New Merch Ops TL

Basically I will own presentation, pricing, receiving, instocks & the backroom. My team will have to know all facets of each of these & I have to do assignment sheets each day for what they will be doing. Apparently I’ll know more soon once they give us the breakdown of what payroll will look like & how many TMs I’ll have for this team.

This is my fear. They said I’ll have a minimum of 6 TMs & I allocate them where needed. Each week we’ll have the same amount of payroll & I have to determine where people are needed most. We roll it out officially on March 5th so I’ll post updates as it happens

Have they said anything about how it will work given that fulfillment falls under the Merchandise Operations ETL? I'm curious if stores without a significant volume will lose their Fulfillment TL for a Merchandise Operations TL instead that helps oversee fulfillment as well as the other processes (similar to GMTLs overseeing Inbound in stores without Inbound TLs).

It's also a bit concerning for them both to be under the same ETL. I can already imagine some Merchandise Operations ETLs pulling their Merchandise Operations Experts to backup fulfillment when they really should be exempt from that given how important these processes are (that corporate backtracked on Modernization for this speaks volumes to that).

Not sure, I was fulfillment lead before they switched me over. My friends in our district are all keeping their fulfillment leads as well. Most of us are pretty high volume. My store, that team runs very efficiently where I typically didn’t have to pick carts unless it was q4 so I don’t plan on giving up my Merch ops team to support unless it’s critical.

I like that they are bringing back some of the old teams. It will be interesting especially during big sets and potentially will have more tm then we currently do. Same with pricing. Is it pricing for entire store? Reverse logistics typically works w/ inbound in my store. Use them to help push the truck. Are they still acting as receiver? Love bringing back backroom. In our store currently we have one dayside that finishes up any left over priority push and pulls during the day. Keeps backroom organized. We have up to 2 at night that pull priority and oos 100% or darn close! It has worked out pretty good. Only hiccup is when plano doesn't pull their pogs, although dayside br is suppose to help with that.

I like that they are bringing back some of the old teams. It will be interesting especially during big sets and potentially will have more tm then we currently do. Same with pricing. Is it pricing for entire store? Reverse logistics typically works w/ inbound in my store. Use them to help push the truck. Are they still acting as receiver? Love bringing back backroom. In our store currently we have one dayside that finishes up any left over priority push and pulls during the day. Keeps backroom organized. We have up to 2 at night that pull priority and oos 100% or darn close! It has worked out pretty good. Only hiccup is when plano doesn't pull their pogs, although dayside br is suppose to help with that.
Yes pricing for entire store. The idea of this team is that everyone who is a Merch ops tm knows how to do everything in that business unit. We will give them assignment sheets on where they are for the day with their tasks. So someone may be pricing one day, then the next they’re findability. There is one main receiver but everyone will be backup trained on it.

Yes pricing for entire store. The idea of this team is that everyone who is a Merch ops tm knows how to do everything in that business unit. We will give them assignment sheets on where they are for the day with their tasks. So someone may be pricing one day, then the next they’re findability. There is one main receiver but everyone will be backup trained on it.

This sounds like a pared down DBO role for those TMs. And one that won't work very well all the time (especially with Plano)--unless you're lucky enough to have veteran TMs who have been around for longer than 5 years.

This sounds like a pared down DBO role for those TMs. And one that won't work very well all the time (especially with Plano)--unless you're lucky enough to have veteran TMs who have been around for longer than 5 years.
At my store -- I can't really think of anyone that would be good for this Merch Ops team. It's a *lot* of detail work, and people that tend to enjoy working backroom -- don't usually like setting, or pricing. And vice versa.

And "same payroll each week" -- doesn't sound all that great. workload for pricing tends to be high around the same time as POG + backroom (ie. transitions.)

Would you own pricing for GM/Food and Style?
Is there 6 people on your team daily? or total? Is the Receiver one of the six people?

Last edited:
VERY frustrating to see. As a former Instocks tm, one of our biggest issue was the plano team not changing capacities and not doing SFQ because "we don't have time for that". Having those setting plano also doing instocks seems pretty futile.
We would have POGs *tied*, but not set and/or pulled..... so product was in the wrong place, and the *fill* batches would be bigger than they should have been [for the instocks team]

I am getting hives just thinking about all the bullshit that goes along with Instocks..... and Pricing... and setting... and managing the backroom

will food & bev also unload c&s? They arrive at our store anytime between 4 and 6 and we have to stop unload to take care of c&s.

VERY frustrating to see. As a former Instocks tm, one of our biggest issue was the plano team not changing capacities and not doing SFQ because "we don't have time for that". Having those setting plano also doing instocks seems pretty futile.
Plano at my store seems to never “have time“ for anything other than setting, unless they are watched like a hawk.

Cool, I hope we get it. This worked so much better than that modernization bullshit. I do like the new name though...

What does this re-branding of instocks look like? Scanning and pulling outs/lows?

Last edited:
Back