Is this Real Life? (A Market vent thread)

Washing tubs...is your store rolling in free hours? We have a vendor who washes our carts, they were in a few weeks ago...but I have never seen anyone ever wash a tub?
If I had to put my food in a tub without a case to hold it I would be washing it with my own two hands. We (still) have oodles of hours for market. Opener, midshift and closer. Plus a C&S person for meat/produce three days a week. Short a PA right now so more hours than we can fill. Not sure where they keep stealing them from since the rest of the salesfloor is tighter than anything.

If it's Chobani yogurt you can send some my way. ;)

This crap always happens when we have
If I had to put my food in a tub without a case to hold it I would be washing it with my own two hands. We (still) have oodles of hours for market. Opener, midshift and closer. Plus a C&S person for meat/produce three days a week. Short a PA right now so more hours than we can fill. Not sure where they keep stealing them from since the rest of the salesfloor is tighter than anything.

My store just automatically takes hours from market and uses them for salesfloor or whatever else. My HR has directly told me this and it is BS. Especially more so when you consider I or the closer have to basically be on the C+S push team for 3 1/2 to 4 hours sometimes and push out Mcclane by ourselves. Those hours add up fast

C+S arrived late Friday, so I wasn't able to really push much produce before I had to clock out (around 1:45pm). I had some unexpected help from someone added to the C+S team who started 12:00pm (to do a 4-hour shift). He said he could finish the two pallets before his shift ended. Okay.

On Saturday evening (around 8pm), I drop by the store to see how Pfresh is doing. The area looked like crap -- shopped through, disorganized, lot of empty spots on the shelves, and not a team member in sight. I track down the closer, who was pulled away from the produce area to push dry market CAFs. So I take a peak in the coolers in the backroom -- not a pleasant sight. I find the half-full pallets of produce (mainly fruits: watermelons, apples, grapes) sitting in the produce cooler, along with a full tub of produce backstock (supposedly), a shopping cart full of drinks (Suja, Naked, Bolthouse), and a 3-tier cart of unopened boxes of salads. The ambient room had a metro rack full of bananas that hadn't been pushed plus another metro rack full of dry produce that was untouched. In the dairy cooler, there were 2 nearly full pallets -- one full of specialty milk, juices, lemonade, and coffees, the other featured a mix of deli, yogurt, coffee creamers, and cheeses. And the room was a mess with a couple of pallets of milk and shopping carts/3-tier carts/metro racks/flatbeds/tubs of either backstock or CAFs that haven't been touched (in weeks, seemingly). Move to the meat cooler, and no one has pushed the meat metro rack, and there are flatbeds/tubs of backstock (of lunchmeat/Lunchables) plus CAFs and a cart of refrigerated dog/cat food from Mcclane. And the freezer is a complete mess -- backstock all over the place, CAFs in front, to the side, and way in the back, and a pallet of ice. So I speak to the ETL-GE who was closing LOD that evening, and later I spoke to a SFTL about the situation.

A little background: I have a new CTL who is learning the market/Pfresh department. I'm a PA, and there is another PA, but his hours have been cut severely due to his school schedule (he's only available to work Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and he spent all Sunday catching up on doing sales planners, so no help from him with market). And we have a crew of 3 to 4 for C+S on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I told my CTL that I would take care of the "U", freeing the C+S team to focus solely on pushing dairy and freezer. I've been able to keep my end up, but the C+S team hasn't been able to keep up with the dairy (yogurt, juices, cheese) / lunchmeat / freezer. In fact, they've been leaving pallets unfinished and/or untouched for the past few weeks. And autofills from those areas never gets pushed, because the closer is always pulled away to do something else, so those CAFs just sit in the coolers taking up space. And backroom isn't backstocking any of the coolers, since no one is pushing and/or clipping what is actual backstock (in fact, sometimes when it is backstock, they just take the backstock clip off and send it out again as a CAF).

When I clock in on Sunday, I fill the bananas, which haven't been filled since Saturday morning. Then I fill up the metro rack with the remaining boxes of bananas from Friday's pallet and remove that pallet from the ambient room. Then I push the dry market metro rack -- lots of it will go out: pineapples, bagged avocados, tomatoes, red onions, russet potatoes, bagged sweet onions, sweet potatoes. A couple of items can't go out yet because the plano team hasn't reset the dry tables yet (candied apples, bagged sweet potatoes, and, coming soon, pumpkins).

While I get the chance, I pull out a shopping cart of bakery from the C+S from Friday (apparently none of the C+S team is willing to push bakery, so they just set it aside for someone -- me -- to push). The Kings Hawaiian section of the bakery table was completely empty, embarrassingly so because those items are big sellers, so I took the boxes of sliced bread (1 box) and the sweet rolls (3 boxes) and filled them. While I was at it, I filled the ice (a pallet of which no one but me was willing to touch). After a 15-minute break, I finished pushing what was left of that shopping cart of bakery (muffins, rolls, brat buns). I knew there was more bakery in the back, but I had to start pushing the produce.

I brought out the two half-full pallets of produce and pushed them entirely -- only a box of watermelons, red grapes, and black grapes was left -- all of the apples went out. Then I pushed out some old backstock of apples and cantaloupe which all went out. Before lunch, I went to the freezer to pull out boxes of Kings Hawaiian that were sitting on flatbeds/tubs plus pulled from the back using a mydevice. I filled the Kings Hawaiian side of the bakery table (hamburger buns, savory rolls, deluxe hamburger buns, sweet roll 4-pack, and mini-sub rolls) before heading to lunch.

