Archived Will backroom not deal with grocery once the rollout comes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like many stores, we are getting a dedicated market team. I head flow will only unload for them and they will push, backstock and the like. What about things like the cafs? Will backroom still pull them or what? We deal with a lot of market.

I can only tell you how it is done at my store.

They took three members from the flow crew and one member from the backroom team and added them to the market team that was already in place, giving them a total of six market team members. They later hired two additional people to assist with coverage.

The new market team starts at 6 AM and is done at 2:30 PM

Flow unloads the truck as normal. They proceed to stack the market portion of the truck on new U-Boat carts, which the market team takes out and pushes.

The backroom team member who was converted into a market team member handles all of the CAF pulls and back stock. There is an unwritten rule that corporate expects 98% of all market to be pushed.

The market team proceeds to do the C&S truck as usual.

Absolutely no one, and I do mean no one, is expected or allowed to help the market team. They are truly on an island by themselves.

Since only consumables drop into out ones, its gonna seem weird only pulling baby and paper. What about the 5s? Does market pull that?

Market should be taking care of all pulls,push and backstock in theory. However just like any process at Target sometimes you have to pitch in and help out other teams. Its a new process and there will be a learning curve, and that takes time.

I can only tell you how it is done at my store.

They took three members from the flow crew and one member from the backroom team and added them to the market team that was already in place, giving them a total of six market team members. They later hired two additional people to assist with coverage.

The new market team starts at 6 AM and is done at 2:30 PM

Flow unloads the truck as normal. They proceed to stack the market portion of the truck on new U-Boat carts, which the market team takes out and pushes.

The backroom team member who was converted into a market team member handles all of the CAF pulls and back stock. There is an unwritten rule that corporate expects 98% of all market to be pushed.

The market team proceeds to do the C&S truck as usual.

Absolutely no one, and I do mean no one, is expected or allowed to help the market team. They are truly on an island by themselves.
What about the weekend 5pm CAFs? The evening zone?

How do those u-boats work on the unload? Seems like they'd be constantly trying to roll away. Is there enough space on the line to justify using them instead of pallets? (if one is used for 10 aisles of market, you may as well use pallets. If you have one for every aisle, that takes a ton of space on the line)

How do those u-boats work on the unload? Seems like they'd be constantly trying to roll away. Is there enough space on the line to justify using them instead of pallets? (if one is used for 10 aisles of market, you may as well use pallets. If you have one for every aisle, that takes a ton of space on the line)
I'm seeing a conflict possibly U-boat's pushing non market pallets to the back. It's going to get crowded, and the boats don't look like they hold much. This is gonna be interesting.

From what I observed, the u-boats are a headache for flow during unloads mostly due to the fact that they are longer than the old pallets. It makes for some interesting situations as the person who pulls pallets away constantly has to move them to squeak by and you simply can not load as much on a u-boat as you could a pallet. As soon as the u-boat is loaded, a market team member comes, takes it, and pushes it. Furthermore, due to the unload line having to be reconfigured to accommodate the new way of doing market, unload times have increased by roughly a half hour at my store.

As far as the 5pm CAFs, that is still done by the backroom, as the evening zone is also done by sales floor team members. From my understanding, as soon as we hire more people for market, that won't happen any more as the goal is for market to be operating fully independent from the rest of the store.

It's interesting to see this brand new program already being implemented differently between stores.

You'd think that Target would have properly communicated clear and detailed guidelines about every last detail. Wait nevermind that would make too much sense.

I hope it doesn't turn out that way at my store. I actually like pulling the P-Fresh CAFs.

It's interesting to see this brand new program already being implemented differently between stores.

I would expect nothing less from Spot.

You'd think that Target would have properly communicated clear and detailed guidelines about every last detail. Wait nevermind that would make too much sense.

The great retail motto: "If it makes sense, it must be wrong.".

Matter of fact, the ETL in charge of implementing the new way of market at our store left to go on vacation the week it went into practice. What a week that was. An awful lot of confused people standing around and a frustrated STL. It made for some interesting times.

STLs are supposed to have been fully trained in the process. I know my STL would have been in there directing and managing the process and the TMs. He's not afraid of, or above, getting his hands dirty.

You're very fortunate then.

In the 7 years at my store, I have observed and come to the conclusion that our STL is only as good as the ETL team around him. Happily we have a very good core group of ETL's in place, so our little store has been successful so far. Perhaps a case could be made that this observation is unfair, but it's been 7 years and we're still waiting for him to do something, anything.

So the u boats don't hold as much, take up space and obstruct the pallet pullers. And this with q4 food coming. Not good.

Indeed. We are looking down the barrel of two of the biggest food holidays with a system that still needs tinkering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back