Archived Has Working Retail Made You An Independent Shopper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havok

Finally A Guest Again
Like the title suggests, do you just walk in a store and shop without bothering the people who work there? Since I know how retail has made me feel about a lot of people, I know a lot of us have the same opinion when it comes to incredibly needy customers. My cellphone and google have pretty much become my main source of information when I shop. It opens up the door for a lot more information I need that employees at other stores may not know. I know that when I see guests doing that in my store, I greatly appreciate it because it lets me do my work without being interrupted. So, how about you guys? Do you still ask for help or do you just walk in and shop on your own? Do you appreciate guests who don't ask for help or do you enjoy having guests who need help?

When ive gone shopping for electronics I always know exactly what I want. I check amazon and any other site for reviews before I take the plunge on an expensive item.

i'll still ask for help when necessary. By and large I know what I want, get it and leave. But, there are those times when I can't find something and have to ask for help. I dislike it when retail workers act like i'm inconveniencing them for doing their job.

It's made me absolutely to the point with questions and I always thank the person who helped me out, even if they had no clue what they were doing or acted like a complete jerk. I don't know if they're brand new to the job or what kind of day they've had.

I did that anyways before I even started working retail. If I hate it when people ask if I need help why would I want to go nag someone else for it? I've always liked to just do my own thing. I usually can find what I'm looking for Target has made me a whiz at finding shit in random locations you wouldn't even think of so I almost never ask for help.

ABSOLUTELY. Although,

I've never been in a situation where I needed something and either didn't know exactly where the item was located, or was unable to find it quickly just by looking.

I honestly can't ever remember asking for help, and going out of my way not too.

I also have gotten the habit of stowing away my shopping cart I am using like a Re-shop cart.

I'm an independent shopper as well. However there are things customers, guests, etc. HAVE to ask a worker at "said" store for assistance. For example large items such as Furniture, Bicycles or something like that. Other products are security protected so only workers can retrieve it for you. #Justsayin

I'm not a needy shopper, but I'm not too stubborn to ask for help if I need it. And when I ask a question, it's usually something specific and hopefully easy to answer (ex: do you know if there is a display or endcap with any more of this specific item?)

I'm short so I sometimes need help reaching items towards the back of the top shelf. Either that or I gotta climb up on the fixtures, but most stores frown upon that. I still do that anyway if I'm in a hurry.

Or stand on the basedeck batting at a box of something with a box of something else so you can knock it over and reach it that way.

Yeah, I do that too...but I am really short so that doesn't always work.

I tend not to worry about asking where something is, but I don't try and bug people much. I know they have plenty to do. I also don't like doing store pickup anymore.

I've always been pretty independent, but after Target for 8 years, I know I don't need to bother workers at any store.

HOWEVER, other customers must pick up on this vibe, because they seem to assume I work at whatever store I'm at, no matter how off brand my clothing may be. In the past couple years I've had people ask me for help at... Best Buy (multiple times) Targets that weren't mine, Old Navy, Jo-Ann Fabrics (... literally, I've seen a total of one guy working at a Jo-Anns... and I wasn't wearing a green apron at the time), the library, Home Depot, and a handful of other places).

One time I was at a giant liquor store. The uniform at that place was black pants, white embroidered long sleeve shirt and a headset. I was wearing jeans, an off white shirt with Donkey Kong on the front and a pair of pink headphones. As I'm wandering around, I walk past a guy who lets out an exasperated gasp. He then says "EXCUSE ME!!!" I take my headphone out of my ear and look at him. He goes "I was trying to ASK YOU a question! And you just stormed by me! Where is the (some sort of wine) at!?!?" I just stare at him, put my headphone back in and say "I don't work here." And walk off.

I make it about 30 paces before someone comes up to me to ask where the bathroom is. At that point, I just had to leave.

Yes. I hate asking for help; I feel like I'm being too needy. If I do ask, I keep it brief and to the crux of what I need.

I don't like when retail employees act like I'm bothering them for asking a simple question though. I see that way too often, even among my own coworkers, and that's not a good attitude to have when your job is literally 90% helping people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back