Would you rather...

Would you rather have an ok team member that doesn’t have attendance issues or a team member who is faster but has attendance issues?

This whole concept of “fast” drives me nuts sometimes.
It’s a debate I had with a team member today. I would rather have people show up for their shifts and work at their capacity. I’ve noticed certain team members who are friends with the leads call out frequently and nothing happens to them. Yes, they might be quicker, but if they don’t show up then the rest of the team has to do their job and the work of the absent team member. I’ve seen less quicker team members who are very reliable get “phased out”.

How about a different take?
You have somebody who is absolutely accurate but you can't get them to go faster?
Is it worth the trade off?
Maybe they have some kind of OCD or are in the spectrum so everything has to be done to the letter instead of halfassed for the sake of speed.
But it will be done perfectly.
Is that an employee you want?

With having to manage one long line and direct traffic, I've really come to learn who is slow. Our fastest cashier is Grumpy Gus. He is 60. Our slowest is tie between two 19 year olds. One has some learning challenges, but the other is smart and healthy. He is a great guy, but dang. They are all reliable. The one I would choose to get rid of is the grump.

Maybe they have some kind of OCD or are in the spectrum so everything has to be done to the letter instead of halfassed for the sake of speed.
That would be OCPD, not OCD (common misconception due to extremely poor naming of disorders).
But yes, that could definitely be a reason.

With having to manage one long line and direct traffic, I've really come to learn who is slow. Our fastest cashier is Grumpy Gus. He is 60. Our slowest is tie between two 19 year olds. One has some learning challenges, but the other is smart and healthy. He is a great guy, but dang. They are all reliable. The one I would choose to get rid of is the grump.
I understand that. A TM with a negative attitude on full display can be draining.

You have somebody who is absolutely accurate but you can't get them to go faster?
I can respond to that . I have this kid who has adhd my first 6 months I thought for sure I would lose it or he would quit . I had to tell him so many times the routine so many times in a day that it made me crawl the walls . Today I can attest that he is one of the fastest and accurate team member . And always on time never called out in his 3 years

I can respond to that . I have this kid who has adhd my first 6 months I thought for sure I would lose it or he would quit . I had to tell him so many times the routine so many times in a day that it made me crawl the walls . Today I can attest that he is one of the fastest and accurate team member . And always on time never called out in his 3 years
Yup, one of the assets to my section is someone with adhd whose super organized.

That was me, minus the disorders. I'm pattern oriented and something breaking the pattern would drive me up a wall and things just weren't right in the world unless it was fixed to fitting the pattern, since guests will also notice the pattern break and think the area trashy. There's things wrong with my brain, but pattern recognition isn't one of them, pattern recognition is a normal thing. Yeah, I was slow, but it was right and the guests would appreciate knowing that things can be easily found in the right spot.

At the end I half-assed it for speed because they were so constantly on my back about "faster". The area looked like trash because patterns were broken.

Softlines is harder to explain, best way is back when there was Xhilaration having someone put a black lace dress on a rack with black lace dresses of a different lace pattern, little variation of cut. I hated that, because the differences in lace pattern and arm cuts, I knew guests would spot that in seconds and think the section messed up, so inaccuracy for speed was trashy. Another one were the folded Merona/AND tee shirts, two were identical cut but the texture was obviously different and the dpci was also different, I was constantly having to redo the stacks to get the right shirts in the right stacks, because guests will notice the fabric difference.

A hardlines example would be looking down an aisle and 8 feet or so is filled with blue boxes but there's one or two boxes where the blue pattern is different or it's purple or the box is a different size, guests notice that and it's huge and glaring and shows someone didn't care about making sure the right stuff is where it should be. I'm not being sarcastic or facetious, people notice that because the breaks in patterns are far more obvious than the items themselves.

It sucks that Target and leadership wants a yucky store rather than a right store that will leave a huge, huge impression on guests. People will walk out is the pattern is too broken because it shows a lack of caring.

No, because they'll get done what they want to get done instead of what needs to get done. Get the product out of the back room first and worry about whether it looks pretty second.

@Tessa120 We've had this discussion before. I assure you that no Target guest has ever walked out because a wrong t shirt was in a pile. Our Style zones are not good right now. We still have guests coming in and shopping and trashing the tables every day. Believe me, it's not an issue, at least not in my town. They do not care.

Nordstrom or Saks customers? Maybe. Target customers? Zero fucks given. They will shop and trash, even if patterns are mixed.

ETA: I'm not talking total chaos, obviously. Things should look relatively neat and organized. I always do my best to make my zone look good. But a few things out of place is not going to turn guests off to shopping here.

Last edited:
Yeah they do. You just aren't paying attention to the people walking out because the place is erratic and chaotic and not returning without saying a word.

Nonsense.

Understand that I'm not talking a mess. But guests are not leaving because one lace dress is in the wrong place. That would be ludicrous. Very few discount or lower price retail clothing establishment are that meticulous.

Last edited:
Back