Archived At What Point Do you Ask For Promotion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaveAGoodDay

Jack of All Trades, Master of some
So I've been at Target for about 7 months as a cashier. For the past 2 or 3 I have been doing a lot of gsa/gstl work and covering pretty much all their breaks. I am getting tired of doing all the work and getting paid the same/ getting no recognition for it. Everyone says I do a really good job at whatever i'm doing (including ETL's). Should i just go up to my ETL-GE and ask for a promotion to GSA? Or should I just wait for him to ask me?

Never just wait to be told you should go for a promotion by your ETL. More than likely, they will never say anything and everyone will continue to expect you to do work outside of your pay grade.

Talk to your ETL about it and, as UBM stated, check EHR for an opening and apply. Talk to your HR if you're having difficulty. If they're halfway decent people, they'll at least get you to the application.

You and I are in the same boat, buddy. I've got a whole blog-thread about it on the Leadership forum. Basically if they don't want you to be promoted don't expect it to happen. They choose their favorites over those who are actually desiring and capable to lead.

The front lanes is literally in shambles with this new GSA. As nice as she is, she can't lead to save her life. Does not speedweave, does not call for backup as often as she should, gives away the store, etc. I'm surprised they haven't fired her yet.

Last edited:
let your etl's and tl's know you want to to be promoted. we get a lot of people who are happy in their niche and the occasional who try try the next step and want the lesser responsibility.

cashier, gsa should be easily accesible to you. train at service desk and get good at the target interview. after gsa you should be ready for tl. you're practically a tl without the pay. push it though. apply all the time. they figured i could do it within my 90 days, and i just figured they would take care of it. "when we get training hours, when we have time"

push it.

What everyone except for forhyre is saying. Bring it up to them because it shows initiative, be prepared to state why (don't say the pay increase) and support your potential promotion with examples. Don't get discouraged if they say no, accept it gracefully then follow up with inquiries on how to qualify for the position. Whether it's developmental, cross-training, or compliance, that way you have a somewhat measurable checklist the next time a position is available. Either way, it's a win-win. You show initiative, drive, perseverance (especially if turned down) and those things are important qualities in a leader.

Oh and i'll add that I am trained in every single area of the front end

Tell someone. Chances are you'll be put into an endless line of benched team members, but there's a glimmer of hope.

I would let the etls/ hr know you are interested in moving up. Let them know you are excited to take on new challenges . Good luck!

definitely let your GE know and your HR know. an important part in an ETLs core role(if they are serious and want to promote themselves) is to find talent and develop/promote that talent. If you have a good HR they should be MORE THAN happy to at least put you through interviews and get you on the bench if nothing is open. this must also be supported by your STL but never wait for an opportunity because another TM could be thinking just like you and swoop in before you even get a chance

So I've been at Target for about 7 months as a cashier. For the past 2 or 3 I have been doing a lot of gsa/gstl work and covering pretty much all their breaks.

What does "a lot of GSA/GSTL work" mean?

ie. Zoning, helping other cashiers, collecting reshop, etc. on your cashier shifts, or actually being scheduled as a GSA w/o sup #'s or promotion?

As much as some people may call you an a$$ kisser for this I always suggest being buddy buddy with the ETL's no matter what the rest of your coworkers think about them. Being close with the ETL's no matter what will always make your life easier in a way.

I basically do everything and anything I can in the store and always share my ideas when it comes to pushing sales while on the floor. I know working the floor is a bit different than being up front but when you put in initiative and the ETL's see that they will always remember you and have you in the back of their mind. At least that's how it is at my store. If you have ideas and keep bringing up different things that maybe your store hasn't tried before it really shows you have a creative ability to drive sales and in the long run that and being able to control your team on the floor is what ETL's look for when promoting people. They want to see that you can get people to work under you and they want to see people working smoothly and efficiently.

I'm a college student and have been working for spot for 2 years now. I literally just walked into the office one day and started bs*ing w/ the DTL and STL randomly because they started asking me questions about how I felt about Target and the direction it was heading. I told them that I honestly didn't see myself really wanting to leave the company and that I wanted to see what Target would have to offer me in the future as far as possibly becoming an ETL once I finished college. Ever since then I have been on the "bench" which is basically what they call their promotion pipeline to mold the minds of young workers who work hard and show great initiative. I know that from stories I have read on here that some districts "bench" team members are basically just stuck in limbo and it's just a glorified way of saying the ETL's appreciate all the hard work you do and what not. However from my view it's entirely different, after I started talking to the ETL's about their jobs and how I get to that level they've treated me entirely different than before. From getting more hours to having more responsibility and control on the floor it's made my life easier allowing me to do things I probably couldn't have done previously.

Ask for the promotion! Even if the spot isn't readily available for you to move up now it will show your interest and possibly make your life a lot easier in the long run. Just my opinion! It's never a bad thing to ask, because you'll never know if you don't! Keep us updated plz~

It really depends on you store management and your experience.

But if you are an ass kisser, store management will let you know if a position is about to come open.

If you work the straight forward way without kissing ass, you might want to inform your TL, ETL, HR, and STL that you are interested in advancing and would like to be given some development training and opportunities. Then be a little prideful, and at huddles announce any goals that you are working on or accomplish. And also write tons of Vibe cards even for small things.

