Did I get fired? TL went up to HR

Don't blank out posts, report to a staff member if you need something deleted
Been working at target for about 6 months now, I was sick and left early on a work day with the permission of a TL (I felt fine in the morning but after doing the truck I started to feel worse)

I told him I definitely would have to take tomorrow off and he said "ok" I called out on the spot, I didn't realize it would be a big deal.

I was off for a day and then worked another but I was even more sick than before, I don't know how it works with posting shifts and all I was going to call HR later in the day. (Woke up 6AM)

9AM HR calls me asking me if I wanted to make the shift a Half shift, since they need to cut down on hours, I told HR that I felt sick and I might need to call off, so I asked her if she could cut the shift so I can post it, or if she rather I call out, She then said "You can just call out, you don't really have a pattern of calling out or anything" So I stupidly just called out.

Fast forward 2 days to my shift, all is normal and a TL calls me into the office and tells me

"This isn't a conversation I'd like to be having with you but I'm forced to, you can't be calling out, It really messes everything up for us, especially you calling out twice, and I really really had to vouch for you. Don't do it again"

I'm not sure if I got written up or anything and as far as I know I have no write ups, He told me not to take it personal and everything is fine. I get along well with that TL.

The next day, different shift, all is normal, A different TL (He's the main inbound TL, he's becoming an ETL soon) pulls me aside to help him for the last hour in the backroom right before I'm off. As I'm leaving we get along well, exchange numbers so I can pick up a shift if any are available, (I usually get 4-5 days a week) and he says "I have to have this conversation with you, You can't call out" We're talking about the same thing and issues and then I told him that HR told me to call out and that it wouldn't be a problem. He then said "Yea that's all bull, never call out, it hurts your attendance" He was visibly upset and told me he would need to have a word with them. I take my last 15 and as I'm clocking out I see him again and he tells me he had a conversation with them, to never call out, and "I'm always really harsh with my ETL's".

I told him I'd rather he doesn't start stuff because they're making the Schedule "Tomorrow" which is today and that It could screw me over. He told me "don't worry about it, its all fine, I'll see you during your next shift or call you in"

TLDR

The schedule comes out today, its Thursday, I check it at 12PM and it says I only have 1 shift in a different Department, (I'm Inbound) For Food and Beverage. I rechecked an hour later to screenshot it and I have no shifts. 6 hours later I still have no shifts. It appears exactly what I feared happened, TL angered HR that makes the schedule, now I'm getting canned... and since I called out twice that's all they need on paper to remove me. Maybe they were like "Let's make him quit by cutting his hours" and then they thought "Well he called out, we can just fire him on the spot"

Not sure what to do in the situation, I have one more week of 4 shifts, I guess I'll get pulled aside, my last scheduled day will probably be my last day.

Hours are tight right now so may be the cause of the lack of shifts. You can check the app to pick up shifts.

In order to be terminated for performance/attendance you usually need to have at least 2 CA's and have already been given a final for attendance. Have you had conversations with your TL before on attendance? But you would know if you were fired. Don't expect to get many shifts right now as well but you are less likely to get put on if you have reliability issues. Its not supposed to be retaliatory but sometimes if you anger the bee's nest you can be in that crossfire.

Just keep in mind when hours are extremely tight call offs severely impact the team and workload falls behind. Things happen just dont repeat it

Hours are tight right now so may be the cause of the lack of shifts. You can check the app to pick up shifts.

In order to be terminated for performance/attendance you usually need to have at least 2 CA's and have already been given a final for attendance. Have you had conversations with your TL before on attendance? But you would know if you were fired. Don't expect to get many shifts right now as well but you are less likely to get put on if you have reliability issues. Its not supposed to be retaliatory but sometimes if you anger the bee's nest you can be in that crossfire.

Just keep in mind when hours are extremely tight call offs severely impact the team and workload falls behind. Things happen just dont repeat it

I could've just posted it and anyone would've taken the shift but I was told to call out just because HR was above payroll. We're now going into the new month when I've averaged 4-5 days a week, I've always been reliable, always came in when called, and always extending. Now I have zero hours in 2 weeks and I'm going to have to figure out a way to pay my rent.