When I returned from lunch, I had some guests asking for Horizon milk and sour cream, so I made my way through the maze that is the dairy cooler. I found the sour cream and filled the location. I found the gallons of Horizon milk and filled that location. I found the six-packs of small boxed Horizon milks and filled that. And I filled the cartons of Horizon milk where possible (organic whole milk, organic whole milk with DHA, 2%, 2% with DHA). Then I got out of there.

I repushed the two metro racks of produce and one metro rack of organic. Then I pushed the 3-tier cart of salads (most of which went out). Then I pushed the shopping cart of drinks. All while maintaining a presence in the "U" (answering questions or just asking "Can I help you find something?")... And they wonder why our "vibe" score has been down for so long... I take my last fifteen minute break while my fellow PA spent his shift on sales planners that were weeks behind and not helping me out.

After my last break, I brought out the tub of produce and proceeded to push as much of it as I could before I had to clock out. I got through more than half of it, but I was unable to finish it, though I attempted to sort out what was genuinely backstock and what could be pushed. The closer came in, and I told him to make sure to finish pushing the 2 pallets in dairy and clear out that room for Monday's C+S delivery. I'll probably be responsible for making space in the freezer... *SIGH* At least the produce cooler is looking good.

Got the new pfab or whatever it is.

Kind of confused by it. The produce cooler revision is this week. Is pog gonna have to do a whole new one week of October 11?

Revision is to take away your discontinued items(Cherries/stone fruits) and add new items. The inline produce is really easy...I think it was 6 label strips total. It's 15-20 minutes worth of work, including cleaning. The produce table though is a pain. Always is for this switch. Apple moves to the front, pumpkins to the side. Same as every year.

You mean to the point to where they can't be read/scanned? Happens all the time from my FDC. I'll usually drop a message on mySupport and it will usually be fixed half way through the next truck.

You mean to the point to where they can't be read/scanned? Happens all the time from my FDC. I'll usually drop a message on mySupport and it will usually be fixed half way through the next truck.
same here and sometimes even NO labels on all of the freezer pallets
back to the c&s days, bcode

Yesterday every single label was unscanable. I had to b-code every box for backstock. This has been a problem for months to varying degrees. The extra labor hours at the store level to rectify this is ridiculous. My ETL said yesterday "I'll talk to my peers about it." Yea, you do that buddy.
I think we all need to get really loud about this. Lots of complaints to the FDC and maybe it'll get resolved.

Yesterday every single label was unscanable. I had to b-code every box for backstock. This has been a problem for months to varying degrees. The extra labor hours at the store level to rectify this is ridiculous. My ETL said yesterday "I'll talk to my peers about it." Yea, you do that buddy.
I think we all need to get really loud about this. Lots of complaints to the FDC and maybe it'll get resolved.
Best bet is mysupport. There should be trailer feedback as well under mysupport that requires them to respond within, I think, 48 hours.

So got around to cleaning the 3 stationary metro racks in produce the other day. Had to demerch all 3 and it was so bad my SFT and I took each one out 1 by 1 powerwashed them outside and brought them back in. Just way too much time would of been spent on doing it by hand going in every little nook and cranny getting mold, dust and whatever else was on those things. It was also a great time to get a full floor clean in there so I cleaned out ALL of the grout and the tiling with 2 different scrubs. :D

It was a good day even if that project took the majority of it. Still managed to do the autofills, backstock them, push out milk that came in, and merch back everything onto those backroom shelves oh and also do SDA for the floor and the backroom and QMOS and dump stuff out. Had about 50 egg substitute cartons that were bad :eek:

Im thankful my backroom doesnt seem to be as bad as alot of peoples here. I think it helps that I try to keep a focus on backroom and the new PA we have now was previously backroom and dealt heavily with the food side of things in the backroom and they go a great job:)

Last edited:
So got around to cleaning the 3 stationary metro racks in produce the other day. Had to demerch all 3 and it was so bad my SFT and I took each one out 1 by 1 powerwashed them outside and brought them back in. Just way too much time would of been spent on doing it by hand going in every little nook and cranny getting mold, dust and whatever else was on those things. It was also a great time to get a full floor clean in there so I cleaned out ALL of the grout and the tiling with 2 different scrubs. :D

It was a good day even if that project took the majority of it. Still managed to do the autofills, backstock them, push out milk that came in, and merch back everything onto those backroom shelves oh and also do SDA for the floor and the backroom and QMOS and dump stuff out. Had about 50 egg substitute cartons that were bad :eek:

Im thankful my backroom doesnt seem to be as bad as alot of peoples here. I think it helps that I try to keep a focus on backroom and the new PA we have now was previously backroom and dealt heavily with the food side of things in the backroom and they go a great job:)
I keep threatening to convert all my metros to wheeled.

We finally received candy apples. Yay! Bought some tonight.

Who the hell buys plain candy apples? The peanut ones are the only ones that move at my store. The spooky sprinkles, we'll donate about 60% of them. Plain, nearly 9 out of every ten.

Also, the apple boxes stacked up front look like crap. Bad call, Target.

If my store didn't wait until FRIDAY to do the dam reset I'd tell y'all how it went.

Tuesday I just had C&S team push some of the new stuff out, so we have bagged sweet potatoes, some candy apples, and those bagged pumpkins.

I'm so glad we sell pears. I fucking love pears

If my store didn't wait until FRIDAY to do the dam reset I'd tell y'all how it went.

Tuesday I just had C&S team push some of the new stuff out, so we have bagged sweet potatoes, some candy apples, and those bagged pumpkins.

I'm so glad we sell pears. I fucking love pears
Where were you last fall? We got a case, nof. Printed out a billion as-is for .07 each. Still a hard sell.

You must have nice teeth. Pears and apples help battle germs and left over food through salival production.

Weird random fact.

Back