Archived Helping someone versus liability

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was pulling into my Target yesterday 15 minutes early. and I saw a woman in a motorized wheelchair who most likely has CP struggling to get up the sidewalk hill in the hot (heat index has been close to 100) sun. As I passed her I saw her about the burst into tears. Dozens of cars were passing and nobody was stopping. She shops here often and is very nice.

A TL was outside out of view of her and I asked her if I could help her. She looked up and said something about liability, but after a minute of watching her she said "Go ahead and help her." I went up to the woman and asked her if she needed help. She said no, but I could tell it was an embarrassed no. I asked her if I could call someone and took out my phone but she didn't want that. After seeing her struggling stuck in the same spot in the hot hot sun, I begin gently pushing her to the busy intersection. Her chair got stuck on the curbcut, a little in the street, but people were mindful and went around her. My store is across from the most popular news studio in my area and at one point I'm 90% sure a popular weatherman was in a convertible next to us watching us. After a few light cycles I helped her cross the street and she continued to her apartment building very slowly. She was extremely grateful. I then crossed back, hoping she made it the two blocks to her building.

I'm not concerned but in Target's eyes, this was the wrong thing to do, right? I was in red and khaki but off the clock.

Another time a few months ago a TM has an extremely urgent family emergency (mom tried to end her life) and with permission from the LOD I drove him to the hospital she was at (he takes public trans), on the clock. In my opinion sometimes it's better to intervene and help someone than to worry about what it may do to your job. Not that I would intervene in an AP situation but if I see someone struggling, I'm going to help them.

Even if you were in red & khaki, it's not like you were acting in your capacity as a TM in either instance.
You weren't placing the other person or yourself in peril & the woman could've likely suffered heat exhaustion - if not heat stroke - without your assistance.

Just from your description of the situation, I know what store you're at. If you want to protect your real identity, be careful with how detailed you are in your postings. And, hell yes, you did the right thing. If management gives you grief about it, just say you felt you were doing the Vibe and giving a guest an "Amazing" experience.

I saw her in the store today. She was extremely grateful.

Just from your description of the situation, I know what store you're at. If you want to protect your real identity, be careful with how detailed you are in your postings. And, hell yes, you did the right thing. If management gives you grief about it, just say you felt you were doing the Vibe and giving a guest an "Amazing" experience.

Why don't you come and say hi? :p Thanks for the tip but for the almost 7 years I have posted on this forum I have never been secretive about where my store is. I remember one time someone posted to the front page of CNN about a black Friday article and my store was pictured complete with someone wearing an Eagles jacket waiting in line. I identified it as mine. :p

Specific-ish info warning...

...we had a guest have a heart attack in the entrance vestibule. Gstm was emt certified. She hauled ass in heels and a skirt to help. Responding emts said she probably saved his life by being there immediately. Did they worry about liability? Yes. Was she willing to leave spot if they pushed? Yes. Thankfully it ended well and most of our tls backed her decision, at least on the floor where we could hear them talk.

I'm the same way. If I'm certified by the state outside if spot, I'm doing it. Or if it's something simple. As many times as I've walked to my car at night alone, to put a heavy team lift item in the trunk-I know they only care even they want to.

My stores used to jump start cars for guests...then we were not allowed.

To gently inform guests not to take the electric carts outside.

Never to cross the street or leave the parking lot to collect carts.

If Food Ave ran out of something, we were to no longer allowed to requisition anything from inside or outside the store.

We were told not to provide any medical attention to an injured guest. Bandage or CPR (even with certification and/or instructed by 911).

We had two TMs one from BR and one in Pharm who were part time EMTs.
They told the me that it didn't matter what the rules were if someone was hurt they would help no matter what happened to them.
I have First Aid training and if no one else could step forward I sure as hell would.
The whole idea of standing back because of company rules when it comes to another human being baffles me.

We had two TMs one from BR and one in Pharm who were part time EMTs.
They told the me that it didn't matter what the rules were if someone was hurt they would help no matter what happened to them.
I have First Aid training and if no one else could step forward I sure as hell would.
The whole idea of standing back because of company rules when it comes to another human being baffles me.
Yup. Especially these days. We need to help not take video for posting on YouTube.

My stores used to jump start cars for guests...then we were not allowed

I've used my AAA membership twice to get guests' keys out of their cars. The guy that came the 2nd time didn't like it but of course opened their door anyway.

I've jump-started a car for a disabled guest in the rain.
I've done countless icepacks for kids of stupid parents.
I've done basic first-aid for guests who then decided NOT to file an incident report.
I know my state has Samaritan laws to protect non-responders but if Spot was going to fire me for helping someone in dire need, so be it. Fortunately, it's a moot point now.

I had a lady who asked then tried to pay me $20 to drive an electric cart out to her car. I gently explained I can't, its a liability and safety issue. If I did, I would be fired.

First of all, thank you for being kind and considerate. The world could use more people like you. Secondly, how sad is it that we live in a world where people have to worry about doing the right thing...because they could be sued, fired etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back