Answered Will they let me change departments if I just got hired for seasonal?

Lol

I just hired in general merchandise and i’m not enjoying my time there. It is very heavy load for me since I am very petite. Everyone seems to be doing their own thing and I seem lost since my trainer was not very informative. I rather move to cashiering or something else that is easier for me to do that doesn’t require constantly lifting heavy boxes. Will they let me switch departments or should I just tell them I’m quitting?

Wait, now you WANT to be a cashier?
Welcome to my brain 🧠 😭 my emotions are exhausting and confusing. Ok, let me explain to you what happened, Today was my first day as GM, and the backroom looked like a mess. My trainer had different stuff from other departments in her cart and she got stuff from unlabled boxes and it was a lot of stuff that seemed intimidating. She said that you gotta work fast and whatnot. I don’t know if I can handle the workload cause I am petite. I weigh about 90 pounds, I don’t have a lot of strength and the constant lifting got me exhausted and the job is overwhelmed since everyone just practically works on their own and I’m very confused. I was left by myself for 30 minutes and no one helped me, my team leader had already left and so did my trainer. I just want to go back to something familiar where I do not have much problems.

Do you mean you where hired for the seasonal section or seasonally? Its possible that you are training in gm in a different area then youll be in charge of. I have a couple of girls that are also very petite that work in my store, but they are the dbo of pharmacy and hba. The first shift can be very overwhelming, but maybe try and stick it out for training. Either way you should talk to your tl or hr etl, voice your concerns maybe they have a need for cashiers otherwise you might be out of luck.

I have depression and anxiety. I sometimes don’t know what I want. Now that I experienced both jobs, I rather be a cashier. It is more familiar to me and not intimidating.

Do you mean you where hired for the seasonal section or seasonally? Its possible that you are training in gm in a different area then youll be in charge of. I have a couple of girls that are also very petite that work in my store, but they are the dbo of pharmacy and hba. The first shift can be very overwhelming, but maybe try and stick it out for training. Either way you should talk to your tl or hr etl, voice your concerns maybe they have a need for cashiers otherwise you might be out of luck.

I think I’ll be a floater. They needed people to fill in because of Covid, that’s what I was told.

I have depression and anxiety. I sometimes don’t know what I want. Now that I experienced both jobs, I rather be a cashier. It is more familiar to me and not intimidating.
Unfortunately if you were hired for GM it is likely they did not have any cashier positions open to fill. You can definitely talk to your HR ETL about potentially switching but I think you might be stuck in GM. You get used to the lifting and whatnot over time.

Unfortunately if you were hired for GM it is likely they did not have any cashier positions open to fill. You can definitely talk to your HR ETL about potentially switching but I think you might be stuck in GM. You get used to the lifting and whatnot over time.
I feel like it’s taking a toll on my mental health though. I haven’t been eating all day and get nauseous every morning before work because of how much I think about this job. I don’t know how long I can handle it

Talk with your HR about the needs of your store. You can also talk to any of the leads for the front end. Asants, but at my store I have talked with the leads about what their needs are on the front end and if they need a pair of extra hands to let me know.

We have a lot of petite people working in our store. It does not mean you are incapable of doing the work. It may require you to walkie for assistance on occasion, but it is not an excuse for not being able to do the work. We have petite people that are a variety of ages working in OTC, VM, Dec Home, HBA, Baby hardlines, etc. I'm one of them. You're not fragile, you're small. Think big and focus on what you can do and achieve, not what you can't. This job isn't brain surgery, so give yourself a break.

Let me be real with you. Target requires that you be able to lift 40 pounds on your own, no matter what position you are in. If you can't, then you need ADA accomodations. Even if you're a cashier you might be required to run drive-ups out. So if someone orders a 38 pound desk, well you'll be lifting it into their car for them.

That's just the job. Get used to it.

I feel your sentiments especially when we got rid of our backroom people. I dread it when a guest stops me in small appliances or furniture especially when they need these big items pulled from the back. I work in Style and we don’t do too much heavy lifting. But of course there will be days when you have to. I know what I am capable to lift. If I know I need help I will ask a team member to assist me especially the big items require “team lift” so don’t hesitate to ask for help. You don’t want to be breaking your back. And if I can’t find anyone in sight to help with a lift, I ask my TL and they are good at making arrangements.
We have plenty of petitie girls that work in GM. But like I mentioned, they get help when they need it so don’t stress that you will be lifting on your own at all times.

