Archived Closing backroom with a badly performing TM. Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PullMonkey

Ex-Backroom Badass
We have a TM that so far has performed terribly when closing Backroom. He's let CAFs roll, and takes forever to pull the smallest of batches.

Aaaand, I have to close with him tomorrow.

I don't exactly have the authority to tell him he's not going to pull, but there's no way in hell I want him pulling. Should I partner with the LOD? Or just go ahead and say he's not pulling

All he's gotten so far is a "talking to"

Have you asked if he knows "how" to perform the job? Have you provided some tips so that the pulls go more quickly? Does he know the standards and expectations?

Is it a lack of knowledge & experience?

Or the lack of a work ethic?

He was trained by the same person who trained me, who is also one of the best people we have in the backroom. She's also the one who trained me, and trained me quite well. I have no doubt he knows full well the expectations, and the best methods for performance.

I'll talk to him tomorrow and see what all he has to say on the matter, but I'm pretty much convinced it's a lack of work ethic, not a lack of knowledge.

I'll do my best, just don't know how they'll respond.

Should I start off by letting him pull then? See what happens and be ready to jump in/work along side?

I'm trying my best to have a helping mindset, instead of a "get the hell out of the backroom" mindset

I think your best bet is to work with him and see maybe if working with a good tm (you) he will get the general idea. Have a " seek to understand" convo with him. After this you will know where his head is at. Good luck!

Appreciate the advice guys. Is there any good way to bring up the issue? Other than "you're slow as shit and it's annoying"? Because I don't think that'd go over to well

So I can bring it up if necessary, what're the consequences of rolling CAFs anyway? Besides giving us more work to do

Because if necessary, I do want to stress the importance of good performance back there, and how it hurts the store if it doesn't happen

I know that, I just don't fully understand all the consequences that might come as a result. Again, I want a good way to stress the importance of performance

Rolling cafs will get noticed at some point...it shows up on a report. Not to mention if they roll over into the next hours caf ...you have even more work to do. If the lazy team member isn't pulling up to par then print out the CAF sheet and give it to the LOD and or TL.

I sometimes use the 'chained bulldog' approach:
"Dude, watch the CAF times before they roll. I don't want XXX LOD on my a$$."
Of course, this is only effective if he's been spoken to before about rolling CAFs.
If he hasn't, then leadership may be part of the problem.

When I pull auto fills or cafs...I always pull up the times before I start ( to give me a general idea of what I am getting into) I also pull them up after I am done...I print it off and put it in my pocket. I always protect myself .

Besides creating more work for you, CAFs rolling over dings the CAF Pull Timeliness score. CAFS rolling over is potentially empty product on a shelf not getting pulled fast enough, which means missed sales and less sales = less hours for you.

Acknowledge the problem
Explain what has been happening
Listen to the reasoning
Based on conversation, work on the best solution to solve the problem'
Stay positive, negativity pushes people away
See what the person is comfortable doing, and learn and to get them to do it faster.

Straight line approach. If it's two people that means you start on one side and the other person starts on the other side and you eventually meet in receiving to pull the bulk stuff. That's the best way to do it. The straight line approach is the most logical because it means that you don't leave any batches behind you and when you reach receiving you will not be going back to the side that you were pulling. If you are the faster backroom person then you should pull the side is heavier. I always start on the grocery side because it's heavier and the person I work with on the weekend is slow at pulling caf batches.

Talked to my TL (Who's a Sr, and is closing tomorrow night) and I have permission to take authority and have him do stuff other than pulling. TL will have my back if need be.

Still gonna try and work with him, but we'll see

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back