Archived I have a problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackoutbaby09

The Original Doll
I have a problem with confrontation at my job. I work as a cashier and at guest services, and whenever I find myself facing conflict, I get frightened. It's a problem. Like, I always have to call my GSA to do the "dirty work" for me. Can someone give me advice in solving this problem?

If you are confident in the policies, it will be easier for you. Also, state the policy in question to the guest instead of saying no. That way, it's Target saying no, not you saying it. "I'm sorry, Target's policy is to take only 4 of any one coupon."

I struggle with the same problem, though I've got much better at at it. I think it's a mix of my own personal insecurities, and the lack of consistency amongst policies and leadership. Every guest situation is different and unique. Once I got comfortable in my work center, I got a lot better in standing my ground. I now only have to ask for help if the guest insists on speaking to a manager. Unfortunately, I'm not intimidating enough, or at least I don't get taken as seriously I guess. I cringe every time I have to bother an LOD or GSTL just because the guest won't accept an answer from me.

I guess my best advice would be to simply tell leadership about your concerns with how to handle guest conflicts. I wouldn't call it "conflicts" though, because I don't think your leadership would like you calling guest interactions as "conflicts." I would just try and get the point across of "how much authority do I have" so you don't have to call leadership as much. Hopefully they'll work with you. In the past I've just been told to "say yes to everything." That did not please me, it's so dismissive. Lol.

Also, I would just get as well informed about policies as you can, so guests don't argue you into a corner. The more confidence you have, the easier it is to honor said policies.

I know how you feel. Our store pretty much did away with policy except in instances when AP had to get involved.

The problem is, it is really hard for anyone to feel confident in their abilities to handle difficult guests if they don't think they will be backed up by those above them. If a GSA is near by, that is the perfect time to step up and do what you know is right. If you let the GSA know at the beginning of your shift that you want to do that, they will stick around if they see it happening...so they can support you if needed but will stay in the background so you can have the control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back