Archived WIC Checks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I'm a new cashier (my 3rd shift is in 12 hours) and I'm clueless about WIC checks. I know that my store accepts them and that they are used fairly regularly in the area. We covered them briefly in training, but it was fast and I forgot just about all of it. My questions are the following:

1) What's the process for accepting payment through WIC checks? (any details appreciated!)
2) Where do you put the WIC check when you're finished with the transaction?

I was lucky enough on my last shift not to have anyone try to pay with WIC checks, but I don't think my luck can last forever....

Thanks in advance for helping me out!

I can't help here (definitely not my element I've never cashiered), but just from what I've picked up from TBR never hesitate to call your front end leader. The GSA/GSTL or any LOD should know how to do it. WIC is serious to make sure products are correct and processed correctly. Flip your light if it comes up and good luck! Welcome to Spot!

Hi! I'm a new cashier (my 3rd shift is in 12 hours) and I'm clueless about WIC checks. I know that my store accepts them and that they are used fairly regularly in the area. We covered them briefly in training, but it was fast and I forgot just about all of it. My questions are the following:

1) What's the process for accepting payment through WIC checks? (any details appreciated!)

I was lucky enough on my last shift not to have anyone try to pay with WIC checks, but I don't think my luck can last forever....

At my store there are even seasoned cashiers who call GSA/TL for WIC (and I would as well). As the previous poster mentioned it has to be done correctly, so just call someone over. If you explain you're new the guest should have no problem.

wic checks have changed so much since i last worked target..... id suggest what everyone else said and call someone over. it's better to learn it in person than through someone telling you online unfortunately

Are you in an area that still does checks or has your state transitioned to the WIC debit cards? Both have their pros and cons but the debit card is definitely easier for the cashier.

If you do checks, you have to make sure the food items are separated from the non WIC items and process it as a separate transaction. There are specific buttons to press and an order to follow. It's a bit complicated, especially if the guest buys the wrong thing (easy to do...i.e., fresh fruit is WICable, frozen fruit is not, MP milk is WICable, organic brand name milk is not). Typically the store should have WIC signs posted near approved foods.

Definitely call GS over to help.

If your state is like mine, WIC is loaded onto a debit-type card.
You ring the merch, they swipe & it'll exclude items that aren't WIC (pet food, wine or beer, certain junk foods).
Sometimes the guest will pay for those with another method, sometimes they try to argue to have it changed to WIC.
Call your GSTL over for anything out of the ordinary.
If your state uses the paper check system, the guest can ONLY get what's on the list.
They don't have to get EVERYTHING on the list but they can't add other items.
Some stores may allow substitutions if items are out of stock (ie: 2 half gallons instead of a gallon of milk) but again, call over your GSTL.

Definitely flip on your flasher and have the gsa or gstl help you. Mistakes are a huge problem so it's better to learn a few times. I've found guests using the checks to be my best help. They typically sort the items for that check and one even knew the button I needed to use to get it started. I'd say that guest trained me for wic the best. :) But I definitely call for help when it comes to substitutes because I don't want to make any mistakes.

The WIC process does vary a bit state to state. Some use a card and some still use voucher checks. But pretty much the main rule is that the guest has to get the exact item as described on their voucher; even down to the 12 oz shredded cheese not 6 oz sliced cheese.

Its best to learn as you process them. Team up with your GSTL/GSA.

This, enough mistakes and your store can lose its ability to process WIC causing a loss of sales. The state keeps track of violations, better safe than sorry
True story. Not sure if it will ever come back either.

There should be a binder at your register to help walk you through.

If you're still using checks, you have to make sure they have the WIC folder and their ID to match. I don't know if it's the same at your state/store but here we need that and there's two types of WIC at my store, WIC Food and WIC produce and formula. One prompts for Folder and ID. The other doesn't. Make sure it matches cause you may be asked to demonstrate when inspections come around. Also, at the end after you ring a guest up, write the total in the box.

My store started like a few months before I came. Have no clue how to do them, never had to yet. I'll just call over my GSTL

Also, I think during our last audit, they check to see if the cashiers know the proper process(folder, ID, etc) . It'd be good to know in case you're lucky enough to be there when they ask.

I know that you guys highly suggest to ask your GSTL/LOD/GSA's for help, but I'm pretty new to cashiering and sometimes I feel like I'm annoying them more than anything. I know the basics of cashiering, but I haven't run into a regular check transaction, so I'm not even sure how to handle that yet. But I have ran into 2 WiC check transactions. One on my first day, and my second one, today. For my first day, my GSTL had me switch with him instead of teach me. But it was pretty busy and he was handling his own lane. So I could understand that.

My second one was today, and I flashed my light for him to come over. He asked if I knew how, and I said no. So he taught me, but it was too fast for me to comprehend. He told me there were two types of WiC Check transactions. One was for produce, and one for something else I don't remember. And all I know is that they were both handled differently. I just wish there some some comprehensive guide somewhere I can learn. I'd ask them to or even hope I'd get another WiC check transaction just so I could learn more... But I'm just scared they'd be annoyed. And I don't like wasting peoples' time. :(

ut I'm just scared they'd be annoyed

It's their job to train you. You need to speak up.

You want to annoy them? Get a violation for doing it wrong. Or if your store already has too many violations cause it to lose their ability to process WIC negatively effecting sales. Then people will really be unhappy with you.

Two suggestions

1. There is a vague "guide" on processing WIC on workbench under training (front of storr team member) have HR show you how to access it. It will give you the basics.

2. Next time it's slow ask your gstl or gsa to walk you thru a practice WIC transaction rather than waiting until you get someone when the store is super busy.

My state does a credit card form of WIC now which is so much easier.

However, of the 2 types, you get the produce/food type 99% percent of the time.

If you are in an area that still uses checks, you have to process WIC items separately from everything else. What a guest can get on WIC is pretty strict and the items have to be exact. This can cause problems if a guest tries to get off-WIC foods, i.e., it's Market Pantry milk not Meadowgold milk or whatever.

The rest of the procedure really needs a step-by-step walk-through for training. At my store, before the switch to the card method, some of the more flustered cashiers would just direct the guest to GS for us to process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back