Archived Can you get in trouble for staying later?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlowChick

Expect The Unexpected
For example, every now and then I will stay at least 30 minutes after I was scheduled to leave because I wanted to finish up something I was doing, or helping someone with. I am no where near 40 hours. More like under 30 hours. I only do it maybe once or twice a week. I don't ask to or get asked to stay longer.

So will I eventually get in trouble over it or am I okay to do this?

Is it more about the hours of the store in whole or making sure no team member is over 40 hours?

I do it often and no one really says anything. I get away with it because im the team lead "assistant" but it did happen to me once where i was doing too too often and they told me in a nice way something like hey we know you care and want to get the work done but if you need to stay get LOD approval. I dont do 30 mins anymore though. Max 15.

You should always clear it if you are going to go over.
They might let you slide for now but if for some reason they start running over and they want to set some examples you will bet thrown under the bus.

Sometimes, other times you get in trouble for leaving on schedule. Would be nice if leadership would let you know by lunch how late they want you to stay

It depends on if payroll is tight that week at my store.
We have a girl who regularly stays 10-15 min late every day. She's been warned, tho.

TL here and I do it about 2-3x a week because I always get pulled for something and I hate leaving work behind for the team. It wasn't until last week did we learn that it's an ongoing issue with the store so they're getting strict about it. It's annoying how they want you to complete your workload but pull you to zone or push cafs and get upset with you when nothing gets completed.

Are you allowed to clock out before your shift is over then? lol

You should always clear it if you are going to go over.
They might let you slide for now but if for some reason they start running over and they want to set some examples you will bet thrown under the bus.

I'm definitely not the only one who does. Most of us soft line flow members stay longer because our work load seems never ending...

Sometimes I'll be asked to stay by my TL because a large order came in & they need help; one TM takes the counter while the others date-tag, FIFO & put away.

I've done 15 minutes once or twice a week. I can't leave the SD until my relief comes....

If a person is consistently late, then leave on time. Let the GSTL or gsa know you are leaving and do so. If you continually allow it to be your problem they are late, nothing will ever change. If you make it the higher ups problem, then things are more likely to change.

After my last review, I stopped staying when the person following me as GSA/guest service was constantly late. She got away with it for years without anyone saying anything. But as soon as I started leaving on time, it took them less than a month to put her on CA for it. Now she's still constantly late, but not by nearly as much as she was (not that it matters, I still won't stay if it's her, and now neither do the others).

I stay over every now and then ( most of the time I am asked sometimes I am not) . The times that I am not asked to stay...I will usually stay over 15 30 min. ...and only if I am in the middle of something and cant take off and leave it undone. To be honest, its not about 15-30 extra minutes its about trying to get the job done. However, I also know when there is a payroll crunch and those days I leave right on time...done or not .

My TL used to leave late everyday. Not a few minutes but it would be like 20-45 minutes. She's absolutely terrible at time management. Also she ends up covering the front lanes occasionally. So it's partially her own poor time management and partially poor scheduling. She did get in trouble though. New leadership fixed all the regulars on the wall of overtime shame.

I'd guess if your store has the hours and you're not in "danger" of ot it might not be as important an issue in your store, but you should probably talk to someone about the expectations as far as leaving late.

Just make sure the LOD at the time is cool with you leaving early or late so that hours can be calculated appropriately. Depending on your project and position they'll generally be either more lax or more strict, especially if it's the beginning or end of the month for payroll.

Are you allowed to clock out before your shift is over then? lol
Yes, you can clock out before schedule but it will show up on your attendance report if it meets the threshold.

The "attendance report" logs TMs who clock in 7-8 minutes or more late (LATE), TMs who clock out 6 minutes or more early (LEFT EARLY), and TMs who clock out 6 minutes or more past schedule (WORK PAST SCHEDULE). It also logs CO and NCNS. The "CAPS" represent the title they are given in the report.

An ETL can hold any of those against you but you really don't have to worry about WORK PAST SCHEDULE at the TM level. Managing payroll is a TL/ETL problem, not a TMs. If you WPS then it is up to the TL/ETL to make sure TMs clock out on time. LPDAs will vibrate when TMs need to clock out if logged in as the LOD so they should know who needs to clock out (if they are logged in as LOD).

I held my TMs accountable for CO, NCNS, and LATE in excess of 15 mins. However, only if there is a pattern. Shit happens so I apply that to attendance issues. My only advice is to avoid overtime. That is a report HR and the STL follow up on. Some stores are more strict about OT than others. I had TMs hit OT at least once a month. It was more of a task for me to prevent it than the TMs responsibility. I was forced to "Coach" them but it was just an informal "Hey you hit overtime, let's do our best to prevent that in the future." Then we finished with a wink and a high five.

At my store going over is fine (at least for logistics) and even expected for flow team. It's not uncommon to stay 30+ minutes past and it's fine as long as you don't hit OT. TMs scheduled at 40 hours usually get a reminder from HR to leave early at the end of the week.

I do it often and no one really says anything. I get away with it because im the team lead "assistant" but it did happen to me once where i was doing too too often and they told me in a nice way something like hey we know you care and want to get the work done but if you need to stay get LOD approval. I dont do 30 mins anymore though. Max 15.

Is this "assistant" position an actual position or something more made up? Interesting...

It depends on you workcenter TL or Exec. I had leadership that had no trouble letting me stay on a few extra minutes to finish a task or help with the transition to the next person. I would communicate it though if you stay later. Your store might be budgeting hours, and extra 30 minutes might get you in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back