I could've just posted it and anyone would've taken the shift but I was told to call out just because HR was above payroll. We're now going into the new month when I've averaged 4-5 days a week, I've always been reliable, always came in when called, and always extending. Now I have zero hours in 2 weeks and I'm going to have to figure out a way to pay my rent.
Just talk to your ETL and ask to pick up more hours. Closed mouths don't get fed at Target. If you need hours, the best you can do is speak up. nothing is guaranteed at Target but most times asking goes a long way.

I don't know how and I don't care how, but I'm back to 40 on the next 2 schedules.
Good.

They probably figured out that they didn't have anyone to replace you.

I would look in Workday and see if there any sort of write up.

If so DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE IT.

I was wrote up last September and my TL didn't even tell me it was in Workday until I saw almost two weeks later. I complained to HR and they said they my TL told me which was BS.

You would think write-ups would have to be acknowledged by the person wrote up with but apparently that's not the case.

Good.

They probably figured out that they didn't have anyone to replace you.

I would look in Workday and see if there any sort of write up.

If so DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE IT.

I was wrote up last September and my TL didn't even tell me it was in Workday until I saw almost two weeks later. I complained to HR and they said they my TL told me which was BS.

You would think write-ups would have to be acknowledged by the person wrote up with but apparently that's not the case.
Rarejem isn’t the person that posted the thread. They aren’t on write up.

Sign nothing. Assholes. 7 years of that stupid shit, I never signed one single review and most were good.
Agreed and I always thought that was odd for such a large company.

Then again I was given a review my a TL that I didn't know my was MY TL in the past!

If you're sick and must call out, do so without reservation. Of course you'd love to tell the moronic TL to go screw himself/herself but don't do it. Not just yet. It will backfire. Not MAY, it will work against you. Don't get too detailed with your explanation, keep it short and to the point. Don't tell them y'all got all fucked up at the Blue Onion Roadhouse downing gallons of PBR and shots of Rebel Yell.

If you're sick and must call out, do so without reservation. Of course you'd love to tell the moronic TL to go screw himself/herself but don't do it. Not just yet. It will backfire. Not MAY, it will work against you. Don't get too detailed with your explanation, keep it short and to the point. Don't tell them y'all got all fucked up at the Blue Onion Roadhouse downing gallons of PBR and shots of Rebel Yell.

Use the app and don't give anyone an explanation.

Make sure you screenshot the approval too.

Last edited:
If it's anything like my store, they don't fire you but they give you less hours as a sort of punishment for calling out often. They would rather have someone reliable to work then someone who calls out often. It's usually temporary once your attendance improve.

Some of the things that were on the "reviews" were absurd. No fighting them, they were mostly cut and paste and not creative in the least. It was a fill in job to pass the time. Some of the mgmt had some brains and the others were inexperienced young kids with no work history.

Some of the things that were on the "reviews" were absurd. No fighting them, they were mostly cut and paste and not creative in the least. It was a fill in job to pass the time. Some of the mgmt had some brains and the others were inexperienced young kids with no work history.
As I have mentioned in past threads if you read my reviews you literally had no idea what I even do since they were so generic.

Then again any company that does everyone's review at the same time every year shows me that they mean nothing.

My TL has 8 TMs so it's not like they have to do a lot of them.

Last edited:
As I have mentioned in past threads if you read my reviews you literally had no idea what I even do since they were so generic.

Then again any company that does everyone's review at the same time every year shows me that they mean nothing.

My TL 8 TMs so it's not like they have to do a lot of them.
I'm going to defend leadership here a bit.

As a former lead for another company, the paperwork and reviews, scheduling, attendance, poring over numbers, following up on team member performance - all of that stuff was a lot of work. Sitting down to write a thorough analysis of the performance of eight individuals is a lot. Couple that with also being expected to task as well as answering to two or three people above you, and being a leader is not the walk in the park employees think it is.

