edited:
I guess one of the main things that I wasn't sure of was the total box on the check itself. What do you put in there? Is it always whatever items they buy (which you scan), and then hit total on the register...whatever that amount is...is what you write on the check?
Yes

They don't have to buy all the items on the check
Correct

Is there ever a situation in which you would give the check back to the guest? (Besides suspecting fraud/numbers don't match up etc.)
Not in my state. If they use any part of it, you take it.

Like, say it lists 3 items, milk, bread, eggs....but all they buy is the milk and the bread....hit total, write that amount on the check and process as normal?
Yes.

WIC processes vary by state, but it's highly unlikely you'll ever have to do one if you only backup. I'd say it's not even worth learning because there is so much info and steps to remember.

WIC guests should tell you they will be paying with WIC ahead of time, or at least put the check on the counter where you can see it. If that happens, just call over the GSTL and let them show you.

This isn't necessarily true. I go for back up, pretty rarely, and ALWAYS get WIC checks coming through. It's really not that complicated once you do it a few times and easier to just do it than wait till never for a GSA or GSTL to show up and help.

This isn't necessarily true. I go for back up, pretty rarely, and ALWAYS get WIC checks coming through. It's really not that complicated once you do it a few times and easier to just do it than wait till never for a GSA or GSTL to show up and help.
Fair enough. I'm sure it varies by location, because that's the advice I give new cashiers at my grocery store and it works out well in our high-income area.

Fair enough. I'm sure it varies by location, because that's the advice I give new cashiers at my grocery store and it works out well in our high-income area.
I have mostly high end guests, I also have a battered women's shelter. Lots of WIC before we lost it because coupons+gc deals+redcard=savings and that's highly encouraged.

The only wic I did in a year is one I specifically asked to take.

What happens if they don't sign the wic check but the transaction goes through the register
Target won't get reimbursed if the checks aren't properly filled out. That includes no signature. Your front end TL will get with you if this happens and go over how to fill them out correctly.

Back