Archived Working while under a doctor's excuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I'm new and need some advice. I went through orientation and my first training day, and then the next morning I woke up with pretty bad strep throat. I called well in advance and went to my dr. My next scheduled shift is tomorrow, and I just noticed on my doctor's excuse they have me written off work until the 16th. Can I still go in tomorrow? I really don't want to lose my job because of unfortunate timing of me getting sick. Thanks!

Greetings and salutations.
Well, strep isn't something you want to mess around with.
While it isn't the best timing in the world, the doctors note will protect you and they would really rather you not be at work getting everyone sick.

Thanks! It's really bad timing, and I am really happy to be working at Target. I wanted to make sure they wouldn't end up just letting me go, because I really don't want to lose this job!

You have a legit reason to not be there. I would personally not use the word excuse. Maybe it's just semantics but it sounds better to say reason.

I thought once you were on meds for strep you were no longer contagious. I would check with the Dr. And see when you are no longer contagious. Even though you have a legit reason, it will be remembered if you took that much time out on day 2

What they told me when I was seen is that it's preferred to have 72 hours of meds before you're around people/certain you can't spread it. I'm still running a fever, so that's probably not good either. Tomorrow will cover the 72 hours.

Afaik doctors notes aren't excusable at Target (found out they aren't either at Wally), and will not be counted as an excused absence. But yeah it'll keep your Team Lead from ripping your head off...

Yep...they don't count doctor's notes for "excused" absences. I just got out of the hospital after 8 days, and the ETL-HR took one look at my doctor's note, handed it back to me, and told me it counted for nothing. I figure my entire raise for the year is now gone, but it is what it is.

The countless times my boys had strep, the rule was that once you'd been on antibiotics for at LEAST 24 hrs, you were no longer infectious. If your doc has you off 'til 16th tho, I'd defer to that & call in ASAP explaining that you may still be infectious.

Really...You can pretty much go to your doctor or even a pharmacy MinuteClinic and get a Strep Shot. And within a day, you can go to work.

Just call in ASAP and let them that you are sick and its contagious. Turn in a copy of the doctors note to HR.

Afaik doctors notes aren't excusable at Target (found out they aren't either at Wally), and will not be counted as an excused absence. But yeah it'll keep your Team Lead from ripping your head off...

Wally wants an LOA form from the doctor on your 4th consecutive absence. I found that out the hard way when I missed 5 consecutive days with the flu back in January. One more absence means I get pulled in the office and lectured. Fortunately, your absences count against you for only 6 months, so I'll be out of the crosshairs come the end of July, though some of my coworkers have 10+ absences and yet they're still employed.
Still, it's a long ways until the end of July and in my review they say that I follow corporate attendance policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back