I feel like it’s taking a toll on my mental health though. I haven’t been eating all day and get nauseous every morning before work because of how much I think about this job. I don’t know how long I can handle it
Quit. Find an easier job, perhaps as a receptionist. There is no position in Target That does not require giving effort, working fast, being productive. It’s not going to get any easier - in fact you will be taught additional things and be expected to do more. If you are overwhelmed in training you will not be able to handle once training is over and you are left without assistance for an entire shift. Too bad your interviewer thought you were a good fit, makes me wonder if you lied about your experiences.

Cashiers are lifting as well. It is easier then GM though. But you will get stronger and exercise is very good for your mental health. Try to tell yourself it isn't that bad and maybe you could stick it out. Otherwise, you won't be at target long. I have not seen them switch anyone to cashier because they couldn't handle the sales floor.

Quit. Find an easier job, perhaps as a receptionist. There is no position in Target That does not require giving effort, working fast, being productive. It’s not going to get any easier - in fact you will be taught additional things and be expected to do more. If you are overwhelmed in training you will not be able to handle once training is over and you are left without assistance for an entire shift. Too bad your interviewer thought you were a good fit, makes me wonder if you lied about your experiences.
I have another job and it’s nothing like this. We get busy and we manage to handle the front end without asking for other associates to come help. Target just doesn’t want to hire more cashiers and expects others to drop what they are doing to go help. They wanted me to go back and forth between register and GM while I wanted to learn my job well on the first day!! The lack of training is unacceptable. My trainer left me by myself for about an hour and my team leader had left too. I asked for help and no one helped me!! No vision or dental plan, very vague orientation They didn’t even tell me where to clock in, they rescheduled both my interview and orientation. Just about everything is wrong that that store I worked for

I think I’ll be a floater. They needed people to fill in because of Covid, that’s what I was told.
Thats good, its a tough job and pretty demanding, i dont want to make you more anxious. I think you should at least finish out your training before making a decision though.

i would venture to explain what you heard as meaning : ‘“because of Covid we need some temporary employees to fill in until they return”.
I think you misunderstood the meanings of ‘seasonal’ and of ‘fill in’. Floater isn’t really a thing.

i would venture to explain what you heard as meaning : ‘“because of Covid we need some temporary employees to fill in until they return”.
I think you misunderstood the meanings of ‘seasonal’ and of ‘fill in’. Floater isn’t really a thing.
We have a couple "floaters" at my store, but they just work a couple of shifts per week and basically fill in for dbos on there off days. Dbos realistically only work 5 days a week, so not really sure what we would do on the days they have off without them

Target is a "sink or swim" type of retail establishment. It helped me greatly that I had decades of retail experience, and I also asked a lot of questions. I can definitely see how it could be intimidating to someone with little experience or who has only worked in a more relaxed atmosphere. In my store, if you ask, people will usually help you but if you don't ask, no one's going to volunteer. They've got their own shit to deal with. Sounds kind of bad but that's the way it is.

After reading all of your posts in this thread and your replies to some, it really sounds like Target isn't the right place for you. Working quickly is always a priority, even as a cashier. Being petite isn't an excuse; I'm petite (and I bet a few decades older) and I lift heavy boxes my whole shift. It does sound like the training protocols at your store aren't great, but you always have the option to ask questions of your TL or other TMs. The work we do isn't rocket science and a good TM won't turn you away if you're wanting to learn how to do your job well.

After reading all of your posts in this thread and your replies to some, it really sounds like Target isn't the right place for you. Working quickly is always a priority, even as a cashier. Being petite isn't an excuse; I'm petite (and I bet a few decades older) and I lift heavy boxes my whole shift. It does sound like the training protocols at your store aren't great, but you always have the option to ask questions of your TL or other TMs. The work we do isn't rocket science and a good TM won't turn you away if you're wanting to learn how to do your job well.
I asked for help on the walker talkie because my trainer and team leader had already left and no one replied to me not didn’t help me on what to do. :(

I have health problems usually pass out a couple of times in the past 2 years. Sometimes I feel weak and carrying the amount of weight any normal person can constantly makes me dizzy

I have health problems usually pass out a couple of times in the past 2 years. Sometimes I feel weak and carrying the amount of weight any normal person can constantly makes me dizzy
This might not be the best job for you then. Only you know what you are capable of but there is a reason that the job description is the way it is. Youll be expected to lift heavy weight and to work quickly. I dont want to discourage you but you seem to be discouraging yourself because you think you cannot do the job, which seem justified. Ask to switch and if you cant maybe its best to move on.

Back