Archived Would just like some schedule diversity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a seasonal employee that started a good couple months back and when starting up I used to get good shifts. They were never constantly closing. I had a mix between morning, mids, and closings and was very pleased as my last job had me closing every weekend. Like no matter what shift i had as well during the week, I closed on the weekends.
I don't mind closing but for the past two weeks now that's all i'm being scheduled as well and the next week too. I find it unfair as we have enough staff to move around so not the same four people are closing every night but that's basically how it's been.
I get that the older employees have their assigned areas to work on and it's why they get mornings and mids but isn't hiring new team members in order to help relieve the other members of too many hours? As well as aren't they supposed to be training us to do the same thing they do just incase they need time off?
I find it very unfair. I feel like all the store cares about is seniority which don't get me wrong if you worked there for a couple years that's great but it's also a bummer to newcomers.
If I wanted strictly closing shifts I would have told them so in my interview. Is it the same for other stores as well?
I also just wanna add this is not my first time working seasonal for them. The first time I wasn't closing every night either. It was a nice mix as well but recently we have a new etlhr and i'm wondering if that has anything to do with it also.

Last edited:
Communication is key in the instance. I'm not sure what area you work in, but talk to your TL, who will probably relay the info to the appropriate ETL, and ETL-HR and HRtms will be in the know. You can talk to either one of those leaders and get the same result, mention it to your ETL, to an HR tm etc etc it shouldn't matter. ETLs generally write the schedules so perhaps you can go directly to the source.

isn't hiring new team members in order to help relieve the other members of too many hours?
I find it very unfair. I feel like all the store cares about is seniority which don't get me wrong if you worked there for a couple years that's great but it's also a bummer to newcomers.

And the "oldtimers" would say it's unfair that the seasonals get all the hours, leaving them with forced limited hours/days off.

Communication is key in the instance. I'm not sure what area you work in, but talk to your TL, who will probably relay the info to the appropriate ETL, and ETL-HR and HRtms will be in the know. You can talk to either one of those leaders and get the same result, mention it to your ETL, to an HR tm etc etc it shouldn't matter. ETLs generally write the schedules so perhaps you can go directly to the source.

Thank you i've already talked to the etl but the only thing they could give me is that the regular employees get those times is cause they're needed to maintain and rearange their assigned areas. The most they could do for me is change it up sometimes during the weekends which helps but still kinda sucks. I wanna go back to the nice scheduling I used to have where it was mornings and mid shifts more often than closing.

And the "oldtimers" would say it's unfair that the seasonals get all the hours, leaving them with forced limited hours/days off.

Sorry I didn't mean to offend by saying seniority, I meant it as saying all the regular permanent employees.
I do agree that it's unfair that we get a lot of hours compared to you guys and it does suck. Our store tends to give more hours even when a couple people stated that they want less. It happens a lot. I've wanted only 25 to 30 and they keep giving me 37 to 38 cause I have open availability so I tend to give the extra hours I don't need to my coworkers when they're looking for them. I have sat down with the etlhr to see if they could change that as well but this is the second time I have so i don't know if that would happen either.

No offense any smart leader is going to prioritize their regular team over their seasonals.
latest

No offense any smart leader is going to prioritize their regular team over their seasonals.
Seasonal hires are meant to fill in nights and weekends, which most of the regular folk have unavailable as soon add they pass 90 days... Its easier to keep open/ mid/ close instead of mixing since priorities for each shift are different.

Seasonal hires are meant to fill in nights and weekends, which most of the regular folk have unavailable as soon add they pass 90 days... Its easier to keep open/ mid/ close instead of mixing since priorities for each shift are different.

My old store didn't allow, and apparently still doesn't, allow TMs to have closing unavailability. Rule is pretty much everyone has to be available to close 2 out of the 3 weekend nights. Now most folks only got stuck closing 1 of the weekend nights, but the possibility was still there.

Last edited:
Back when I was hardlines, every shift I had was a closing shift.

Every day.

For four years.

I started with 100% open availability.

But noooo "he has to close"

I put up any closing shift I have now on the board.