As much as some people may call you an a$$ kisser for this I always suggest being buddy buddy with the ETL's no matter what the rest of your coworkers think about them. Being close with the ETL's no matter what will always make your life easier in a way.

I basically do everything and anything I can in the store and always share my ideas when it comes to pushing sales while on the floor. I know working the floor is a bit different than being up front but when you put in initiative and the ETL's see that they will always remember you and have you in the back of their mind. At least that's how it is at my store. If you have ideas and keep bringing up different things that maybe your store hasn't tried before it really shows you have a creative ability to drive sales and in the long run that and being able to control your team on the floor is what ETL's look for when promoting people. They want to see that you can get people to work under you and they want to see people working smoothly and efficiently.

I'm a college student and have been working for spot for 2 years now. I literally just walked into the office one day and started bs*ing w/ the DTL and STL randomly because they started asking me questions about how I felt about Target and the direction it was heading. I told them that I honestly didn't see myself really wanting to leave the company and that I wanted to see what Target would have to offer me in the future as far as possibly becoming an ETL once I finished college. Ever since then I have been on the "bench" which is basically what they call their promotion pipeline to mold the minds of young workers who work hard and show great initiative. I know that from stories I have read on here that some districts "bench" team members are basically just stuck in limbo and it's just a glorified way of saying the ETL's appreciate all the hard work you do and what not. However from my view it's entirely different, after I started talking to the ETL's about their jobs and how I get to that level they've treated me entirely different than before. From getting more hours to having more responsibility and control on the floor it's made my life easier allowing me to do things I probably couldn't have done previously.

Ask for the promotion! Even if the spot isn't readily available for you to move up now it will show your interest and possibly make your life a lot easier in the long run. Just my opinion! It's never a bad thing to ask, because you'll never know if you don't! Keep us updated plz~
As much as I am anti- ass kissing. Sadly, you are correct. Moving ahead in Spot is based on several factors one of which is smoozing the etls ( nicer than saying kissing ass). If you want to move ahead and that's what gets you there ( and you are comfortable with it) then go ahead. In the good ole days, the etls/ stls would notice how hard you worked and then ask you if you were interested in promotion and then it went from there.The Spot of today pretty much requires you to smooze your way to the top. I wont kiss ass but to each their own. I would say just be you and if Spot chooses to see you would be a great fit for a leadership role, great...if not then you can make the choice as to stay or move on.

You don't. You wait for a position to open and then you apply.

I am in the same boat here, recently I went up to my GSTLs and told them that I was interested in a GSA position. I had watched the lanes before many times but its hard to without Sup #s. Been at the store little over a year now and will go crazy if I do another year of just cashing. They told me to just apply on eHR because they are looking for one. GSTL said it was a good thing I mentioned it or they wouldn't of known I was interested.

Oh and i'll add that I am trained in every single area of the front end
Do you know how drive the cart pusher or anything at the service desk? Are you red card stellar?
Yes, I'll help cart attend when our cart attendants are behind and I know service desk well. I'm not a top performer with red cards but i get enough to stay green (+ Starbucks, Food Ave, Pharmacy cashier, sales floor, & I've done ad placement from 4 am before)

Last edited:
So I've been at Target for about 7 months as a cashier. For the past 2 or 3 I have been doing a lot of gsa/gstl work and covering pretty much all their breaks.

What does "a lot of GSA/GSTL work" mean?

ie. Zoning, helping other cashiers, collecting reshop, etc. on your cashier shifts, or actually being scheduled as a GSA w/o sup #'s or promotion?
the stuff you mentioned except actually being scheduled as gsa (we already have 3 GSA's + 2 GSTL's and a srGSTL) I'll also put out the trading cards, candy, zone one spot, put out bags/recipt paper on the lanes

Again to you I say, best of luck. If you really want it, tell everyone -- your GSTLs, ETL-GE, and STL if you still feel you aren't getting anywhere. Check eHR for open positions. Master the front end. As a GSA you are the supervisor w/o supervisory pay and anyone willing to put up with that is A+ in my book.

I think you should ask for a pay decrease. Sounds like you don't appreciate the honor and privilege bestowed upon you from doing work for Target beyond your pay grade. Taking a little cut might make you more appreciative of the greatness Target provides you.

Seriously - seek promotion like others have recommended

check out EHR and look under career opportunities. At my Target the ETL-GE does ask people to apply (and I do not think she should do that) but I have been applying every time I see the position open up again! good luck!

Never that will get you out the door faster than you think. I've seen it happen to several good people.

Never just wait to be told you should go for a promotion by your ETL. More than likely, they will never say anything and everyone will continue to expect you to do work outside of your pay grade.

Talk to your ETL about it and, as UBM stated, check EHR for an opening and apply. Talk to your HR if you're having difficulty. If they're halfway decent people, they'll at least get you to the application.
exactly. tell everyone you know that you want to move up. anyone from stl to gsa. we identify people who can be moved up. some get lost in "when we get training hours." you apply for internal positions and the general response is ok, you care lets train you so you're better qualified for next time. the more they know the more they help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back