Archived Wrong information from HR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I counted 3 things that HR explained wrong from orientation based on the handbook

1. Discounts being used on group gifts. The handbook says you can do it if you are paying equal or greater than what others are paying. HR said you can’t
2. Pants. Handbook says any solid color. HR says khaki
3. Discounts. I know from having a red card And using cartwheel and other coupons that although you can “stack” discounts they don’t add up.
For example 10% off team and 5% off red card will not add up to 15%. They apply one discount at a time in a certain order. So it might be 10 and then 5. On small purchases it’s not as noticeable but it’s false to say you are getting 15% off...

I didn’t want to be a smarty pants but she was wrong :)

About the pants, it's on a store by store basis, some strongly encourage you to wear khaki and will punish you in little ways until you conform, others are more lenient from what I hear.

But the handbook (which is policy) says solid color. I’ll wear khaki but I don’t like to be told something that isn’t really policy

I haven’t worn khakis in about a year lol. Tan jeans or cream colored shorts for me. Nothing has ever been said.

IIRC, the handbook isn't the be-all-end-all and your store's leadership ultimately makes the final decisions. Hence why unless you live in California, khaki pants are pretty much required.

Yeah, I'm wrong. Don't listen to me.

Last edited:
Stupid question, why are you concern about your pants color? You are given info on the dress code guidelines for spot in your state.

But the handbook (which is policy) says solid color. I’ll wear khaki but I don’t like to be told something that isn’t really policy
Maybe HR is right and the handbook is wrong (outdated)? It's best not to start off making waves, if you were intending to challenge HR on those things.

Except for the way the discounts add up. That's obviously wrong, so they either aren't very sharp or they were dumbing it down so they didn't have to stop and explain how 10+5=14.5

Like others have said, the solid color pants policy is mainly for states like California. In CA, employers who require uniforms have to provide them for employees. Target refrains from specifying khaki in order to not have to pay for the pants. Even red tops, they are like, almost any shade you choose is fine.

IIRC, the handbook isn't the be-all-end-all and your store's leadership ultimately makes the final decisions. Hence why unless you live in California, khaki pants are pretty much required.

I'm sorry but this is wrong the handbook is the end all from a legal standpoint.

Stores that try to force khaki on you do it passive aggressively but all it takes is an anonymous hotline call to get them to back off.

Last edited:
Stores that try to force khaki on you do it passive aggressively but all it takes is an anonymous hotline call to get them to back off.

When your new I wouldn't rock the boat, do some time and then see what the warden will tolerate.

OP - Though the policy is mainly so that Target can get away with not paying for our work clothes, you can try to wear other solid colored pants like HRZone said. If you are in California and Washington (the states that he and I are in), there is an info sheet that HR has access to that tells us that there cannot be any retaliation for TMs who don't wear khaki. If you are in these two states, your chances are good. I am unfamiliar with other states' laws on uniforms so I cannot say for sure if you are safe to challenge them outside of CA and WA.

If you plan to challenge this policy, even in the safe states, don't do it unless you are coded as a regular TM and are past 90 days. If you are seasonal or a regular under their 90, they can easily find a reason let you go.

If you plan to challenge this policy, even in the safe states, don't do it unless you are coded as a regular TM and are past 90 days. If you are seasonal or a regular under their 90, they can easily find a reason let you go.

Spot on. Inside 90 they don't even need a good reason to fire you.

As a seasonal you just put your head down and get the job done.

So you are new, and you scoured the handbook for the written rules, and you are upset over the difference between policy as stated and policy as written?

This is something my autistic daughter who is all hung up on rules and routine would do. And just like with her, that just won't go over very well if you make it your hill to die on.

I'm going to assume you're young, and I'm going to give you the same motherly advice I give my daughter. The world is not black and white, it's full of shades of gray. And that means The Rules can never be taken as absolute and you must be flexible to successfully meet whatever situation you encounter. Which means *in this case* go with the flow, keep your ears open and your mouth shut until you know what you are doing, and your local bosses carry more weight than the handbook unless it involves something unethical or illegal. And with the latter, there is a big difference between smoking marijuana (not your problem) and creating a hostile work environment (your problem). Choose your battles wisely if you want to win the war.

Throughout my shift today, and wearing solid colored purple pants, I began to wonder if this topic was satire and I got yelled at and fought my leadership for no reason.

Can’t complain about the pants. PMT bdu’s are preeeety nice :D

So you are new, and you scoured the handbook for the written rules, and you are upset over the difference between policy as stated and policy as written?

This is something my autistic daughter who is all hung up on rules and routine would do. And just like with her, that just won't go over very well if you make it your hill to die on.

I'm going to assume you're young, and I'm going to give you the same motherly advice I give my daughter. The world is not black and white, it's full of shades of gray. And that means The Rules can never be taken as absolute and you must be flexible to successfully meet whatever situation you encounter. Which means *in this case* go with the flow, keep your ears open and your mouth shut until you know what you are doing, and your local bosses carry more weight than the handbook unless it involves something unethical or illegal. And with the latter, there is a big difference between smoking marijuana (not your problem) and creating a hostile work environment (your problem). Choose your battles wisely if you want to win the war.

I'm not young. I'm not going to state my age but I have a long professional work history. This is a second job for me on top of a full time job and graduate school. My career is very much policy driven. Written policies matter in many fields. In my professional life other agencies adhering to policies can make or break my clients health, social, emotional and financial well being. Knowing policies in many fields is your job. HR especially. If I give out wrong information in my job there are serious consequences for my clients and if I did it repeatedly then I would be fired. Policies are written for a reason and the words that are choosen are very carefully chosen. (or at least should be). Again i didn't raise any of these issues at work and didn't plan to. But yes it bothers me that I was given incorrect information. I had browsed these boards before my interview so that's actually where most of my information came from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back