Boy, has my Target gone downhill

Best use of drive-up: I was leaving for the day & was parked near the drive-up aisle when I saw a co-worker friend taking bags out to a car. As she spoke to the driver she looked in the back seat, saw me & waved me over.
The cutest little newborn was snuggled up in her carseat & we both did a whispered squeal at the sight of her.
It was the mom's first trip out solo.

This is truly a failing company... its actually been self-imploding since Cornell took over but he keeps making money for the investors by cutting our payroll, incentives, safety and anything else he can. I hope something changes real soon because I'm getting too old to jump companies again.... But yeah, things are real bad at Spot

Slight correction... it's been self imploding since Steinhaffel took over.

Basically... Ulrich goes to retire perfectly coinciding with 2008 recession pretty much. Steinhafel takes it, eliminates a bunch of positions, and some stores actually saw increased profitability despite recession(not necessarily increased sales - increased profitability...) and the company hasn't moved off of that strategy since. Either eliminating positions or hours any time they can possibly get away with it.

Steinnhaffel would have lasted until 65 (2019ish) had Canada not been such a large blunder. Then the data breach happened and it was gg for his career.

Ulrich was the last CEO target had whose long term vision wasn't simply just "bleed it."

A sad sight to see, but I think the probability of this being the fate of every single successful company gets closer and closer to 100% over time, as you get further and further away from the guy/gal who made it successful dying/retiring/selling. Eventually an MBA who gives no shits about the company except as a means to an end for exclusively selfish purposes takes over and bleeds it AND/OR they don't know HOW to continue to keep it successful, and that's all she wrote.

Retailers this big usually take decades to go out of business. It's not an overnight thing. KMart was going out of business for probably 30 years and hell I still think there's literally 1 or 2 KMarts in the country. Apparently there are now 12. There used to be around 2500. This is Targets' fate. It is a certainty. The only question is time.

Walmart offers a more pleasant shopping experience. For some reason, that perception from the public that Target is better still hasn't shifted. Eventually it will, and then things really start to speed up.

Last edited:

Basically... Ulrich goes to retire perfectly coinciding with 2008 recession pretty much. Steinhafel takes it, eliminates a bunch of positions, and some stores actually saw increased profitability despite recession(not necessarily increased sales - increased profitability...) and the company hasn't moved off of that strategy since. Either eliminating positions or hours any time they can possibly get away with it.

Steinnhaffel would have lasted until 65 (2019ish) had Canada not been such a large blunder. Then the data breach happened and it was gg for his career.

Ulrich was the last CEO target had whose long term vision wasn't simply just "bleed it."

A sad sight to see, but I think the probability of this being the fate of every single successful company gets closer and closer to 100% over time, as you get further and further away from the guy/gal who made it successful dying/retiring/selling. Eventually an MBA who gives no shits about the company except as a means to an end for exclusively selfish purposes takes over and bleeds it AND/OR they don't know HOW to continue to keep it successful, and that's all she wrote.

Retailers this big usually take decades to go out of business. It's not an overnight thing. KMart was going out of business for probably 30 years and hell I still think there's literally 1 or 2 KMarts in the country. Apparently there are now 12. There used to be around 2500. This is Targets' fate. It is a certainty. The only question is time.

Walmart offers a more pleasant shopping experience. For some reason, that perception from the public that Target is better still hasn't shifted. Eventually it will, and then things really start to speed up.
Thank you. I've on;y been with Spot since 2011, but I do understand as I was management with K-Mart when they had 2500+ stores and first declared bankruptcy so I know all too well... I just beed 16 more years so I can reyire, but I'm concerned...

Thank you. I've on;y been with Spot since 2011, but I do understand as I was management with K-Mart when they had 2500+ stores and first declared bankruptcy so I know all too well... I just beed 16 more years so I can reyire, but I'm concerned...

They are still doing a ton in sales and it is still really profitable. If this is your timeline, even if things started really deteriorating, you should be alright. I think they're the only "not Walmart" alternative the US has nationwide and they still have the rep of being a good store, but for the life of me I don't know why. The stores are absolutely putrid compared to even 10 short years ago and as I said, Walmart offers a better shopping experience both in terms of brand on the floor and the checkouts.

I assume Target still has better clothing / home goods and this is what is carrying them.

They are still doing a ton in sales and it is still really profitable. If this is your timeline, even if things started really deteriorating, you should be alright. I think they're the only "not Walmart" alternative the US has nationwide and they still have the rep of being a good store, but for the life of me I don't know why. The stores are absolutely putrid compared to even 10 short years ago and as I said, Walmart offers a better shopping experience both in terms of brand on the floor and the checkouts.

I assume Target still has better clothing / home goods and this is what is carrying them.

If you look at Target's annual report this is where they make the most of their money because of the high margins.

If you look at Target's annual report this is where they make the most of their money because of the high margins.

Yeah that's always been the case. Just surprised those greedy bastards haven't decided to completely kill the quality of the clothing and home goods(in the name of short term profitability) and thus really the only thing they have left. Because it sure as hell isn't brand or service.

I live in an area where Walmart is #1, Meijer is #2, and Target is #3. I started off where Target was #1. It’s a completely different world here. No one likes target.

We're doing well in my town because we're near some major colleges and 99% of these kids use apple pay, which Walmart doesn't have

I'm going to agree that Walmart offers a more pleasant shopping experience. My local store is well-zoned, well-staffed, and runs smooth. Some of the associates are slow af and there seems to be zero hurry up mentality, it's true. Some of the customers are questionable in any number of ways. Truth be told I'd rather shop there than my home Target unless I'm already there for work.

Target does well in my city because as far as big box retailers goes, it’s the only game in town. A store with little competition can be pretty inefficient and still get all that low-hanging fruit. The nearest Walmart is 35 miles away, which is a good thing for Spot because if Walmart ever gets a foot in the door with their low prices it’s going to be game over for Target around here.

I don't find Walmart's prices much better than ours, plus with our discount and RedCard we are often lower. Also, around here at least, Walmart's aisles are overstuffed and I just do not like the atmosphere, graphics, or shopping experience.

I much prefer Target, although our standards have dropped for sure. Still, we have nice decor and household items. And I love our womens jeans and graphic tees.

Walmart for fig newtons, fishing equipment and 22 cal ammo. Target for everything else. I recently got prescription glasses at T. Great price, quality glasses.

How exactly am I meant to get the information of my store's ETL-HR, for purposes of a background check.
The smart thing would be for the store to have a separate email address for that inquiry. Then again all the ETL-HR is going to do is verify you worked there anyway.

In a similar story I applied to Costco and played phone tag with them for weeks to set up an interview.

I finally got a message stating to come in and talk to So and So at this time. Of course the person wasn't even there but I played them the voicemail to show the co-workers that person was an idiot.

The thing is Costco had my email address from my application so why didn't you just email me to set up a time.

The smart thing would be for the store to have a separate email address for that inquiry. Then again all the ETL-HR is going to do is verify you worked there anyway.

In a similar story I applied to Costco and played phone tag with them for weeks to set up an interview.

I finally got a message stating to come in and talk to So and So at this time. Of course the person wasn't even there but I played them the voicemail to show the co-workers that person was an idiot.

The thing is Costco had my email address from my application so why didn't you just email me to set up a time.

At least I got a name from my an old coworker that I can put down. So at least there's that. I'll keep hoping to get their email, but I don't expect much.

Back