Archived Last Minute Schedule Changes-legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

signingminion

WAVing in the air like I just don't care
It was handed down from the powers above that we abruptly change our shifts starting immediately. Schedule has obviously already been posted for weeks. I'm tempted to fight it, but not sure per policy what kind of fight I'm facing. Help?

I don't know the exact wording, but I've always been under the impression that schedule changes must be communicated in a reasonable timeframe. To me, last minute isn't reasonable and is probably illegal in a lot of places.

I don't know the exact wording, but I've always been under the impression that schedule changes must be communicated in a reasonable timeframe. To me, last minute isn't reasonable and is probably illegal in a lot of places.
The only wording I could find in the handbook online was rather vague and written to cover anything they did it seemed. Less than 24hr notice and changing the schedule for whatever reason they pull out of their assess is pissing us off.

Seeing as you aren't the only person affected by it if you really want to push back it's a safe anonymous hotline call since they will have no idea who did it.

We once had our Starbucks schedule written by the computer (Which screwed it up), we rewrote it and had every tm sign the new schedule agreeing to work those hours.

I remember once we had a truck get cancelled due to weather. I called every flow team member in the store to tell them not to come but the ones that did still got paid.

Seeing as you aren't the only person affected by it if you really want to push back it's a safe anonymous hotline call since they will have no idea who did it.

We once had our Starbucks schedule written by the computer (Which screwed it up), we rewrote it and had every tm sign the new schedule agreeing to work those hours.

I remember once we had a truck get cancelled due to weather. I called every flow team member in the store to tell them not to come but the ones that did still got paid.
I could see it if there was no work at the current scheduled shifts, but that's not reality. It's also kind of how I'm reading the handbook, but its vague.

It's sadly not any anonymous call, the last time the flow team tried that they interrogated them individually til someone cracked.

I could see it if there was no work at the current scheduled shifts, but that's not reality. It's also kind of how I'm reading the handbook, but its vague.

It's sadly not any anonymous call, the last time the flow team tried that they interrogated them individually til someone cracked.
The old good ETL/bad ETL trick, eh!? Well I ain't no rat and I sure as hell ain't gonna rat on myself, you see!

Ok, ok it was Jimmy Two-Toes who done the call, he needed that shift off to take his ma to the doc, you gotta go easy on 'em!

The old good ETL/bad ETL trick, eh!? Well I ain't no rat and I sure as hell ain't gonna rat on myself, you see!

Ok, ok it was Jimmy Two-Toes who done the call, he needed that shift off to take his ma to the doc, you gotta go easy on 'em!
flow team isn't quick thinking. I'm sure they started with "do you have a problem changing schedules " then some praise then "has anyone else expressed concerns with the change in schedule" and they just let it spill.

I just don't have time for interrogation. I've got a remodel to botch on daytime shifts...

flow team isn't quick thinking. I'm sure they started with "do you have a problem changing schedules " then some praise then "has anyone else expressed concerns with the change in schedule" and they just let it spill.

I just don't have time for interrogation. I've got a remodel to botch on daytime shifts...
I never been in this exact situation, but I have had times with scheduling problems (too many hours since I work another job, scheduled outside availability). I changed my avaliabilty and spoke with my ETLs and STL about the issues. If they started changing my shift times out of the blue I'd be having an emergency meeting with them real quick.

I never been in this exact situation, but I have had times with scheduling problems (too many hours since I work another job, scheduled outside availability). I changed my avaliabilty and spoke with my ETLs and STL about the issues. If they started changing my shift times out of the blue I'd be having an emergency meeting with them real quick.
My availability has been open 24/6 for years. I keep one day unavailable to spend with my husband but otherwise its open to allow for 4am, 6am, overnight, whatever shifts. They've never insulted the whole team by forcing us to change shifts in a day before...

Don't know about other states but in NY businesses can change your schedule no less than 24 before you are scheduled. This includes any printed schedule regardless of how many weeks are printed ahead. So, for example, if you were scheduled on say Friday at 4pm they must change it by 4pm on Thursday. They must change it on the printed schedule. It is considered the employees responsibility to check the schedule each day.

Don't know about other states but in NY businesses can change your schedule no less than 24 before you are scheduled. This includes any printed schedule regardless of how many weeks are printed ahead. So, for example, if you were scheduled on say Friday at 4pm they must change it by 4pm on Thursday. They must change it on the printed schedule. It is considered the employees responsibility to check the schedule each day.
So, if you are off the day they change the schedule, how are you supposed to check?

that sounds one lawsuit away from being changed, lol.

It sounds ominously like a long term change. I'd go straight to the source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back