Written up

I got written up for leaving the cash register open. I am a minor and Im working seasonal Guest Advocate and I was finishing with a guest and I had to give them back "$4.58" back right so the cash register opens up and I was like ok, but there were no ones so I walk to another team member asking where the team leader is, and I forgot not to leave the cash register open and I kind of did so that was my bad I didnt even think of it until I got called out, at the end of my shift my team leader shows up and talks to me and says that I made that huge mistake and then I remembered. She talked to me and said "I won't get fired over it, but I will write you up for it" so what do you guys think? I'm having fun and all no lie but I dont wanna be fired just one month in I want to finish the whole season

You don't get another chance after this. Straighten up. Pay attention. Leaving your cash draw open is a big No-No anywhere you work with money. Consider it a lesson-learned.

this was on my part, man I'm just disappointed at myself, I worked fine for a month and I forget the most basic thing

This isn’t the end of the world even tho I know it feels like it. You owned up to it and took the write up, and that was the right thing to do. Plus you’ll know what to do next time. As a guest advocate you need to be aware of what’s in your till and request change when it starts getting low. If you’ve had a good run of guests paying with cash take a moment to do a quick check to see if anything is low. My store’s guest demographic is predominately low income and a lot of our guests pay in cash because that’s how they get paid. We’re just more aware of how much change we have in our drawers.

In this case I would’ve apologized to the guest for not having the correct change to give them and then handed them a $5 and said Happy Holidays! with a smile. Then immediately put in a change request and flipped the light to blinking to get someone’s attention.

Your TL wrote you up and said you won’t get fired over it, so you dodged a bullet. Everyone makes mistakes, but be extra careful, especially when working with money, and you should be able to finish out the season.

This isn’t the end of the world even tho I know it feels like it. You owned up to it and took the write up, and that was the right thing to do. Plus you’ll know what to do next time. As a guest advocate you need to be aware of what’s in your till and request change when it starts getting low. If you’ve had a good run of guests paying with cash take a moment to do a quick check to see if anything is low. My store’s guest demographic is predominately low income and a lot of our guests pay in cash because that’s how they get paid. We’re just more aware of how much change we have in our drawers.

In this case I would’ve apologized to the guest for not having the correct change to give them and then handed them a $5 and said Happy Holidays! with a smile. Then immediately put in a change request and flipped the light to blinking to get someone’s attention.

yeah I requested the dollar bills but no one came and I even told other team members to come then maybe 10 mins later someone comes over, god it sucks for me

Be proactive about asking for change. Put in the change request and then grab your SETLs if you see them, or grab someone with a walkie to call them and let them know. (Honestly, if your SETLs are completely MIA, just start smashing the ADD'L ASST button.)

When you are cashiering, treat that cash drawer like it is your own money. Of course, it isn't, but it is your job hanging in the balance.

The key is to put in your change request BEFORE you are empty...especially on weekends when alot of guests use us as their ATM.

There's alot of moving parts at GS and we can't always get to change requests immediately so being proactive is in everyone's best interest.

Yeah, don't ever let it become an emergency. Don't just think a few transactions ahead, think like an hour or two ahead. Sometimes when I'm grabbing a change request I'll ask cashiers on the way by if they need change, and they'll pop their drawers and look and go "hmm, no, I'm good." But then I look and by my judgement - thinking ahead an hour when people will be getting off work, thinking ahead to tonight after I'm off, thinking ahead to tomorrow morning because I know I'm not in until 10am - they're low on stuff.

It was a HUGE mistake, but your saving grace is that you're still a minor.

Could go either way, but if you're not a complete idiot going forward that will probably get chalked up to a lack of experience. An older seasonal would probably be let go immediately.

Leaving money unsecured is an automatic conduct CA. Not a huge deal just don’t do it again. The rules are pretty black and white when it comes to money and keys

It's not that black and white. If the event is documented, then things like "Automatic CA" matter. If it isn't documented...then for all intents and purposes it may as well have never happened.

My GSTL left money out overnight, I found it in the morning, our ETL spoke to him about it, but didn't document it and basically pretended it didn't happen "officially". Similarly years ago I took the GSTL keys home on accident, and realized on my way home (I closed, so the store wasn't open any longer), I showed up first thing the following morning to fess up despite having the day off, nothing was documented, same ETL just chose to pretend it had never happened aside from telling me to be more careful in the future.

If they document the occurrence, the CA is mandatory, but they can choose to not document such things at all.

thinking ahead to tomorrow morning because I know I'm not in until 10am - they're low on stuff.

Wut?

The money in their drawers today, will be entirely replaced with a set amount at the end of the night. I know SETL's only typically work mid shifts now, but holy shit, how the hell does a SETL not know what start funds are?

I'm talking about cash AND coins. That's what I'm evaluating when I peek at someone's drawer. Some of my cashiers like to say they have plenty of change when they've got, like, ten pennies left. I used to do the cash office when I was a GSA, and I still do it about once a week; I know what start funds are.

It's not that black and white. If the event is documented, then things like "Automatic CA" matter. If it isn't documented...then for all intents and purposes it may as well have never happened.

My GSTL left money out overnight, I found it in the morning, our ETL spoke to him about it, but didn't document it and basically pretended it didn't happen "officially". Similarly years ago I took the GSTL keys home on accident, and realized on my way home (I closed, so the store wasn't open any longer), I showed up first thing the following morning to fess up despite having the day off, nothing was documented, same ETL just chose to pretend it had never happened aside from telling me to be more careful in the future.

If they document the occurrence, the CA is mandatory, but they can choose to not document such things at all.
I said the policy is black and white, not whether somebody follows them or not

Last edited:
Back