I get it, that's what people sign up for when they become a leader, and that's why they get paid more. But it is easy for regular tms to criticize when they don't really know what's happening behind the scenes and what kind of pressure leaders are dealing with from those above them.

Just my two cents on a different perspective.

Been working at target for about 6 months now, I was sick and left early on a work day with the permission of a TL (I felt fine in the morning but after doing the truck I started to feel worse)

I told him I definitely would have to take tomorrow off and he said "ok" I called out on the spot, I didn't realize it would be a big deal.

I was off for a day and then worked another but I was even more sick than before, I don't know how it works with posting shifts and all I was going to call HR later in the day. (Woke up 6AM)

9AM HR calls me asking me if I wanted to make the shift a Half shift, since they need to cut down on hours, I told HR that I felt sick and I might need to call off, so I asked her if she could cut the shift so I can post it, or if she rather I call out, She then said "You can just call out, you don't really have a pattern of calling out or anything" So I stupidly just called out.

Fast forward 2 days to my shift, all is normal and a TL calls me into the office and tells me

"This isn't a conversation I'd like to be having with you but I'm forced to, you can't be calling out, It really messes everything up for us, especially you calling out twice, and I really really had to vouch for you. Don't do it again"

I'm not sure if I got written up or anything and as far as I know I have no write ups, He told me not to take it personal and everything is fine. I get along well with that TL.

The next day, different shift, all is normal, A different TL (He's the main inbound TL, he's becoming an ETL soon) pulls me aside to help him for the last hour in the backroom right before I'm off. As I'm leaving we get along well, exchange numbers so I can pick up a shift if any are available, (I usually get 4-5 days a week) and he says "I have to have this conversation with you, You can't call out" We're talking about the same thing and issues and then I told him that HR told me to call out and that it wouldn't be a problem. He then said "Yea that's all bull, never call out, it hurts your attendance" He was visibly upset and told me he would need to have a word with them. I take my last 15 and as I'm clocking out I see him again and he tells me he had a conversation with them, to never call out, and "I'm always really harsh with my ETL's".

I told him I'd rather he doesn't start stuff because they're making the Schedule "Tomorrow" which is today and that It could screw me over. He told me "don't worry about it, its all fine, I'll see you during your next shift or call you in"

TLDR

The schedule comes out today, its Thursday, I check it at 12PM and it says I only have 1 shift in a different Department, (I'm Inbound) For Food and Beverage. I rechecked an hour later to screenshot it and I have no shifts. 6 hours later I still have no shifts. It appears exactly what I feared happened, TL angered HR that makes the schedule, now I'm getting canned... and since I called out twice that's all they need on paper to remove me. Maybe they were like "Let's make him quit by cutting his hours" and then they thought "Well he called out, we can just fire him on the spot"

Not sure what to do in the situation, I have one more week of 4 shifts, I guess I'll get pulled aside, my last scheduled day will probably be my last day

This is not as it should be. Rules are: 3 call outs/late in/ late out in 30 days - 1 documented conversation
3 more in the next 30 days DA
3 more in the next 30 days Final

NCNS directly a DA

Anyway a minimum of 4 hours per week should be guaranteed

This is not as it should be. Rules are: 3 call outs/late in/ late out in 30 days - 1 documented conversation
3 more in the next 30 days DA
3 more in the next 30 days Final

NCNS directly a DA

Anyway a minimum of 4 hours per week should be guaranteed
This must be case by case basis. TM s here calling out once a week for 3 months, 12 call outs/3 months: are still here. Other TM s 3 call outs/late over 3 months with Dr note get canned.

This must be case by case basis. TM s here calling out once a week for 3 months, 12 call outs/3 months: are still here. Other TM s 3 call outs/late over 3 months with Dr note get cann
There are rules. If they are canned it means they were on a final. And if they still have a job after calling out so many times it means their leader did not document their reliability.

Back