Back when I was hardlines, every shift I had was a closing shift.

Every day.

For four years.

I started with 100% open availability.

But noooo "he has to close"

I put up any closing shift I have now on the board.

What changed it after four years?

My old store didn't allow, and apparently still doesn't, allow TMs to have closing unavailability. Rule is pretty much everyone has to be available to close 2 out of the 3 weekend nights. Now most folks only got stuck closing 1 of the weekend nights, but the possibility was still there.

See but that's way more fair than closing every Friday Saturday and Sunday which i'm being stuck with as well as the couple weekdays I get.

I understand that completely but it's also not me they're doing this to too. There's two older coworkers I have that have been there one for four years and the other five and one of them they've been giving them Friday Saturday and Sunday closing each week even though the beginning of the year they got a second job in which they work on the weekends early in the morning and can't close those nights. They keep giving them the shifts. Last week is when they had it and went in with their new printed schedule to sit down with them again frustrated that they're still not listening to their schedule change. They basically don't care that they've been there for four years. They cut their hours too cause they couldn't agree to work out some type of deal other than just not working then at all.
Honestly no idea what's going on with the other coworker but they're not too pleased as well getting four days in a row of closing. Which I wouldn't and am not too happy with either considering I close five days in a row one week and it's not even around Christmas.
This is also not to mention that we have around 8 just closers and they can't switch up the schedule a little bit so it's not every weekend at least closing. The weekdays I understand. Stupid but I understand

Last edited:

Yeah he's right but also if they did prioritize them why do we have stupid things like full time regular employees only getting shorted hours when seasonals are getting way more? Seems backwards in my opinion. Shouldn't matter if they're mornings mids or nights hours are hours

Yeah he's right but also if they did prioritize them why do we have stupid things like full time regular employees only getting shorted hours when seasonals are getting way more? Seems backwards in my opinion. Shouldn't matter if they're mornings mids or nights hours are hours

Availability matters. If you can only work from 7 to 3, you should not get more hours than someone with 24/7 availability.

Availability matters. If you can only work from 7 to 3, you should not get more hours than someone with 24/7 availability.

Makes sense but also I know two of the regulars can work nights for sure cause they have before they just don't get those hours anymore. And why would they want then anyway? Closing sucks.
Having open availability also doesn't mean I can work full time hours though. I wanted 25 maybe like 30 if they needed it badly and I told them that. I have other priorities such as full time schooling that makes it killer to have to do five days of work and only have two days of rest. Three days off would be perfect for me.
Open availability for me is just cause I have a flexible schedule.

Why would they give someone more hours that can only work before peak hours, than someone who can work peak hours?

It kills me when team members complain to me about their hours when their availability is horrible.

I understand that but then these people are complaining about how seasonals take all their hours so then that wouldn't be a seasonal member's fault. That would be the regulars considering the fact that they're the ones not able to have the availability they need in order to have the hours the want.
If someone is complaining about not having enough hours but aren't willing or able to work during peak hours than that's on them.

@Ranting Cat is it possible that you can go to your leadership and ask with another team member present if both of you can rotate schedules? (Open, mid, close) etc. I ask because if I'm a leader and 2 tm's came to me asking to rotate, I would seriously consider. To me business needs would be fulfilled and everyone to my knowledge would be at least ok...

@Ranting Cat is it possible that you can go to your leadership and ask with another team member present if both of you can rotate schedules? (Open, mid, close) etc. I ask because if I'm a leader and 2 tm's came to me asking to rotate, I would seriously consider. To me business needs would be fulfilled and everyone to my knowledge would be at least ok...

Oh that's actually a really good idea, thank you! I don't know how my TL would take it but I can talk to some of my team members to see if any would be willing to do that with me.

Keep us posted and good luck. ;)

Thank you! We'll they just put up the next weeks schedule and it's definitely better so i'm happy. Only close two nights. Hopefully it stays like this until q4 kicks in and everyone's hours skyrocket.

Is targets scheduling this chaotic? like if i'm interviewed can i ask for a time slot and they just go with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back